How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-06-2010
V.I.P.

Thanks for sharing that!

It's surprising to find something geared to fashion at such a school. But then .. it makes sense with the new wave of "green" designers. And it all starts with textiles and how they are produced.

Last edited by BetteT; 20-06-2010 at 04:33 PM.

20-06-2010
Tobias Funke

I agree, I have always wanted to learn how fashion and science is combined but I don't know if they also have the same kind of programs at every fashion school, so I am hesitant to go there.

NeverNude
20-06-2010
V.I.P.

I dont think so. Although I am by no means any kind of expert on various fashion schools' courses. But I've never heard of this before ... so I'm basing my comment on that, alone.

But gius has studied textiles ( I think in Vancouver, not sure) and seems to know a fair amount about them. So why don't you PM hime and ask him to pop in here? Maybe he's got some ideas about what schools might offer this.

Last edited by BetteT; 20-06-2010 at 11:22 PM.
21-06-2010
Tobias Funke

Thanks so much, you give the best advice BetteT!

NeverNude
23-06-2010
V.I.P.

I just got a pamphlet from LIM College in the mail today and I'm really interested in it. Can anybody give me any feedback on this college? Like is it truly great? Is it respected within the fashion industry? how are the students there?

front row

^I came here to ask the same question. I was looking at FIT and then thought about LIM.

03-07-2010
scenester

I've been doing research and comparing Parsons, FIT, LIM for about a year. I even went to NYC to check out the schools. By far, LIM was my favorite, which came at a total shock to me, because it was originally my third choice. It is obviously the lesser known fashion school in NYC, but it doesn't lack credibility. The internship program is AMAZING. and many of there students have gone on to work for major fashion companies. What i love most about it is the atmosphere. The main building is a cute townhouse about 5 stories tall. There are only about 1,000 students and everyone is friendly. They have tons of clubs and activities. In my opinion LIM is definitely better than FIT.

P.S. LIM is a "fashion business" school. No fashion design department. The entire school is solely dedicated to the business of fashion: Fashion Merchandising, Marketing, Management, and Visual Merchandising.

Last edited by alexzandramarie; 03-07-2010 at 04:49 PM.
26-04-2011
fashion insider

I got accepted to The Illinois Institute of Art in Chicago... anyone know if their design program is good?

oh and what about Columbia College in Chicago? is it good? do employers rlly look at what school you went to when they look at your resume? Like if someone went to Parsons and then someone went to a local design school, would the person who went to Parsons be most likely to get the job just cos they went to Parsons?

04-05-2011
windowshopping

New York Fashion Academy of Seattle, WA
Hey there.
I'm an amateur fashion/costume designer who's considering a) moving to Seattle and b) getting professional training as a designer. As you might imagine, I'm considering coordinating these activities.
There's one fashion school I've found in Seattle, which is the strangely named New York Fashion Academy (link). Since I'm kind of new to this world and got into it sideways, I don't really know too much about finding a school, or how to determine the quality of one, and was wondering if this particular place had any sort of reputation I should be aware of.

For the record, I'm twenty four years old, and graduated from the University of Michigan with a degree in Chinese a couple years ago. I got started doing goth and heavy metal fashion as a hobby while I was an undergrad, throwing metalwork on old jackets and such, and have had a good amount of success selling my work to ravers and steampunks at scifi and anime conventions, as well as occasionally making stage gear for musicians. It's come to my attention that this is potentially a way better career than medieval Chinese literature. However, I feel like I would have a lot more to offer to the design world if I actually went to fashion school and was doing work on the professional level.

**Edited***

Last edited by BetteT; 05-05-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Please do not post links to your ows site, per tFS "no self promotion" rules.
17-04-2012
scenester

Colorado state apparel and merchandising
I am wanting to attend Colorado state university for apparel and merchandising and was curious if any former or current students could give me some feedback on the program. I am really impressed by the school and the apparel department. Thanks!

front row

I have been recently accepted into LIM to do the MBA with a concentration in fashion management, and into Parsons to do the AAS in Fashion Marketing.

I am incredibly torn between the two. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, fashion, schools, states, united