How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2007
Stitch:the Hand

what is your bachelour,MUXU? BA or MA? if the former,you want to further your studies and get an MA,you can go to FFI. i think most active and ex-students all have previously studied elsewhere and then applied for FFI.

03-04-2007

^not that i'm saying CSM is a bad school either way. just another option.

04-04-2007
fashion icon

oh scott..im not that far yet. im merely in foundation:p
what/where is FFI?

04-04-2007

FFI is Flanders Fashion Institute which is techincally the fashion department of the Royal Academy. and now since it's at the ModeNatie building,most people actually just call it FFI now.

04-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
what is your bachelour,MUXU? BA or MA? if the former,you want to further your studies and get an MA,you can go to FFI. i think most active and ex-students all have previously studied elsewhere and then applied for FFI.
So I should find another school after high school to go to before FFI? So confusing!

04-04-2007
front row

^ I think he means do a Bachelors' degree first somewhere else, and do your Masters at FFI.

04-04-2007
backstage pass

Was just reading a book on anniversary of La Cambre, mistakenly confusing it for Royal Academy...shares a lot of similarities, wonder which is 'better'. Is it just a difference between Dutch and French?

^both are good schools but antwerp has a slightly different cirriculum and teaching methods. La Cambre is just bit more on the technical side(olivier theyskens famously dropped out because he found that system boring) whereas Antwerp,as i mentioned,puts more emphasis on creativity,innovation and importantly,identity. ffi has got a bit more technical as the years have gone by but not quite as much as most schools.

because if you notice,for each year,they work upon themes--first year are basic garmets,second is historical costume,third year is ethnic--for their annual projects for the show and final year students work upon their own individual inspiration.

thanks for clarifying that chip. sorry.

09-05-2007
V.I.P.

I finally got an email back from FFI! In it there was only a little new information for me: about Euro 5,500 a year tuition. (That doesn't include housing, food, supplies, etc.) More importantly however, it mentioned nothing about AP credits. I'll inquire further, but it sounds like my life will be a lot easier next year than I thought it would be.

11-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
^both are good schools but antwerp has a slightly different cirriculum and teaching methods. La Cambre is just bit more on the technical side(olivier theyskens famously dropped out because he found that system boring) whereas Antwerp,as i mentioned,puts more emphasis on creativity,innovation and importantly,identity. ffi has got a bit more technical as the years have gone by but not quite as much as most schools.

because if you notice,for each year,they work upon themes--first year are basic garmets,second is historical costume,third year is ethnic--for their annual projects for the show and final year students work upon their own individual inspiration.

thanks for clarifying that chip. sorry.
So true... A student there told me they don't really teach technical aspects, only theories and things of fashion. Students have to learn the technical side on their own
So I guess the kind of student they accept is the kind who already has developed some form of identity and knows what direction they want to take...
Quite surprised actually
But I guess 'identity' and 'concept' is so much better, so much useful. My school is technical and it is a bit sad...

For MA, Royal College of Art is the place for me... Really unbelievable work I see there

Last edited by gius; 11-05-2007 at 05:18 PM.
11-05-2007

yeah and most of the students have had prior technical college experience. but that's not to say that FFI doesn't have technical courses because they do have levelled tailoring and pattern design courses taught by the underrated,wonderfully gifted Elke Hoste(which is part of the reason most ex-students are stupendous cutters & tailors)...i just think they take these traditions and typical college standards and explore them alot further in terms of innovation.

Last edited by Scott; 11-05-2007 at 11:08 PM.
19-05-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
I finally got an email back from FFI! In it there was only a little new information for me: about Euro 5,500 a year tuition. (That doesn't include housing, food, supplies, etc.) More importantly however, it mentioned nothing about AP credits. I'll inquire further, but it sounds like my life will be a lot easier next year than I thought it would be.

Are you kidding?? This sounds amazing!! Although I am considering this school for a masters, it's good to hear that they didn't mention AP credits. Wow, what a weight off my shoulders. Anyway, thanks for letting us US students know what's up!!

19-05-2007
windowshopping

Show2007 - June 14, 15 & 16
SHOW2007
ANTWERP FASHION DEPARTMENT
HOGESCHOOL ANTWERPEN

JUNE 14 15 16
HANGAR 29, RIJNKAAI 150, 2000 ANTWERP, BELGIUM

MORE INFO: http://www.antwerp-fashion.be

23-05-2007
V.I.P.

I emailed them again about language requirements:

Quote:
Only basic level (level A).
YES!!! That is so awesome! Now I just need to learn to use watercolors!

29-05-2007
fashion insider

How long is the BA versus the MA?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
academy, antwerp, royal