How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-06-2006
windowshopping

Hi :-)
If i were you, i'd go into a Chanel shop and ask within. Dress smartly, be well spoken and polite and just ask one of the girls (go for the one who looks your age).

There was an article in British Vogue last month about people who worked for high class fashion labels like Chanel and most of them could speak fluently more than one other language, were HIGHLY educated and had worked in another (slightly lower but still elite) label before... by all accounts it extremely difficult to just go and work for Chanel.

You didn't actually say wat sort of job you'd love... do you wanna be a shop assistant? On the make-up counter? In their head office? Designing? What?!

01-06-2006
V.I.P.

^ correct. The likes of Chanel "calls" you not you calling them. And fact working for their corporate office you do require a background from top universities. Extremely highly educated. Looking chic won't cut it.

01-06-2006
backstage pass

A friend of my best friend got an internship w/Chanel in NYC this summer...she did internships at Fred Segal in LA previously which she got thorugh a connection. I would say you need to network your way in...and that wont be easy. Good Luck.

04-06-2006
windowshopping

I have spent the past 3 years in retail (on and off). I have a very good record at JC Penney in the shoe department (base hourly pay slightly over minimum wage + 3-5% commission on each pair you sell. the store discount is 20% but I hardly ever buy anything though they do have pretty nice house stuff) but the job basically sucks. I'm sick of dealing with gross people and screaming kids and a huge department store. I want to work in a small, less hectic and more personal setting.

I just graduated with a degree in Digital Media and would actually like to get into web design at some point, but fashion is my other great love and I can see myself having a temporary (or maybe long-term, if it's PT) retail job.

Anyway, my question is...do you think that based on my sales experience, albeit in a low class store...I would have a chance at getting more of a boutique/high end job? I don't want to inquire at jimmy choo and have them laugh at me, you know?

08-06-2006
backstage pass

has anyone ever worked at victoria's secret? Please PM me if you have...i need advice for my interview tommorow.

11-06-2006
backstage pass

Metropark-job
Hi I am 16 and there is a Metropark(clothing store) opening up in my area in the next few weeks and I know they are going to need employees. My question is do they start hiring at 16. I would highly appreciate a response thanks.

11-06-2006
scenester

i love metropark.d oes anyone know their employee discount. i've tried applying there twice and never heard from them. i honestly think you have to be 18.

where i work at armani exchange you don't need to be 18 to work. had i known sooner i would have applied when i was 17 and stuff.

11-06-2006
backstage pass

Well I know they are going to need people to work there so I will apply anyways. There is no shame in trying.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
JC Penney is probably minimum wage or just above, whilst LV is like 13 +.

Oh yes, seem very chic, if you don't have an amazing bag, don't take one, it's shallow but Im serious, they take everything into account. Also imitate the store's dress code (which is normally a black suit with black and more black, so they think "she'll fit in perfectly"
I happen to be a misses retail associate at JcPenney's thankyou! haha, it's an "alright" job I guess. Just something to help get me through college for a real career one day. We actually have to dress preety nice, due to a new dress code but the pay is actually good as compared to other department stores. I started out making $6.00 hr but my manager uped me to $7.75 in only three weeks! I've almost been there for a year, so the time is coming for my annual raise & hopefully getting promoted & making $8-$10 hr. *crosses fingers* I can't say I like the clothes that much, I'm a college student but I still have expensive taste. lol, lucky for me though I've learned to manage my money wisely. I only receive 20% of merchandise & for every credit card application I process I get an additional $5.00 off so I have tons of dirt cheap bras and tops, it's great!

I would love to work at a better high end boutique, but I'm from a small town in Georgia so there's no hope for that.

Last edited by missbliss; 13-06-2006 at 12:50 AM.
13-06-2006
trendsetter

I have an interview at Club Monaco today, was just wondering if anyone had advice last minute, thanks!

13-06-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey0806
i love metropark.d oes anyone know their employee discount. i've tried applying there twice and never heard from them. i honestly think you have to be 18.

where i work at armani exchange you don't need to be 18 to work. had i known sooner i would have applied when i was 17 and stuff.
Working for Metropark SUCKS!! They don't give any discount & instead of comission you get store credit; this doesn't work out very well for most SA's. One of my former employees went to work there & left after 2 weeks because of the lack of compensation (she was expected to wear the clothes).

13-06-2006
scenester

Anyone who has to go through an online application, sometimes they have a questionnaire about your personality. You should give the BEST answers because there is a score at the end that you don't see but the employer sees and if you score low then they won't even look at your application.

I did that when I worked for a video store. Anyway, right now I work for Limited Brands--Bath & Body Works. As an associate, I get coached a lot with my selling technique. I also get pushed to sell even though I don't get commision. It really doesn't benefit me much, but I'm a people-pleaser and I don't want my managers getting p.o.'d. They don't give many hours. I already put my two weeks in because I'm not going anywhere with that job.

I agree that product knowledge is important when selling. Having a good attitude is too. You want to look like you're excited about helping the customer--even if you have to fake it.

13-06-2006
Naturellement pulpeuse

'I sold my soul to the devil and all I got was 50% off this lousy t-shirt'

-- Latest LVHM staffwear

Quote:
I started out making $6.00

Last edited by PrinceOfCats; 13-06-2006 at 01:53 PM.
13-06-2006

^unspeakable!

backstage pass

Mayim do you know what age Metropark starts hiring?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales