How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-05-2005
windowshopping

stylistforhire - I am going to Paris in a weeks time to investigate. I'll be there for at least 6 weeks, and I am also going to spend a little time in London (more for pleasure though, I want to visit a friend, but I could certainly investigate there as well).

I have never seen Parismatch here, but I have taken basic french classes here and I am going to take up lessons again as soon as I get to Paris.

Lena - the website is http://www.journaldutextile.com/ I'll certainly pick it up when I get to Paris and will subscribe when I come back to Australia.

05-05-2005
etre soi-meme

you seem organised and determined, way to go amani

05-05-2005
scenester

Fabulous! You can pick up Paris Match in either Paris or London. Where is your friend in London, Earl's Court area or as it's now affectionately called Kangaroo Court? I'm going on the assumption that they're in SW area or similar.

When you're in London, try and have a poke around a bookshop called Waterstones, they seem to have wonderful resources for Paris, or they did the last time I went home for awhile.

Good to know a bit of French although once people realise you speak English they get very excited and want to speak English to you, so they can practice. Hence my saying I speak Franglais

Do you know which arrendisment you will be staying in whilst in Paris?

05-05-2005
windowshopping

Thanks Lena!

stylistforhire - she is actually staying in the north of London; in Arsenal.
Speaking Franglais will suit me fine I'll be staying in the 6th.

05-05-2005
V.I.P.

good luck

07-05-2005
front row

A few other sources of information that might be helpful:

http://www.pretaporter.com/fr/ lists interesting resources for young designers ->see Jeunes createurs (only in french)

To work independently you will have to register with either l’URSSAF or la Maison des Artistes, so these organizations will be able to provide you with information re. legal requirements etc.

A good place browse all the fashion trade publications is the Mode Information bookstore – 67 bd de Sébastopol (on the first floor)

FWIW... I have lived and worked there for several years and still have a freelance client in Paris, but my quality of living has increased dramatically since I’m no longer based there. While it’s a fantastic city with many opportunities - day to day life can be a struggle- especially when just starting out. Not to let that stop you! Just go well prepared & maybe explore other options as well (producing a sample collection first, participating in competitions etc.) Hope this helps & Good luck!

07-05-2005
windowshopping

That's a great help, thank you.

Yes, I am trying to be as prepared as I can be, i'll check out those places for sure.

I have no illusions about how hard this will be.

07-05-2005
scenester

nr9dream - Thank you for posting that site.
Amani - This is the site I was looking for! I couldn't find it in my favourites anymore and I was hoping I had moved it into a sublist....

It's chocked full of pertininent information to assist your cause.

nr9dream - Where are you now?

08-05-2005
front row

I live in Amsterdam – glad you could use the link!

08-05-2005
scenester

nr9dream - What is the fashion industry like in Amsterdam? More to the point, is there a lot of stylists there? I am heading back across the pond late this year and/or early next year. I am from the E.U. so not a problem to live/work within the community. I am investigating all possible options.
If you have a moment I would love to hear opinion.

Many thanks

08-05-2005
front row

No, it’s a very pleasant city to live but I would not rec. it for it’s thriving fashion industry but feel free to send a PM if you’d like to talk. What is your field & are you looking to freelance?

08-05-2005
scenester

I wa about to ask if I could PM you. Thanks for the invite!

08-05-2005
backstage pass

Amani,

I'll give you some interesting advice since I'm originally from Istanbul. I advise you to do a quick research on Turkish textile industry before you start trying it in Paris. Turkey is the no.1 manufacturer of high quality fabrics and we, Turks, have been manufacturing for any brand you could think of for over 20 years. So the quality is good here. If you visit a trade show in Europe, you'll be amazed to see that the majority of the factories and fabric companies are Turkish. To make it short, they don't have what you have but they have what you need here in Istanbul!

Europe is an old market and therefore it is tired.All you need in Paris is a young, trustable agent.. Good luck anyway!

Last edited by Derin; 08-05-2005 at 05:47 PM.
09-05-2005
scenester

Amani - I have often wondered what the fashion industry was like in Istanbul. I saw the magazine 34 which I liked very much! I have heard some rumours here and there, but I never got a home grown opinion.

If you don't mind I would like to PM you as I have some questions.

Cheers

09-05-2005
etre soi-meme

34 is pretty cool its been put together in a very artistic way, i like it but ..
...the fashion scene in Turkey -as far as i know- is mainly big mass manufacturing in attractive (low) prices and huge quanities, i dont think it's the best place to start up a small/indie design company.. but then maybe i'm wrong.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, buying, calendar, label, or line, post, related, reps, sales, showrooms, starting, threads