How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-12-2010
windowshopping

Showrooms and multilabel stores in Paris
I am trying to find showrooms and multilabel stores in Paris that I could approach about selling my womens highend designs.
Any ideas, names, places?

04-01-2011
backstage pass

Here I go bumping yet another thread. I'm doing alot of research today so I apologize if you're subbed to all the threads.

Anyway I'm doing PR work for a designer and we are looking into moving into courting a few boutiques(I call it courting because I really feel like the relationship is very similar to dating) but we haven't spoken about factories and mass manufacturing yet. I don't want to have things going too crazy.

I was wondering a few things though(I've read the entire thread):
1.) Would it be wiser to move on to Etsy first? One of the big things that I have to work on with this designer is a healthy internet presence. You can't even buy garments online and she just sent me her price point which for the Spring 2011 collection is $325+(i almost fainted). I was thinking some online selling mechanism could help alot.
2.) When selling to a boutique once you have your own wholesale price, how much should you expect the boutique to up it in order to make their profit? I'm wondering about this so I can sort of vet the stores that we don't apply to because of price point.

Look forward to hearing back from you guys. BTW if you wanted to see her designs they are here

Last edited by markese91; 04-01-2011 at 10:41 PM.
05-01-2011
V.I.P.

Markups in retail stores are typically 2.2 or more... 2.2 times the wholesale price. So that means they would sell her line starting at $715 and up. So you are looking at high end boutiques ... not boutiques who cater to the college crowd or juniors.

Another thought ... I think that her on-line pricing needs to stay in line with that markup, if she hopes to sell to boutiques, too. She should not compete against them by undercutting their prices, IMO.

I can't address if that price point is reasonable for on line sales or not. If her line is not well known to the public ... it might be a strech for most buyers ... to trust that much money. More research would be needed .....

05-01-2011
backstage pass

Thanks so much Bette T I was thinking that that would be the range and to be honest I don't think this local industry will be able to sustain that type of price point, I just wanted a bit of confirmation before I told her that. Oh and yeah I most definitely think that the pieces online shouldn't undercut the boutiques.

05-01-2011
V.I.P.

You're welcome.

One of the most important part of "marketing" anything is setting the right price for the market you are located in ... in addition to creating the right pieces for it. "Find a need an fill it" ... it's way easier than finding customers who don't exist.

05-01-2011
backstage pass

My client just informed me she makes scarves for 7 bucks... THAT'S alot easier to sell!

05-01-2011
V.I.P.

And ... scarves will sell on line ... size is not a problem! Good place to start ...

05-01-2011
backstage pass

I do have a bit of advice though for designers wanting to start a line. You need to be very realistic. My motto is you do what you have to until you can or so you can do what you want to. What I mean is that for example I know this one designer who wanted me to rep her after we worked on a photoshoot together. I basically designed a dress for the photoshoot and she made it and i consulted on another dress. They were party style simple cocktail like dresses, would be fairly cheap to make.
Anywho, she has gotten more responses on those two pieces than all of her other pieces which are bridal wear(hard market to break into from what i hear). I've been telling her that it would be wise to explore the cocktail dresses as a money maker to fund her bridal collection(doing what you have to do so you can do what you want to do)... she's hellbent on her bridal collection...

07-01-2011
windowshopping

this topic is so helpful! thanks for sharing!

08-01-2011
tfs star

I would want to agree with BetteT and if that's her wholesale price then mark-up may be the dealbreaker.

People are more trusting of paying that much money in a regular brick and mortar establishment or high-end boutique. For online sales especially coming from a virtually unknown designer...hmm not so much. So this 'healthy' online presence she wants will have too be defined.

She needs to ask herself, does this 'online presence' mean sales (e-commerce) on her own site, e-market sites (like Etsy, Ebay, Boutiques.com, etc.) or is it more for advertising (e.g. a portfolio site) where she simply shows her line but lists her stockists and directs her customers to them? Whichever choice she makes some adjustments will have to be made. It means either adjusting her price point downward (for the moment at least) for more attractive online sales, or keeping it as it and spend a killing on press, advertising which would then improve her reputation, credibility be better for website traffic and also make the line more attractive to retail buyers.

Still if she prefers the 'healthy' Internet route, she could seek out even more exclusive online boutiques which retail cool independent designers at top price for a small consignment/listing fee. A few exist and do pretty good business, so you'll have to research that further. A final option exists where she sells only lower priced items online (again intially) and direct her potential customers to the boutiques for higher end items.

As her PR agent, it would help if you knew her actual Marketing Strategy for the business, assuming she has done a business plan (and assuming you haven't yet seen it). This important piece of business literature shows the relationship between the Product, Price, Place (i.e. Distribution) and Promotion. Once you have all that info it should make your work as PR agent a whole lot easier and help you to make the best choices in helping to advice this client.

Best of luck!

PS. Why are you as a PR person doing this though? This entails more Marketing task than Public Relations/Press.

backstage pass

I say I'm her PR but really I'm like her consultant that not only consults but does :/ Creative Direction/Styling/PR/Website Design/Everything besides design(although I may be doing a bit of that) is me...

09-03-2011
rising star

I would like to highly recommend the following books:

* How to set up & run a Fashion Label (Toby Meadows, Lawrence King Publishing, 2009)
* Fashion Entrepreneur (Sandra Burke, 2008)

And if you are in London I think the author of the first book I mentioned works/teaches at the London College of Fashion. And last time I checked he was giving an open-to-the-public short course there on this very same subject.

Last edited by F0F0; 09-03-2011 at 08:39 AM.
22-04-2011
windowshopping

I am an aspiring designer. I have tons of sketches and I know how to sew, but not professionally. I was looking for some help to get started. I am not sure how to go about selling my designs to stores. Do I have just samples made up, or do I need to have a whole inventory before I go. Also, how does pricing work. If I want to sell my dresses at 200, then the store has to jack it up like double right? I am going to meet with some sample makers, should I have material with me or do they supply it?
Please help :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

22-04-2011
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

I would think that all you need is samples to see the buyers. But if they want to order some pieces, you must be ready for production ... and be able to give them a reasonable time line.

But, as a new designer, more likely you will work with a couple of very small, local boutiques at first ... and they will most likely want to buy what you bring in rather than order them. So, if you have 3 designs, in 4 sizes each ... 12 pieces ... they will buy what they think they can sell ... some of them, maybe. Or you could work out a consignment agreement ... that you leave your pieces in the store, and if the sell them they pay you for them ...not the best way, be it can help you get some traction sometimes. One of these two ways is probably the way you will need to go ... untill you are in full production.

Your samples will need to be made in the same fabric you choose for your line ... because it is what you buyers will expect, if they order from you. So, I believe that you will have to provide your own fabric for your samples. Make sure it's a fabric that you can get a lot more of ... in case you do go into production with any particular design.

Mark ups seem to be about 2.2 to about 3.0. So using that formula, you will know what you have to do to make it profitable for both you and the store. For example, if your costs plus any profit you hope to make add up to $200, then you know that you must sell to stores whose price points are usually $440 to $600 ... or they won't be able to afford your pieces. So you can't sell to an affordable juniors shop whose pieces sell for around $50 to $100 ... they would not be a potential buyer for you. So, your options are to: reduce your costs significantly ... or take your line to higher priced store. Of course ... your line must match the quality and style of that store in addition to your prices.

Make sure you have looked at all of the threads in the first post of this thread. As you can see, we have some specific topics moved to other threads .. so you are likely to gleen more information there.

In particular, you should check these threads out ... there are good tidbits of information buried in these:
Selling my Line to Buyers/Boutique Owners
All About Showrooms and Sales Reps
Basics About Production and Factory Manufacturing
Cost of Production

Here's another thread the might be of interest to you:
Making Samples ... What Fabrics to Use?

28-04-2011
scenester

I found this video on Advertising, very easy to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NyXzir2yKg

It's important to have a "story" for your brand...

Tags
#1, buying, calendar, label, or line, post, related, reps, sales, showrooms, starting, threads