All about Textiles / Fabrics: Specifications, Fabric Treatments, Dyeing, Etc. - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-07-2005
trendsetter

i'd like to know how designers like hedi slimane coat fabrics in rubber, wax or whatever so far i've painted latex onto fabric but it sticks together and peels

21-07-2005
V.I.P.

I'm really intrested in learning about fabric treatments.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemiu
I'm really intrested in learning about fabric treatments.
me too... i think it gives more spunk with your creations....

hey btw, i like your icon wheres that from?

backstage pass

ANYONE????? pls pls pls

front row

the rubberized fabrics are always made in a factory. i believe they treat the fabric first, then spray on and speed-dry the coatings. would be hard to replicate at home. i don't know what you can use to make a fine enough mist. if you want to start with that kind of fabric, all i can say is TEFLON PRESSER FOOT :p i got some from b+j fabrics in the city a few years ago... have played with it a little, but still don't know what i want to use it for.

some things you can do to play with fabric:

- there is a product called "fiber etch" or "etch fiber" or "fabric etch" or something like that which you can use to selectively burn away plant fibers. you just apply it with a brush or whatever you want to use and iron it, which dissolves the fibers where you applied it. you can use blended fabrics, too, which creates a neat effect sometimes (the stuff will only dissolve the plant fiber and will leave the synthetic intact). this stuff is really, really fun to play with!

- if you have some regular silk velvet, you can crush it yourself easily. just scrunch it, pleat it, whatever... lay it down on your ironing board (you may have to use pins, just be sure to use ones that won't rust! chrome-plated steel is usually good for this, but test first) and steam it good. let it dry a little and then open it up and fluff it... ta-da! gorgeous crushed velvet. it works SO WELL with silk, the poly just looks junky.

- you can get interfacing that dissolves in water and sew/embroider on it with cool thread/ribbons/etc, then dissolve the interfacing afterwards. i've done some really interesting things this way, like making trimmings and lacy panels etc.

i'll post more as i think of it... if you have a question about a certain technique, ask away, i might have an answer.

22-07-2005
backstage pass

Great idea for a thread.

You can make that gauzy, crinkly treatment wetting the fabric, then wringing. Then you wrap it tightly around a broomstick handle and put rubber bands at random intervals. Then you let it dry, and spray on fabric finishing spray. The crinkles never go away, even when you wash.

22-07-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by crepebacksatin
- there is a product called "fiber etch" or "etch fiber" or "fabric etch" or something like that which you can use to selectively burn away plant fibers. you just apply it with a brush or whatever you want to use and iron it, which dissolves the fibers where you applied it. you can use blended fabrics, too, which creates a neat effect sometimes (the stuff will only dissolve the plant fiber and will leave the synthetic intact). this stuff is really, really fun to play with!
So if you apply this to a natural/synthetic blend, you can make patterns in the fabric?

22-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphelle
So if you apply this to a natural/synthetic blend, you can make patterns in the fabric?
yup! the less plant fiber in it, the more subtle the effect. it's a gel, so it's not terribly difficult to apply, either... you can make a stencil and use that, or just paint it on freehand, etc. i've used it on rayon/silk velvet that i pre-crushed and dyed to make AMAZING devore. i have plans to try it out on some wool/rayon jersey sooner than later. try it, you'll like it!

i love this thread.. keep the ideas coming!

22-07-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
yup! the less plant fiber in it, the more subtle the effect. it's a gel, so it's not terribly difficult to apply, either... you can make a stencil and use that, or just paint it on freehand, etc. i've used it on rayon/silk velvet that i pre-crushed and dyed to make AMAZING devore. i have plans to try it out on some wool/rayon jersey sooner than later. try it, you'll like it!
You have me so excited I'm already drawing out the design on paper, trying not to make it so intricate that I can't properly apply the gel. I'm glad you started this thread, if just for that!

23-07-2005
backstage pass

Does anyone know how to wrinkle or crush jeans?

23-07-2005
trendsetter

^ i iron them on the linen settings untill they start to smell burnt lol it works every time for me though i wouldnt recomend it just incase

23-07-2005
backstage pass

LOL that sounds like my style, I think i will give it a go. I like burning stuff anyway

24-07-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
the rubberized fabrics are always made in a factory. i believe they treat the fabric first, then spray on and speed-dry the coatings. would be hard to replicate at home. i don't know what you can use to make a fine enough mist. if you want to start with that kind of fabric, all i can say is TEFLON PRESSER FOOT :p i got some from b+j fabrics in the city a few years ago... have played with it a little, but still don't know what i want to use it for.

some things you can do to play with fabric:

- if you have some regular silk velvet, you can crush it yourself easily. just scrunch it, pleat it, whatever... lay it down on your ironing board (you may have to use pins, just be sure to use ones that won't rust! chrome-plated steel is usually good for this, but test first) and steam it good. let it dry a little and then open it up and fluff it... ta-da! gorgeous crushed velvet. it works SO WELL with silk, the poly just looks junky.

- you can get interfacing that dissolves in water and sew/embroider on it with cool thread/ribbons/etc, then dissolve the interfacing afterwards. i've done some really interesting things this way, like making trimmings and lacy panels etc.

i'll post more as i think of it... if you have a question about a certain technique, ask away, i might have an answer.
wow thanks so much!!! how about satins?? how do i loose the shine i want it to look a bit matte? is there a method for that?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkexplosion
wow thanks so much!!! how about satins?? how do i loose the shine i want it to look a bit matte? is there a method for that?
You can dye the fabric, and most of the shine goes away.

30-07-2005
backstage pass

up for this thread! =)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dyeing, fabric, fabrics, specifications, textiles, treatments