How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-10-2006
trendsetter

What to expect with a new fashion label
Hey everyone,

I know there is tons of threads on "I want to become a designer" and "What should I do", but I was wondering whether anyone can tell me what to expect in terms of sales figures and the likes for a start up designer.

I'm finishing off my business degree while I do my Fashion design degree, so thats not so much the issue, I was just curious if any designers on here could tell me what to expect in terms of how many boutiques/department stores picked them up, especially if they started off with a parade at one of the fashion weeks and how much capital they think is necessary to start off successfully.

I know I interned with one particular designer in Australia who has been doing incredibly well who started off with around $100,000 but struggled a lot in the first two years with that.

Any advice?

Plus if theres any things that came up that you weren't expecting, in regards to expenses, et cetera that weren't expected, it would be a great help to all of us designer 'wannabes'.

Last edited by irresistable_loz; 30-10-2006 at 07:18 PM.

31-10-2006
etre soi-meme

my frist try with Paris trade fairs (during Fashion week) brought me four new clients, but i was already quite experienced in my local market..

as for capital, depends where you are based and what exactly you'd like to achieve..

anything from 50.000$ up will be good to keep you going for the first two seasons

31-10-2006
front row

You'll obviously have to stage private shows or small-scale but hugely popular 'events', like Martin Grant when he was starting up. At one point, he went out into the rue des Rosiers and did a show in the street, just like that! However, since you have no money to buy patronage from mainstream fashion media - any idiot can get column inches if they're buying ad space - you need to think about getting yourself 'adopted' by a stylist and/or an upwardly mobile editor. Getting someone well-known to wear your stuff is also a good move. So is dressing friends who attend shows and, particularly, vernissages and other fashion-related events. You probably have all this sussed already but it's worth repeating because it is a tested way of getting ahead when you haven't a huge budget. Cultivate some up and coming fashion writers as well. Make what you do fun and people who come to see you will tell others because so much of what one has to do during Fashion Week is not fun.

PK

31-10-2006
etre soi-meme

^ correct
fashion weeks are so 'packed' its very hard to 'make a difference' and it can only happen by word of mouth
hiring a good pr can also help, but it can be very expensive and money wont buy these guys either.. they also have to like your work, to see the potential before signing you up..
if you have the money to invest, it's worth it
you'll need to sign a deal at least 10 months before your debut so they have plenty of time to create a buzz

31-10-2006
trendsetter

Thanks guys for the insight I think I'm pretty lucky, I have a friend who does the PR for one of Australia's leading designers who said she'd work for me in a heartbeat so thats awesome. I'll try to get a few more contacts with the magazines and freelance writers and go from there... just have to finish off my degrees now and save up the $$$$$

windowshopping

Hello, I reside in Miami. I am looking to get my own (repeated) print printed. Does anyone know of how/ where I go about this? My company is very new so it wouldn't be huge amounts of fabric. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

09-11-2006
windowshopping

Also, what are the rules of prints? I see many designer fabrics out there for use. Does this mean I can make 10 dresses out of pucci fabric and sell it??
When it comes to prints I am very hazy.

10-11-2006
etre soi-meme

hi and welcome to tFS Donna

whatever is out in the market you can buy and create whatever you like
eg.Etro sells both print fabrics and finished items, if you create a dress with an Etro print fabric, it doesnt make it a by-Etro print dress

the absolute minimum for printing your own design (all over or in a repeat panel) is 50 meters up (for sampling) but not all printing houses are able -or willing- to provinde you with such small quantity, much more if you concider these as your 'production' meters

in anycase be prepared to pay even double the 'normal' price for 50 meters, unique is very expencive, much more for a new/indie designer.

i'd suggest you try creating your own prints using alternative -handmade- printing ways or try to collaborate with fabric designer graducates who could hand print you anything (it will still cost a lot but the result can be pretty out of the ordinary)

10-11-2006
windowshopping

Thanks so much for your response, Lena . This clears up alot : )

25-09-2007
front row

Funding etc for new fashion lines
Hi!

Just wondered if anyone here on TFS had any experience in launching a new fashion line at all? I've got a mad cool concept for a line of clothing however I need help with this venture in terms of PR help, design work and funding.

Thanks in advance!

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLondon View Post
Hi!

Just wondered if anyone here on TFS had any experience in launching a new fashion line at all? I've got a mad cool concept for a line of clothing however I need help with this venture in terms of PR help, design work and funding.

Thanks in advance!
Begin immediately to read the Fashion Incubator website, and buy Kathleen's book.

www.donnajcarty.co.uk

Last edited by BetteT; 30-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.
07-10-2007
windowshopping

My dream is to become a handbag designer. I have books and books of sketches I have done over the years,but I live in a very small town and I have NO clue of how to get started. I am very passionate about fashion and the things I have created. What should I do?

09-10-2007
V.I.P.

^have you tried -making- those bags you've designed?

09-10-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
^have you tried -making- those bags you've designed?

As a matter of fact I have. I was wondering what is the next step after the conception of the actual bag? I really want to do this.

09-10-2007
V.I.P.

If you have a small collection you might think about something like Ebay to get you started with the general public. If you wish to grow, you'll need to have stores carry your line ... so I think the advice in posts earlier in this thread are of particular value:
Quote:
Many designers don't get their careers "jump started", it takes a lot of their own cash, sleepless nights, hard work and luck. Lots of designers start out by designing a small sample collection and showing it to everyone who will listen. Get appointments with store buyers (don't approach the large stores for a few seasons or until you have your look, quality and production sorted - stick to the smaller boutiques with good reputations), send out press releases with photos attached, get a decent website done - start off with one small order at a time and build on that. If you are as good as you say, within a few seasons, you could have a press agent, a sales rep and a small business going and you'll be able to show that you're worthy of sponsorship.
Quote:
Once you show your samples to a few small stores, you will have to know how to get your items produced ( fabrics bought, patterns made and graded, packeaged and sent to stores ON TIME). If you have not worked that out financially and logistically you may want to wait before approaching any stores. They worst thing you can do is be unprepared for a positive response from buyers. Its easy to get no response, but if people want to buy, then you have to get it to them or lose face with them.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-07-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, buying, calendar, label, or line, post, related, reps, sales, showrooms, starting, threads