How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2006
tfs star

You have to have a lot of knowledge of what products you have in the store and what looks good together, that's the technique of adding on and bringing in more sales. Also recognize what style the customer has and always be NICE!

12-05-2006
V.I.P.

ok thx a lot

14-05-2006
fashion insider

i have worked in retail for almost four years. i have two majors and graduate in a year. i am so sick of my jobs.

does anyone know how i break into working at a high end store? i don't want to work at saks or neimans, i want to work at a small boutique type place. i am great with clients and even have some who refuse to shop if i'm not working. i know A LOT about fashion/styling and i'd rather put my knowledge to good use with people who appreciate/know beautiful things, while getting paid for the type of service i provide.

i worked at gap for a LONG time, later moving to victoria's secret (working both places) and now i'm at banana republic and still at vic's. my current store manager is trying to talk me into going to 4th and towne (the new gap brand) in the fall with her, but i still would not get paid on comission, which is what i am looking for. i am too good at what i do, and know too much about fashion to be rotting in these retail places.

do i simply turn in a resume? should i call first? i've never been intimidated of anything in my life, but i'm so nervous about applying at these places. i'm positive i can do it, but i just am having trouble approaching it. any help would make me your slave for life. thanks.

15-05-2006
tfs star

Just approach it seriously and professionally as you would a real job. You should have a great resume. Dress the style that they hire and call to inquire about your resume after you've dropped it off a day before with the manager

fashion insider

should i do a cover letter that explains why i fit the job? obviously, i have a lot of experience, but working at gap is worlds apart from a tiny shop that stocks rochas and chloe, which is what i'm aiming for.

i figure if i get the boot, i'll just opt for lame places. we have kitson-type boutiques, saks and neimans, and i'm sure i could get in any of those places, but this little shop in particular would be a dream come true.

16-05-2006
tfs star

Yes do a cover letter, its an extra boost to show them you are very intelligent, which gives you points

windowshopping

Has anyone here worked as a SA for Chanel?

22-05-2006
tfs star

Ok I'm curious how much discounts that people working at these stores get

Bebe
Arden B
BCBG Max Azria
Zara

Is anyone a SA there?

fashion insider

bebe and arden b. get 30% off, i think.

25-05-2006
tfs star

Wow only 30%? Totally not worth it. I heard around the grapevine that it was 40%

adi
fashion insider

i'm not sure if this belongs here but let's try..

i want to apply to this sort of high-end store (well it's selling little bit more expensive clothes than h&m or other that sort of brands.). it's only a summerjob so they reguire little experience. well i have only expercience selling ice-cream and candy and this sort of thing so i don't know how to built my resume/application.. i would appreciate any hints from those who have worked as SA and others as well

31-05-2006
windowshopping

hello, does anyone know how to get a position at chanel? or where to ask for it, 'cause i have tried evrything. nothing though. thanks.

31-05-2006
scenester

Good quastion, but im not sure how to get a job at Chanel.But would love to know too.Or any other fashion house?

31-05-2006
windowshopping

My friend at st martins applied once. They told her, not so politley in french, never contact them again!

31-05-2006
fashion insider

just do a regular resume, obviously with your objective being that you're looking to work in retail.

after that, probaly do a cover letter, which should be directed towards the person who does the hiring (call around and get a name). in the letter simply explain why you're right for the job and at the end, always say something like, "i look foward to hearing from you." after you close the letter, throw in your phone number and email address again, just so its easier for them to get ahold of you (it should already be on your resume, but still).

i applied for a job and got an interview last week, and it was AWFUL. the position was for a personal assistant/assistant buyer (that's what the ad said) and the woman i had emailed my resume/cover letter to (the woman who would be my boss) was not even THERE! instead, some hokey sales girl interviewed me and basically the job was going to be to be over the sales girls, while attempting to keep this woman's schedule on track with vendors, clients, etc. the girl interviewing me was SO unprofessional, it made me want to barf. the woman is supposed to get back into town late this week and call me. whatevz. i really have no desire to work with them.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales