How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-12-2004
windowshopping

thank you
first of all what i mean by english is "formals" sorry that i did not expand on that. and i love yall advice. my design are good as i say but i have one problem. i can't scan them online. i will try my best to. but my scanner is missing a USB plug. as soon as i get it fixed i will scan it online for all to see. Right now what i'm looking for is a sponsor that can help me out a lil bit and yes i have my label name. i choose to call my designs "unique" because of the material and style. i'm working with denims fabrics. i promise to try to scan it as soon as i can for yall to see. thank yall for the advice once again.

31-12-2004
windowshopping

i design clothes for women and teen.

31-12-2004
backstage pass

Unique, Please note there is and american jrs jean company called Younique already. They are slimeballs though. They have a website under that name also.

Sounds like many have given you great advise already, but ill give you a little also.
Once you show your samples to a few small stores, you will have to know how to get your items produced ( fabrics bought, patterns made and graded, packeaged and sent to stores ON TIME). If you have not worked that out financially and logistically you may want to wait before approaching any stores. They worst thing you can do is be unprepared for a positive response from buyers. Its easy to get no response, but if people want to buy, then you have to get it to them or lose face with them.

Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your work. I dabble in denim and tailoring myself. Mostly custom tailoring though.

tfs star

hi

i would love to see your designs!!!!!!!

01-01-2005
windowshopping

i know and undertand wat u sayin. i have a friend that can sew very well, but i know that i need more than one person. i need someone that can sponsor me. well hopefully by nexy year i will start my line and oh yea HhhhhhAAAAAAPPPPPPPYYYYYYYY NNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR. HAPPY NEW YEAR. LOL

01-01-2005
windowshopping

thank you so much. i just can't wauut to get my scanner fixed. i'm waiting patiently.

01-01-2005
front row

Just begin. Don't wait for a backer. You don't need much money- tear up your old clothes or scour thrift shops & rework that stuff or buy some discount fabric- sheets are cool if they're a good thread count- it's cheap and easy to dye em... Mainly I would say wear your stuff everywhere- the world is your runway, work it! :p
oh- and much luck.

04-05-2005
windowshopping

Setting up a fashion business in Paris
I wasn't sure where to put this...

Say you want to set up a label in Paris (because your home country doesn't have much of an industry and you want to try your luck in the fashion capital of the world) and the only thing you have are the skills (fashion illustration, sewing, business diploma, etc) and the finances. You have no contacts and little french (but will start attending french classes as soon as you get there).

Where do you start? Presumably asking to speak with established designers in Paris to find out how they did it would not be easy, if possible at all.

How do you go about securing quality staff, especially high end seamstresses?

How easy is it to secure studio space to create an atelier? What are the legal (etc) requirements if you're not a citizen?

There must be some sort of fashion directory (that lists all businesses), anyone know the name of it? Or where it is available?

How do you go about creating contacts in the first place?

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

If anyone could give me advice, other points to consider, or even a few ideas to kickstart my research I'd be most appreciative.

04-05-2005
scenester

You would need to go to Paris and start knocking on doors. Keep in my mind that there is an abundance of heavy hitting competition in Paris that is of a high quality, that are also door knocking.

You will require inpeccable social skills, and be prepared to speak Franglais - a lot of the French you may encounter love nothing more than to practice their English. Your French writing skills as well as verbal skills would also have to be of a high standard. This is old world, where letter writing is still used as a form of communication.

I don't know where your located, so I won't assume you don't know how to write a letter.

To be honest you would be much better off setting up where there isn't a lot of competition, perhaps not your country, but maybe some where else that is progressive. You can't swing a Hermes bag for hitting a talented person in Paris. Go and explore. I know there is a council that lists a lot of contacts online, if you wish to PM me I can provide that for you, and it will be in French.

I hope some of this helps, my intention was not to discourage you.

Cheers

04-05-2005
windowshopping

Thanks for your reply. I've just PMed you. You haven't discouraged me, I have a fair idea of how hard this will be.

Btw, I'm in Australia (and before I receive a backlash, some people think our local industry is actually pretty good. I am not one of these people obviously).

You have suggested that I knock on doors (I figure you mean literally!?!) as well as write letters (does this mean e-mail is out?). In which order? Or do you suggest I back up the letter with a face to face meeting? Sure I know how to write letters, but I'd be inclined to get help from one of my french friends. At this stage, my french is quite basic. And you would think that an established designer would be interested in speaking to me? I have had instances where top people in the industry in Sydney have spoken to me for an hour or more, so it doesn't necessarily seem inconceivable.

Thanks again.

04-05-2005
etre soi-meme

before you start knocking doors, you need to put together a book with your work
if this book is on a high level, you have the posibility of getting a post as intern in one of the 'great houses' but it needs great skills (both in communication and on your book) and being patient.
interning doesnt pay but it may help you get connections

to set up a good atelier in Paris, its not a piece of cake
try journal du textile and place advertisement for seamstresses.

rege\arding setting up your own business there ..being an australian
i'm not sure of requirements, maybe you make a colaboration with someone from EU?
this will make it easier for you

good luck

05-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

yeah...good luck...sounds way too scary and intimidating to me...

you're either very brave or ......
well...it just sounds hard...
i really wish you the best of luck....wish i could help you..paris is wonderful...

05-05-2005
windowshopping

Softgrey, thank you for your encouragement If I thought it was impossible I wouldn't attempt it. But I think it is possible.

05-05-2005
scenester

Anything is possible, but you must get your ducks in a row. Have you paid a visit to Paris to have a bit of a poke around? I am attempting to go this year to do a little investigating, but I haven't bought my ticket yet. I have been to Paris many times but more for pleasure than anything else.

Are you able to purchase Paris Match in Oz? If you can pick that up or even get a subscription. It will also give you loads of practice reading in French.

05-05-2005
etre soi-meme

best is to try and get a subscribtion at Journal du textile while in AU,
it will help you a lot since it is the main industry weekly newspaper..
try to find it on the web ..sorry i have no link

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, buying, calendar, label, or line, post, related, reps, sales, showrooms, starting, threads