How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-12-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92
i ordered something over the phone from a nordstroms in california and had it shipped to me and was charged full price. however when i got the item the tag looked like it had sale stickers on it and then removed in two places. i was not happy.

from your experience either shopping or working, does this happen a lot?

complaining over the phone to the SA and the person answering CS line did nothing, the stock answer i got from both was "this brand never goes onsale" which was bunk.

should i write a letter to the manager? i was so surprised when this happened as nordstroms is known for their customer service.
Lucy ... those stickers might not be "sale" stickers. I think that Nordstroms is like the other major department stores here in Calif. Most stores here place a bar code sticker on the tag whenever something is sold over the counter ... so that when it is returned, they know it was paid for and not stolen and they also know how it was paid for (credit card number, etc.). So there's a possibility that that what you bouught was sold and returned and then re-sold to you. Just a thought ....

14-12-2006
catch me if you can

BetteT..you are correct. I used to work there and we placed stickers on the back on what we sold for tracking purposes.

rising star

So I'm hoping this is the right thread... How does wardrobe go on at higher-end stores? Like if you work at Prada they hopefully don't expect you to own multiple outfits. Is there like an employee closet or do you just have to dress the part on your own?

15-12-2006
catch me if you can

Well that is the benefit of the employee discount...they want you to buy their clothes and represent their brand. Some stores give new employees a larger discount for a limited amount of time in order to get the high end wardrobe up and running. Some store require that you wear their clothing, and some do not. If you can look the part, that works well too.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd0ll
When do retail stores/companies generally start hiring for the holiday rush? I'd like to know so I can be prepared to start handing out resumes. Thanks.
Actually many places will start in July or August...it's best to apply then because it's less competitive. I am seasonal at Bath and Body Works (hoping it turns into more though) and I applied in August and I was the only person in my interview, whereas interviews in November were numbering 12 to 15 people. If you wait til even October to apply, your chances of getting a holiday position are significantly lower because there are not as many places to fill. Plus, we had several different training days and if you get trained earlier you can get more in favour and get to know the superiors and get more hours sooner.

I know about some stores requiring that you wear their current season's clothing when you work. I know Macy's just requires you to look professional and have something black in your outfit (I applied there). Some stores barely even have a discount or if they do, it's insignificant to the point where in order to keep up with the clothes you'd need a second job.

17-12-2006
V.I.P.

there have been several lawsuits against stores like Abercrombie for forcing their employees to buy and wear current season items as it almost is a "uniform".

17-12-2006
tfs star

Abercrombie is a horrible place to work for. I would love to work for Versace one day, as a designer or an associate. But I'm about to try to work at Bebe or Betsey Johnson for the time being. Does anyone know if these stores hire males?

17-12-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
Lucy ... those stickers might not be "sale" stickers. I think that Nordstroms is like the other major department stores here in Calif. Most stores here place a bar code sticker on the tag whenever something is sold over the counter ... so that when it is returned, they know it was paid for and not stolen and they also know how it was paid for (credit card number, etc.). So there's a possibility that that what you bouught was sold and returned and then re-sold to you. Just a thought ....
This also helps people who get a product gratis, or from ebay (cheap) or another store..........from returning it........and getting more than they paid etc.

18-12-2006
trendsetter

Abercombie wasn't so horrible, the people who shop there are.
Anyway, its only natural they would expect you to project the image of the brand you're working for. Though, completely not my taste and now I have clothes I would never wear again!

Last edited by kateelle; 18-12-2006 at 05:45 PM.
19-12-2006
front row

at Ralph Lauren you are strongly encouraged to wear the clothes (as in tyou will be sent home if you don't look Ralph enough). One outfit (or 1500 worth, obviously men get more bang for their buck than women) is given to you, but if you quit before 90 days, you give it back. You can also buy at 65% (40% off everything at the outlets) discount on everything you can wear to work (but you can't wear polos, casual looking things if you are a girl, plus all clothing must be in the shades of the current season that is on the floor, ie no lime cashmere sweater when the current collection is black and grey). It's a good deal if you are 40ish and lacking in taste but the majority of the clothes are so hideous if you are in your twenties you really should find a different place.

19-12-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalm
at Ralph Lauren you are strongly encouraged to wear the clothes (as in tyou will be sent home if you don't look Ralph enough). One outfit (or 1500 worth, obviously men get more bang for their buck than women) is given to you, but if you quit before 90 days, you give it back. You can also buy at 65% (40% off everything at the outlets) discount on everything you can wear to work (but you can't wear polos, casual looking things if you are a girl, plus all clothing must be in the shades of the current season that is on the floor, ie no lime cashmere sweater when the current collection is black and grey). It's a good deal if you are 40ish and lacking in taste but the majority of the clothes are so hideous if you are in your twenties you really should find a different place.
is this the same for Rugby???

I think I want to try to get a job at Rugby when I move.

19-12-2006
trendsetter

pinkpalm- how long did you stand working for them? That sounds too oppressive for me.

19-12-2006
catch me if you can

^^I agree. T hats nuts.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
is this the same for Rugby???

I think I want to try to get a job at Rugby when I move.
No. Rugby is not on comission and therefore to keep them in "story" (RL refers to every outfit as a story) they have to provide the clothes.... typically 3-4 outfits and god forbid that you don't show up in all Rugby.I have heard that if you are over a 6 (female) or a 34 waist (male) don't bother.

20-12-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateelle
pinkpalm- how long did you stand working for them? That sounds too oppressive for me.
It was living hell. I lastedc 2 1/2 months and said screw it and returned the 1 outfit my 1500 had gotten me, which was pretty much worn to shreads. The other things I had bought, I sold on ebay. It was so God awful.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales