How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2005
rising star

All About Retail: Sales Associates, Management, etc.
Sales associates in boutiques tend to receive 20-30% on clothing, but do they receive discounts on designer handbags also? What about sales associates in places like neimans and saks - do they receive any discount on handbags such as prada, chanel, lv, etc even if they don't work in the handbag department?

Last edited by apple124; 20-12-2005 at 01:19 AM.

20-12-2005
front row

I know that SAs at Gucci gets 50% off handbag and I think it was either 30 or 40% off the other brands that are under the Gucci Group.

I heard somewhere that Coach SAs get 40% off.

And don't know about Neimans and Saks, though I was always curious

20-12-2005
tfs star

my barneys s.a. told me she gets 30% on designer handbags...
maybe i should quit my job and work as an s.a. :p

no kidding, being a good s.a. you can make commissions in the 6-digits per year.

one harvard business school case studies (about incentivizing your employees) talks about a nordstrom shoe saleman who made $400,000 in one year just in commission.

20-12-2005
front row

I've wondered that, too! On a slightly different note, are there requirements for being an SA in the handbag department at Saks or Neiman's or something? Such as certain college degrees or certification in anything? I wonder if all SAs in those stores get discounts in all departments...

20-12-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I read an article on this last week. 40% seems to be the average discount, form what I gathered...

20-12-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edna
I've wondered that, too! On a slightly different note, are there requirements for being an SA in the handbag department at Saks or Neiman's or something? Such as certain college degrees or certification in anything? I wonder if all SAs in those stores get discounts in all departments...

There are no specific requirements (no degree) they can give those jobs to pretty much anybody. Ive been trying to get in at gucci, but our boutique is not big, so there's rarely an open position. Ive heard their employees get 40% discount, but if its 50, thats even more reason for me to work there. And I put in an app at Sak, they called someone for a position in Dior as I was sitting there. I bet that was one happy woman!!--I wished it was me.

20-12-2005
front row

You don't need a degree of any sort to be a SA, but a lot of times they want previous examples of success/experience in retail, especially if it's a competitive (i.e. high-commission) retail sales job.

20-12-2005
trendsetter

A lot of it depends on the price-point of the store. I've worked at a few non-designer retail stores and it depends on the company.

Banana Republic: no commission but you get a discount card that gives you 50% off 6 items a month (3 tops, 3 bottoms), 1 pair of shoes, and 3 accessories. Every month. Plus you can buy 5 items at gap or oldnavy for 30% off each month (but why????). Plus for each "roll-out" of new merchandise you get 60% off 3 items from a list. Plus everything else on sale or in addition is 30% off

Abercrombie: I know I know :eyeroll: . 50% off 2 selected tops and one bottom each season plus 30% off everything else not including sale. (Holister is the same except it's 40% and 20% b/c the clothes are so damn cheap).

Now I work at BCBG and we get 75% off 8 items to kickstart our wardrobe when you are first hired. After that you get 50% off everything in the store but no discount on collection. Or sale items.

I have applied to Nieman Marcus and Nordstrom and inquired but I've never worked there. I'm pretty sure you get at least some sort of discount on everything in the store though. I know for sure this is the case at Nordstrom. I think it's like 30%.

ETA: I don't know about other cities, but in Honolulu, you pretty much can't get a a job at any of the boutiques like Chanel or Hermes, or Gucci, etc, unless you speak Japanese. I haven't inquired but everyone I know who works in one of those kind of stores speaks at least some Japanese. You have to to meet the needs of your clients. I'll admit I wish I knew some. It makes a no brainer job like abercrombie difficult when there is a language barrier, let alone a more clientelle-oriented job like BCBG.

Last edited by pinksatin; 20-12-2005 at 04:02 PM.
20-12-2005
front row

Nordstrom's and Macy*s SAs get 20% off.

I know for macy*s, your discount can be used in conjunction with any other sales or promotions going on so it adds up sometimes.

20-12-2005
V.I.P.

I get two free pairs of shoes per season, then 5 or so pairs at 50 % off then unlimeted discounts for myself, friends and fammily at 20% discount
I work for dune .. a shoe shop in the uk

Last edited by snowqueen; 20-12-2005 at 05:54 PM.
20-12-2005
catch me if you can

I was a manager at Nordstrom for a few years. Managers get 33% off and on special employee days they get 40%. SA's get 20% and on special days they get 30%. And 3 weeks a year they have a 40% off discount for all Nordstrom products.

I have heard that Sak's offers new hires 60% off to kick start their wardrobe as well...but I dont know what it is once they get settled in. I will ask my friend that works there.

V.I.P.

At Vuitton I was told they get 50 and it applies too all of LVMH, including Dior and the such. I would work for Vuitton if I actually respected them as a brand.

I cannot say what my discount is, but it's extremely generous. What the hell. I get 50% off all merchandise, and 65% off all out-of-season items. So on the 26th all the old fall stuff will be 65% off, yay. On shoes, sunglasses and watches we get 40% off, cause they're licensed out.

Bloomingdales is 20% and for Finlay (who license the fine jewelry in Bloomies) its 50% all fine jewlery, incredible.

I wonder what the discount at Chanel is.

Last edited by Diorling; 21-12-2005 at 12:27 AM.
24-12-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepositano
my barneys s.a. told me she gets 30% on designer handbags...
maybe i should quit my job and work as an s.a. :p

no kidding, being a good s.a. you can make commissions in the 6-digits per year.

one harvard business school case studies (about incentivizing your employees) talks about a nordstrom shoe saleman who made $400,000 in one year just in commission.
I remember reading about that in an LA Times article about Nordstrom and their customer service, but they didn't say anything about discounts.

fashion insider

Louis Vuitton Sales Clerk
I want to work at a Louis Vuitton or Gucci boutique as a regular ol' sales clerk. Do I need experience in the field of sales/design or is it like working at a regular department store? I looked it up on their site but they just said to send your 'application' to NYC.

Any info is appreciated

(If this has already been posted, my apologies )

trendsetter

I had a friend who worked at Marc by Marc and he had no previous experience...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
associates, management, retail, sales