How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
03-04-2007
  166
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,941
what is your bachelour,MUXU? BA or MA? if the former,you want to further your studies and get an MA,you can go to FFI. i think most active and ex-students all have previously studied elsewhere and then applied for FFI.

  Reply With Quote
 
03-04-2007
  167
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,941
^not that i'm saying CSM is a bad school either way. just another option.

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  168
fashion icon
 
MUXU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LDN
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,060
oh scott..im not that far yet. im merely in foundation:p
what/where is FFI?

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  169
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,941
FFI is Flanders Fashion Institute which is techincally the fashion department of the Royal Academy. and now since it's at the ModeNatie building,most people actually just call it FFI now.

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  170
V.I.P.
 
ilaughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
what is your bachelour,MUXU? BA or MA? if the former,you want to further your studies and get an MA,you can go to FFI. i think most active and ex-students all have previously studied elsewhere and then applied for FFI.
So I should find another school after high school to go to before FFI? So confusing!

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  171
front row
 
chip45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 281
^ I think he means do a Bachelors' degree first somewhere else, and do your Masters at FFI.

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  172
backstage pass
 
birdofparadise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 846
Was just reading a book on anniversary of La Cambre, mistakenly confusing it for Royal Academy...shares a lot of similarities, wonder which is 'better'. Is it just a difference between Dutch and French?

__________________
"Menswear is so limited so I'm free with my ideas. Otherwise I'd die of boredom."--Miuccia Prada
  Reply With Quote
05-04-2007
  173
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,941
^both are good schools but antwerp has a slightly different cirriculum and teaching methods. La Cambre is just bit more on the technical side(olivier theyskens famously dropped out because he found that system boring) whereas Antwerp,as i mentioned,puts more emphasis on creativity,innovation and importantly,identity. ffi has got a bit more technical as the years have gone by but not quite as much as most schools.

because if you notice,for each year,they work upon themes--first year are basic garmets,second is historical costume,third year is ethnic--for their annual projects for the show and final year students work upon their own individual inspiration.

thanks for clarifying that chip. sorry.

  Reply With Quote
09-05-2007
  174
V.I.P.
 
ilaughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,790
I finally got an email back from FFI! In it there was only a little new information for me: about Euro 5,500 a year tuition. (That doesn't include housing, food, supplies, etc.) More importantly however, it mentioned nothing about AP credits. I'll inquire further, but it sounds like my life will be a lot easier next year than I thought it would be.

  Reply With Quote
11-05-2007
  175
V.I.P.
 
gius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 10,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
^both are good schools but antwerp has a slightly different cirriculum and teaching methods. La Cambre is just bit more on the technical side(olivier theyskens famously dropped out because he found that system boring) whereas Antwerp,as i mentioned,puts more emphasis on creativity,innovation and importantly,identity. ffi has got a bit more technical as the years have gone by but not quite as much as most schools.

because if you notice,for each year,they work upon themes--first year are basic garmets,second is historical costume,third year is ethnic--for their annual projects for the show and final year students work upon their own individual inspiration.

thanks for clarifying that chip. sorry.
So true... A student there told me they don't really teach technical aspects, only theories and things of fashion. Students have to learn the technical side on their own
So I guess the kind of student they accept is the kind who already has developed some form of identity and knows what direction they want to take...
Quite surprised actually
But I guess 'identity' and 'concept' is so much better, so much useful. My school is technical and it is a bit sad...

For MA, Royal College of Art is the place for me... Really unbelievable work I see there


Last edited by gius; 11-05-2007 at 05:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
11-05-2007
  176
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,941
yeah and most of the students have had prior technical college experience. but that's not to say that FFI doesn't have technical courses because they do have levelled tailoring and pattern design courses taught by the underrated,wonderfully gifted Elke Hoste(which is part of the reason most ex-students are stupendous cutters & tailors)...i just think they take these traditions and typical college standards and explore them alot further in terms of innovation.


Last edited by Scott; 11-05-2007 at 11:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
19-05-2007
  177
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
I finally got an email back from FFI! In it there was only a little new information for me: about Euro 5,500 a year tuition. (That doesn't include housing, food, supplies, etc.) More importantly however, it mentioned nothing about AP credits. I'll inquire further, but it sounds like my life will be a lot easier next year than I thought it would be.

Are you kidding?? This sounds amazing!! Although I am considering this school for a masters, it's good to hear that they didn't mention AP credits. Wow, what a weight off my shoulders. Anyway, thanks for letting us US students know what's up!!

  Reply With Quote
19-05-2007
  178
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Belgium
Gender: homme
Posts: 15
Show2007 - June 14, 15 & 16
SHOW2007
ANTWERP FASHION DEPARTMENT
HOGESCHOOL ANTWERPEN

JUNE 14 15 16
HANGAR 29, RIJNKAAI 150, 2000 ANTWERP, BELGIUM

MORE INFO: http://www.antwerp-fashion.be

  Reply With Quote
23-05-2007
  179
V.I.P.
 
ilaughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,790
I emailed them again about language requirements:

Quote:
Only basic level (level A).
YES!!! That is so awesome! Now I just need to learn to use watercolors!

  Reply With Quote
29-05-2007
  180
fashion insider
 
educo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC MUTHA F*CKA!!!
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,465
How long is the BA versus the MA?

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
academy, antwerp, royal
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.