How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2006
trendsetter

No they are a University who can help mentor you and get you an internship while studying....they also offer classes like a normal school. Its legit, and I would be working for Loreal, or a Magazine based in London or anything! There are a ton of companies that students have worked for. Here is a link:

http://www.aiustudyabroad.com/index.asp

05-04-2006
i'm almost ready..

stylesnob, i would talk to a career/guidance counsellor at your university....
most universities have exchange programs....and there are often certain requirements and restrictions.....

they will usually have partner universities all over the world...
and particular matches for particular programs...
business, sciences, literature, etc....

you should talk to your uni and see if its possible to do a year abroad at this particular school in london....then you can make sure your credits are all transferrable and will go toward your graduation, that your internship will be legit and count for your degree, etc.....

i dont know anything about the particular school (sorry) but again, your uni will probably have the best info and will probably even have students that have returned from exchange and have a lot of valuable advice....

exchange is a BLAST....have fun!!!!

05-04-2006
trendsetter

Thanks! Yeah I wanted to study abroad in London anyways, and figured it would be cool to possibly intern there as well? My university DOES let students study abroad through AIU (theres hundreds available to us!) so...thats not the issue I guess...Im just curious if anyone has heard anything? Im excited, even though going abroad wont be for a few years.

rising star

FIT Business Programs
Ok, I don't know if a thread on this topic has been started or not, but i am planning to apply to a FIT business program. I've narrowed it down to either the Fashion Merch Management program or the Advertising and Marketing Communications program.

I was wondering what everyone thought/ has heard of either of these programs. Which one is recomended, not recomended, waste of time, amazing, really competivtie, etc.

Also, does anyone know the average marks/ GPA needed to get accpeted into one of these programs?

Thank you eveyone!

09-04-2006
windowshopping

Parsons NYC and $$$
Hi,

I'd like to ask (after really having searched and not finding anything) about how much Parsons in NYC costs yearly for fashion design, (all school related stuff, fees, tuitions, books and work materials, no room and board) and how many years for a BFA programme.

Thanks so much

fondly,
aldo

10-04-2006
etre soi-meme

aldo, i think best idea would be to contact Parsons and ask detailed info from them tailored on the program you plan to attent

please keep all discussions on USA fashion schools in this specially created thread, this way you may receive more replies than opening new topics

10-04-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
never heard of doing an internship AT a school...
also never heard of that school...

get an internship at some kind of company where you would ultimately like to work...

that's my 2 cents..
Softgrey, can i ask what school you went to?

10-04-2006
windowshopping

hey everyone! i need your help... im interested in attending a school in the chicago area and studying fashion. problem is im not sure wats good out there. i hear the school of the art institute (but they are also a lil tooo expensive for me) is good. are there any other good school in chicago for fashion design?
is the columbia college program any good?
how is illinois institute of art (part of the ai's)

any info would help greatly

thanks a bunch

10-04-2006
windowshopping

what options do i have now?
well...i just recieved every high school seniors nightmare in the mail... =/

my dream college...the only school i ever wanted to attend....has sent me the dreaded "Im sorry to inform you..." letter...

i really wanted to go to FIT for a degree in Fashion Merch.. and maybe even attend longer and get a degree in menswear design...

but now i dont know what to do...

the only other colleges i have gotten into are

San Francisco State University
San Diego State University
UC Riverside
waiting list for Fordham University

i really dont know where to go now...i know i shouldnt let other people decide what college i go to...but thats not what im trying to ask..

i just want to know if anyone in here has any info about the colleges i did get into, and if i have a chance of getting into FIT through transfer or anything..

only thing i do not want to do is attend FIT when i am like 30 or something...

i want to go as soon as i can

anyone have any suggestions for what kind of major i should choose that would be some what similar to a design or merchandising class at FIT..

none of the schools have any fashion majors...so im going to be stuck taking some classes i dont really want to for 2 semesters (or whatever the time period is to transfer to a diff. school)

any suggestions?

10-04-2006
fashion icon

if i were you in this situation..which might happen to me in the near future

i plan to take a year off and improve on what the school(s) did not approve me on
like..if i wasnt that strong in life drawing..i would take extra courses at an art college or private school to improve it
if it's academic problem..usually the HS would let the student stay for a semester after grade 12

of course you dont have to follow to my plan if it doesnt fit you..that's just what i plan to do if i ever get the dreadful letter(s)

10-04-2006
windowshopping

well the thing is, i didnt apply to major in an art/design based major...

and the letter didnt really tell me what they didnt like about my application

but thanks alot though for taking your time to contribute to my thread

any more suggestions would be helpful

10-04-2006
windowshopping

Parsons or Pratt
I've been accepted into both Parsons and Pratt and am having a tough time deciding. Which school has the better fashion design program and why? Which school has the better fashion design reputation and why? I've read through many posts and haven't seen anything that actually compares these two schools. There are pros and cons to both, just looking for other informed and constructive opinions.

Thanks in advance.

10-04-2006
offline.

Parsons... so many famous designers have gone there.. .but then again.. you could be total crap and go to Parsons and be absolutely nothing. You need talent wherever you go. Now, I'm not saying you're not talented... but like I said.. if your'e a good designer, it really doesn't matter where you go. ... Parson's is a good school... it's just really expensive...

10-04-2006
front row

Oh, please do answer for me, too! I haven't heard from Parsons, yet. But I have been accepted to the graduate architecture program at Pratt. I know they have a great reputation, but I don't know too much about Parson's architecture program. If someone could give me information (and this doesn't have to be solely on architecture), that would be great.

12-04-2006
front row

Best Fashion schools within USA?
So...I'm about 16, been using the last two years crafting my drawing and the last few months crafting my sewing...so it's about time where I'm thinking about Colleges...

so in June I'm going to visit Parsons in NY, and are there any other schools within the US that will get me where I wanna go? I have my sights set on Louis Vuitton... here' a little something I can do...as far as I know I need to work on my light source and what not , but I can really use some feedback: ( sorry the scanner has not been nice to me, the camera had to do)

tell me what you think!

Thanks,

KHOI

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, fashion, schools, states, united