How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2006
rising star

you can still work in the fashion industry w/ a regular business admin. degree or merchandising degree right? because I am confused on whether to go to a fashion school(like FIT) or just a regular state school (like USC or NYU) for that???

Lolita.

17-04-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsweetie
Hi I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the online fashion program at the San Francisco Academy of Art or just the school in general!? Any opinions, thoughts, facts, etc would be great! Im currently in college studying journalism and wanted to kind of get ahead and study fashion while im still in school.
umm.. i heard academy of arts in san fransisco SUCKS. but i reccomend you not to go there

17-04-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey0806
i think you're making a mistake, but until you get to fidm, and want to transfer out you'll see why.

save your self some money, if you want to transfer into those schools, go to a school whose credit do transfer(fidm credits don't transfer) like a community college.
well the thing is. i dont want to go to new york and study because i am fairly comfortable in living in california, and because everythings so expensive there. also. is FIDM a good school to start a fashion career or what? im not sure. apparently ive been saying that because once i get into fidm, im wondering if i should really start to get seriosus with fashion and then go to new york and get REALYL seriously with it. kno where im getting at? anyways

17-04-2006
windowshopping

I've been looking through this thread hoping to get an idea on what fashion schools there are out there. I am currently a freshman in college majoring in history, but I have decided to go the direction of fashion design. Art and fashion have always been passions of mine and I am hoping to get some ideas about where I might transfer to.
Can anyone give me any ideas?

17-04-2006
front row

I dont get why everyone fawns over Otis. I wasn't impressed by their alumni or anything when I checked the school out. FIDM, on the other hand is underrated by the people on this forum. But who am I to say, I just attend there *rolls eyes*

I have professors who taught at Otis and FIDM at the same time. Otis pays more, but they chose FIDM over them. Go figure.

17-04-2006
scenester

Quote:
do you honestly think you can get a good education online for fashion design. fashion design usually consists of studio classes, how can you possibly get the same attention you get in person, as you would if you were to do it online. how would you know if you're doing the seams correctly for a garment or whatever if the teacher isn't physically there to correct you.
Studying any kind of design online is obviously ridiculous I was wondering about their Fashion merchandising program.

17-04-2006
front row

Quote:
i think you're making a mistake, but until you get to fidm, and want to transfer out you'll see why.
What's your experience w/ FIDM and what is your gripe about them? Lol, actually you seem to have a gripe about everything.

17-04-2006
trendsetter

anybody knows anything about the Art Institutes or Miami University of Art and Design??

17-04-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionistangeL
anybody knows anything about the Art Institutes or Miami University of Art and Design??
I was wondering about those too!!

17-04-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsweetie
I was wondering about those too!!

read through this thread...

17-04-2006
scenester

Quote:

save your self some money, if you want to transfer into those schools, go to a school whose credit do transfer(fidm credits don't transfer) like a community college.
hmm, why are you so harsh on fidm? have you studied there before? if not, then i don't think you should judge a school based on what you hear, because that's all it is, hearsay. everyone has different experiences, some may be negative and others are very positive. it happens at every school, so i have no clue why fidm and some other schools are a constant target. with this kind of negativity, if sosoDef and whoever else wants to attend does decide to go to fidm, she's going to be entering with negative thoughts and looking for something to be wrong.

maybe these schools that are being targeted have a high dropout rate, but for every drop out i'm sure there are successes. some schools may have lower success rates than others, but if you have the diligence, social skills, creativity, etc... then you'll be a success no matter where you go.

everyone's not made for every school. some people do better at fidm, while others find peace at otis.

i don't think these school threads were created for school-bashing. let's keep it positive, people, and let's not shun people for their academic decisions.

Last edited by marisaidwhat; 17-04-2006 at 11:19 PM.
18-04-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisaidwhat
hmm, why are you so harsh on fidm? have you studied there before? if not, then i don't think you should judge a school based on what you hear, because that's all it is, hearsay. everyone has different experiences, some may be negative and others are very positive. it happens at every school, so i have no clue why fidm and some other schools are a constant target. with this kind of negativity, if sosoDef and whoever else wants to attend does decide to go to fidm, she's going to be entering with negative thoughts and looking for something to be wrong.

maybe these schools that are being targeted have a high dropout rate, but for every drop out i'm sure there are successes. some schools may have lower success rates than others, but if you have the diligence, social skills, creativity, etc... then you'll be a success no matter where you go.

everyone's not made for every school. some people do better at fidm, while others find peace at otis.

i don't think these school threads were created for school-bashing. let's keep it positive, people, and let's not shun people for their academic decisions.

I dunno, I've never heard anything good about FIDM. A friend went there and had to leave becuase it sucked so much. I've even heard an instructor there talk about how much it sucked. That's not to be harsh but just honest.

18-04-2006
front row

^Well that's a smart idea to judge a school based on what two people say. Marisaidwhat is exactly right, its all hearsay. And Im sure a lot of people filter out all the good and focus on the bad. Anyways, judging something what a couple people say based on minimal details is pretty ignorant to begin with.

Exactly what did they say "sucked so bad" about it? Just out of curiousity, should be amusing for me!

22-04-2006
windowshopping

Stylesnob
Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleSnob
Im a freshman in college right now, and really want to study abroad. I also need to do an internship to graduate, and plan on doing something fashion related! I figured why not put the 2 together....and intern over seas?

So heres my question: I was browsing online and came across American Intercontinental University's website (in London!) and they have a really cool looking fashion internship. They have many classes focussing on the business side of fashion (what im going to be studying) and I want to know if anyone has heard of it/been there/has any general opinion on it!??!

Anything would help! I am seriously considering it as an option for myself. I love London, too!

Stylesnob u should really consider going to any school in london the schools there are really intense I just left aiu- london in 12-2005 and I loved every class I had. If you are serious I can tell u what professors will be perfect for you. If not aiu-lodon try st. martins i hear they are pretty godd. Lcf is good too they just don't take transfer student, I tried and it didnt work. E-mail me at pudie620@hotmail.com I check my personal e-mail more often. good luck

23-04-2006
front row

Academy of Art....best Fashion school?
I don't know much, but I was there yesterday for academy day, and the person who I was signing up for summer classes, said that they have the best Fashion department in the US....?

I'm not sure if that's true...it's pretty good, but I don't know...wouldn't Parson's be?

KHOI

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, fashion, schools, states, united