How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally posted by marrimoda@Apr 26th, 2004 - 7:47 pm
wow Lena and Softgrey -- you two really have a lot of information. I may have to print out this thread for future reference. I have been learning lately of the "marts" in various cities...LA has its own mart/showroom/fashion center, so do san fran, miami, atlanta. Of course that is a large expense for an emerging designer.
it seems they do business differently in europe than we do in the states...just slightly...i too find it fascinating to hear how things work elsewhere...i understand it's very different in asia...where they have a distibutor...still don't quite get how that works...?...

glad if i helped at all marrimoda...

27-04-2004
V.I.P.

I fidn this all very itnresting, thank you.

windowshopping

all about Showrooms
My twin brother and I run our own t-shirt line for men (expanding into other garments). We have been at it for about a year and half and now we are starting to get in respectable boutiques in New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Japan. As well, as getting a celebrity following.

We are sort of looking for advice on taking it to the next level. I know going to a big trade show would be good (Pool, Project, Designers & Agemts), but it is very costly and I dont think we are ready for it yet.

Our next best option seems to be getting into a showroom. Does anyone have any advice on how to get into a showroom? And what exactly does a showroom do?

Because it seems that getting out there and hitting the pavement yourself (cold-calling and sending samples) is a very slow and costly process. Is there a better way other then showroom, trade shows or cold-calling to get exposure and your stuff into stores?

Thanks,

Parker

02-06-2005
backstage pass

You seem to be doing pretty well, but I can tell you that doing trade shows are not always the best route to take. As you said, they're costly, and some of them are so large that your stand is lost. They tend to put smaller, lesser known designers in the worst positions (giving their regular, big-spending brands the prime areas) and you can watch everyone come through the doors and walk in the opposite direction straight to the big names with the beer fridges! Quite disheartening when you've given over all the money you have to this 3-day event! They are good if you have already a large established client list, but if not I'd avoid.

Showrooms are a better option, but they don't always want to take on a fresh company either. They want to see a fat book of press cuttings and an already established client list as this proves people like and what what you do.

Before all else, I would suggest you devise a press campaign and try to get articles in the best newspapers and magazines (if you already have a celebrity following use this as there's nothing better for getting some exposure. Even the so-called coolest magazines love an excuse to name-drop.) Store buyers read magazines just to find new names. I know how invaluable 10 lines & a small pic can be in a good magazine if you want the best stores calling you up to buy)

Also let stylists know you exist, and send them your Look Books so them to allow them to call in your designs for relevant shoots.

I would spend your money on creating nice Look Books, sending them out to the buyers of all the stores you want in to. Incorporate this into a beautifully packaged box with a sample, designer info, press-book etc. Wow the store buyers!

If you're not located in a major fashion city, rent a hotel room or art-gallery space during fashion week where the world's press and buyers can come and view your collections, meet the designers, drink a glass of fizz and go away with all the information they need to place an order or write an article on you.

Honestly, it's not difficult. If what you have to sell is good, you don't need to spend a fortune or be part of a showroom (quite often, buyers prefer to go straight to the designer - it cuts out agents fees and the agents themselves who most people have an aversion to!)

Hope this helps in some way and good luck!

03-06-2005
windowshopping

Thanks!
Thanks so much for the advice!

We have actually been working with a printer to get lookbooks made this past month and we were going to send press kits to about 50 stores (as a test run) and see what kind of reaction we get.

Thanks,

Parker

03-06-2005
backstage pass

A good source are the Modem Guides you get at fashion weeks, their online version has a comprehensive overview of showrooms all over the globe:

http://www.modemonline.com

04-06-2005
etre soi-meme

great advice from stylista

i also work a lot with cd/rom lookbooks/presskits saves the planet some trees and its much cheaper than printing out all photos etc.
showrooms or trade fairs?
its up to the product really and up to the kind of boutiques you want to attract/present your work. I've done trade fairs (Paris) and its a good way to see the reaction of international buyers. Never tried showrooms really (one needs at least one/two extra sample lines if working with a showroom) but if i ever did it was going to be a Commercial/Press combo showroom.. makes it easier to get your work seen by stylists (even though without adevrtising budget.. stylists cannot do much for a new brand/designer)

btw, if you have a website please PM me the link to have a look twin..
are you ready with the ss06 line yet?

04-06-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
.. makes it easier to get your work seen by stylists (even though without adevrtising budget.. stylists cannot do much for a new brand/designer)
Do you mean that the magazines are only willing to 'plug' labels that pay for advertising space? Politics...

04-06-2005
etre soi-meme

yes, well.. its not even up to stylists, paying 'clients' make sense to have more editorial space than an unknown (and unpaying) label

03-01-2006
windowshopping

Showrooms
Hey guys,

I just had a few questions pertaining to showrooms...

First, does anyone know any tips on how to get into a showroom. We are a t-shirt line and have found it impossible to get into any of the good showrooms that already do big tee lines (select showroom, proper fools, media pimps and brand whores, etc.) It seems that every showroom is at capacity or not looking for lines.

Second, does anyone know any websites that have a list of New York Showrooms?

05-01-2006
V.I.P.

Okay, let me understand this... do you want to SELL your product to a company who has a showroom or do you WANT to lease a showroom?

Because if it's the latter, I have a friend who just got a showroom on Fashion Ave. and all he did was get a realtor to find him one. It's just like finding an apt or condo but with him it's getting a commercial space.

07-01-2006
windowshopping

No....

I am looking for help in finding a showroom to represent my line. Does your friend do men's?

07-01-2006
V.I.P.

^ since your product is T-Shirt, it's probably best to go to boutiques and market there, perhaps, you'll have better luck. Showrooms are strictly exclusive coutures, at least most are.

My friend is strictly haute couture (for women).

08-01-2006
windowshopping

We are past that point...and there are plenty of showrooms that handle t-shirt brands they are just hard to get into because there are not that many of them.

19-02-2006
V.I.P.

What exactly happen in showrooms?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
reps, sales, showrooms