How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2006
windowshopping

I'm from germany and I'm so interested to get an education as a fashion designer and sartorial. I'm actually working on my own little collection, but's ist so expensive, because i can't tailor. I'm looking for an university were i can go after I finish my school here. Is there also a fashion university in NY? Do they have high expectations to the future students?
THX for any reply

04-03-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Y.
I'm from germany and I'm so interested to get an education as a fashion designer and sartorial. I'm actually working on my own little collection, but's ist so expensive, because i can't tailor. I'm looking for an university were i can go after I finish my school here. Is there also a fashion university in NY? Do they have high expectations to the future students?
THX for any reply
Hey DY, there's a lot of fashion schools in New York City. Check out the exchange programs, or Grad School programs at Parson's the New School for Design, Fashion Institute of Technology, and Im sure there's other ones around. Closeby, in Rhode Island, there is Rhode Island School of Art and Design also a great design school. All of these do have high expectations of their students since these are the schools where many of the best fashion designers came out of. (Calvin Klein Carolina Herrera, Michael Kors- FIT. Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, Anna Sui, Donna Karan & Isaac Mizrahi- Parsons, Nicole Miller- RISD)
Yet because is so expensive, I would recommend you to investigate and consider the costs of going to school in the States and living in NYC before making your decisions.

check out this sites!
www.risd.edu
www.parsons.edu
www.fitnyc.suny.edu

good luck!!

15-03-2006
Bel
front row

How selective is Pratt?
I read that the fashion department accepts 60 new students every year. If that's true, then wow.
I was drawn to it because I also read it separates the fashion students freshman year, where at most schools you just do foundation courses. But now I suppose I have no chance of getting in.

But just generally, where can I get more info about Pratt? All I can find is its own website.

16-03-2006
backstage pass

Fashion Careers College
Has anyone heard of Fashion Careers College in San Diego I'm up for a scholarship there.

20-03-2006
windowshopping

need some advice: ryerson???
hey guys. i'm applying to schools in toronto. i'm currently finishing up my degree at carleton university and will be done in june. Even tho i would really like to go to ryerson.. another 4 years of university seems pretty duanting to me right now. is anyone here taking Fashion communication at ryerson? if so is it worth it to do the 4 years?
also i'm working on my portfolio. i've taken a drawing class since well i haven't done art classes since elementary school. also i was told to make some clothes myself. i guess i also wondering how creative or "good" at drawing and sewing must someone be to be accepted for the fashion communication program?? i'm asking these questions becasue i can never get a straight answer from the admin department at ryerson.
also is anyone here a graduate of International Academy of Design and Technology? how much of a scam is this? should i forget this school and apply to ryerson/george brown?
sorry if i seem like i'm rambling.....
thanks for everyones help!

20-03-2006
windowshopping

well, the academy is a little dodgy, to be honest.

but then again, 4 years might be daunting, especially if you already have a degree (in what?). you might get bored. maybe you can get transfer credits and do it all in 3 years?

anyways, you need to be able to draw pretty well in order to stand out because it's a mail in portfolio, and if you've sewn before then you should be ok (if not...learn the basics). marks really don't matter too much so if you don't have a good portfolio that you've been working on for a few months...the chances aren't good, to be honest. it's about 1 in 8 students that get in...

29-03-2006
backstage pass

F . I . T .
I just went to the fashion schools thread to find it closed and since I couldnt find a new thread for FIT, I decided to start one. This is for all things relating to FIT, questions, comments and any information anyone can provide regarding all aspects of this school. This is my first choice school, so any information would be greatly appreciated!

29-03-2006
offline.

some tFS'ers have gone to FIT, including me.
what questions do you have?

and what major in particular are you interested. I'm not going to be A LOT of help if you're interested in the merchandising aspect of FIT

29-03-2006
backstage pass

Help Im stuck in SLC!
So im graduating this spring from High School and I am already accepted to the University of Utah, although thinking I was going to major in business as it gets closer for me to finish up high school and finally start school I really honestly think fashion is what I would really enjoy! I know I can go to the U of U for generals and such but what schools are close to Utah that I could go to for fashion. We have a community college that offers a bunch of fashion classes but that would not guarentee me a job in fashion in the future. So do you guys know of any schools close that would offer what I need and maybe not the price of a NY school, I really dont want to be in debt for this lol Thanks

29-03-2006
backstage pass

Thankyou! Im interested in fashion design. Possibly you could tell me some things about student life, dorms, people, food plans (which I've read about on the website but am not too sure of), and other things that aren't related to a actual classes/major. Also if anyone knows what the odds of getting accepted into this program, is it extremely competitive?

30-03-2006
fashion icon

UCLA in los angeles have some really good fashion degrees! HEEHEE legally blonde tip.

05-04-2006
trendsetter

American Intercontinental University
Im a freshman in college right now, and really want to study abroad. I also need to do an internship to graduate, and plan on doing something fashion related! I figured why not put the 2 together....and intern over seas?

So heres my question: I was browsing online and came across American Intercontinental University's website (in London!) and they have a really cool looking fashion internship. They have many classes focussing on the business side of fashion (what im going to be studying) and I want to know if anyone has heard of it/been there/has any general opinion on it!??!

Anything would help! I am seriously considering it as an option for myself. I love London, too!

front row

Does anyone know what F.I.T. is looking for in terms of prospective merchandising/business students?
Do they just look at your grades, because I know they don't look at SAT scores. And do you need to submit a portfolio of any kind?

Any help is appreciated

05-04-2006
trendsetter

....please.....

flaunt the imperfection..

never heard of doing an internship AT a school...
also never heard of that school...

get an internship at some kind of company where you would ultimately like to work...

that's my 2 cents..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, fashion, schools, states, united