How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2006
V.I.P.

I'm also really amazed by the student work Each of them has its own character and it's all so original. I heard the teachers push them to find their own identity/style in the first year
I agree with one of the comments: What are they feeding them?!

17-04-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomegranates
hello hello everyone, this is my first post though I've been lurking for a couple of weeks...

well on to the point..

I was wondering if anyone could tell me some more about the entrance exam. On the website it said "drawings and sketches from plaster casts in pencil or charcoal, and watercolour paintings of a still life of fabrics and garments"
Are they looking for very good drafting, skilled, precise, realistic..etc.. that kind of drawing,
Or something more creative and expressive.. more 'artistic' and something that portays individuality.

Also, I have just finished highschool, during which I did Sculpture, Printmaking and Design (graphic/computer, not fashion). I make clothes in my own time, am an able seamstess, and recently started a night class in patternmaking (rather boring tho! ).
Would it matter that if I don't include any fashion related material in my portfolio?
I have plenty of material from school work, but am not so competent at fashion sketches ;_;

Anyway, any kind of info would be greatly appreciated!!!
I've applied for CSM foundation, but am worried that it will be a waste of time and $$$ since I already know what I want to do + I'm dying to go to Antwerp!

Thanks in advance for any help =)
I think we feel similarly, though I had planned to apply to antwerp after doing a foundation and perhaps even a BA. I recently found out, mind you, that you don't have to pay for art foundations if you do them straight after college/high school. I'm also querying into if you have to after that, I think after taking a gap year it's ok too. Anyway am finding that out, if it is free, perhaps it would be better to get some more experience, as I'm sure I read on the site they prefer it from international students.

21-05-2006
windowshopping

+ONE magazine by 4th year students of antwerp fashion department
Welcome to the first issue of '+ONE' magazine, a collaborative project by the seventeen final year students from the Fashion Department of Antwerp's Royal Academy of Fine Arts. The basis for '+ONE' lies in the creative teamwork of emerging young fashion designers and their renowned Belgian counterparts, most of whom are Antwerp Academy graduates. The project is unique in its concept as it is the first time that so many established names join forces with young, up and coming talent on a single project. Contrasting visions and creative cooperation merge in more than one hundred pages of selected material prepared by this group of students during their last academic year.

This magazine includes their graduation collection combined with garments and accessories from their "partner" designer, as well as thematic chapters representing their ideas, inspirations and design universe. '+ONE' will be sold during the Antwerp Academy graduation show (15, 16 and 17 June 2006), an event that attracts every year an enthusiastic crowd of over 6,000 visitors. Furthermore, it will be distributed in fashion stores and bookshops throughout Europe and officially presented in Paris during the men's fashion week at the beginning of July 2006.

http://www.antwerp-fashion.be/+one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (45.9 KB, 12 views)

21-05-2006
V.I.P.

Thanks untitled....I shall be attending the show this year and look forward to the collections!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
21-05-2006
follow the lights

oh what an exciting concept... this will be amazing

21-05-2006
backstage pass

thanks untitledheroe. i'm totally looking forward to this. will it be available in the states or will i have to ask someone in europe to get it for me?

22-05-2006
Stitch:the Hand

That looks and sounds lovely! Nice to hear of something which is involving the students a bit more.

23-05-2006
about to fall or fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea of stitches
thanks untitledheroe. i'm totally looking forward to this. will it be available in the states or will i have to ask someone in europe to get it for me?
i have the same question!

fashion icon

wow..these are amazing
i like how it's pushing ideas and being innovative..having a character

though they are not wearable..but it's easier to strip down than to build up =)

02-08-2006
front row

i really don't understand how to apply to antwerp...it's really confusing...
htye have an undergraduate program and foundations? can we go straight out of high school?

03-08-2006
windowshopping

i believe candidates must go to Antwerp to take the entrance examination and present portfolio. Although i dont know any specifics on portfolio requirements. maybe someone here attends the school and could be of help?

04-08-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Through an interview and artistic exercises several competences will be tested. Basic skills, communication, knowledge of and interest in history, art, design, culture and socio-political matters. Interest and knowledge in Fashion with a general curiousity and openness to new experiences and ideas and an individual critical attitude. The entrance examination will be completed by the practical tests like drawing from observation, colour studies related to the course.

This compromises drawings and sketches from plaster casts in pencil or charcoal, and watercolour paintings of a still life of fabrics and garments. All applicants have to present a portfolio containing a selection of drawings sketches, photographs, etc
this is wat their website says about the entrance exam and the portfolio .
they aren't really specific about the portfolio .
I know this girl maybe she could help ..

Last edited by fugfashion; 04-08-2006 at 03:04 AM.
01-09-2006
windowshopping

Royal Academy in Antwerp for Fashion
Hey does anyone know anything about how to apply to this school? I checked out their website but it's pretty vague on their requirements. It's like shrouded in mystery.

Does anyone know anyone who went there? Whats the workload like? I'm thinking about applying and I already go to Parsons in NYC. Any help would be much appreciate!!

01-09-2006
scenester

the official web said that they will held 2 tests in Sept. and July ...
i also wanna know more about it

01-09-2006
etre soi-meme

merged to the existing thread.. and good luck with the Academy

please, kindly use our painless search button before posting new topics

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
academy, antwerp, royal