How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-06-2009
fashion icon

were you a model or something?

my friend who helped backstage gave me a bit of this energy drink you guys get, it tasted so weird. does anyone drink that stuff?

17-06-2009
front row

yeah i was one of the models. you mean red bull? i drank it all the time

rising star

I do not go to this school but have researched it heavily as it is my dream school so I'll try to answer some of the questions that have been posted.

First of all, Antwerp really is THE school of the now when it comes to creativity. People who are well established and already working sometimes choose to go to this school because there is great input from instructors and because they encourage you to be the designer that is right for you. Which of course is different from many schools who are training you to work for specific clients as their main goal. Take CSM for example. It is an amazing school and the place you should go if you want to work for big design houses like Gucci and Prada because they recruit from there. CSM teaches you how to be a designer who is part of, or in charge of, a large team (technicians to sew, etc) and so they judge your art skills more than your sewing skills when you apply. The Royal Academy of Antwerp on the other hand also judges your art skills more than your sewing skills but that is because they expect you to already know how to sew and so rather than spend time teaching you to sew, like for instance London College of Fashion would, they assume you already know this and spend that extra time nurturing your creative spirit.

Remember that every school is different and for different people. There is no so-called "best" school but there is a "best" school for YOU. If working in RTW is what you want, go to a school who's graduates go on to do that. If you want to be part of Gucci go to a school like that. If you want to nurture your creativity and art in fashion skills Antwerp is a great place.

And what another person posted is true: RAFA doesn't need to help you with internships because it is a HIGHLY respected school. They have around 120 new students in first year and the atrition is so high that by 4th year only 30 or so graduate. If you make it through with a degree from RAFA you will not have much trouble finding a job or an internship. And big companies like Prada do recruit from there, their representatives will be at the shows, even if they do not have active agreements with the school.

For anyone who is having problems getting them to reply by email you have two choices. First, stop emailing and just call them. Remember English is not their first language, you're not top priority when they have a dozen Dutch emails to answer. Or, second, get someone who is Dutch to email them. My friend emailed them for me in Dutch and they replied the next day. Either way a lot of European schools are not very good with email, it really is best to call. Most speak enough English to help you.

20-06-2009
windowshopping

Hello everyone! (This is my very first tFS post!)
I was wondering if anyone knew if Antwerp has semester programs for people abroad? I wasn't able to find admission information (in English) on their website.

21-06-2009
front row

Thank you rockitgirl fot the information I'd love to go there but i my dutch sucks :s

29-06-2009
windowshopping

sooo, who is here on Wednesday for entrance exam?
(I suppose if you do come, you dont check this forum one day before )

29-06-2009
windowshopping

and this is my girlfriend's graduation collection (part of the collection actually) from this year's show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antwerp...er/3622380750/

www.senayoon.com

15-07-2009
windowshopping

Got in.
That was infinitely more stressful and difficult than getting into Saint Martins. Anyone else get in?

15-07-2009
V.I.P.

^Congratulations!

...and can you fill us in on the admission/testing process when you have a chance? Was it horribly difficult?

05-09-2009
front row

Rockitgirl: Do you have to know how to sew before attending RAFA then?

21-10-2009
windowshopping

Royal Academy of Fine Arts,Fashion Department,Antwerpen
Hi...does anyone have an experience or know something about this school?
I applied for MA course at CSM twice and now I am thinking about going to BA in Antwerpen ( since I have heard that they do not accept BA degrees from other schools).I like what they do on shows..( I graduated fashion in Serbia at Faculty for design, so it is difficult to get anywhere, sometimes

Any advice would be very helpfull.. ??

01-06-2010
scenester

Doe anyone know what exactly a document that grants you access to university is , i would of thought it was a secondary higher education certificate but they ask for that also ?

04-07-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdas View Post
Doe anyone know what exactly a document that grants you access to university is , i would of thought it was a secondary higher education certificate but they ask for that also ?
I faced the same problem and I tried to clarify what they meant, rephrasing my question a bunch of times but couldn't quite figure it out. Inspite of rampant google translator abuse and emails in Dutch (they respond way faster) I was left with a very vague explanation. Prior to this, I'd sent them an official docu that granted me access to a University for Higher studies but did not specify "ANY INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY". I gather thats what they wanted on account of different education and grading systems worldwide.

Regardless, I was out of time so I sent them the other relevant documents without much hope of getting my registration letter, but they sent it to me anyway in a couple weeks time. Much shock and awe. Heh. I couldn't attend the entrance exam this year (rather unfortunate personal circumstances). Dates were 1st and 2nd July. The second set of exams happen on the 1st and 2nd of September but the seats are way limited then. Anyways, i'm trying again next year and I hope I don't run into the same problems as last time.

Btw, did you pay the registration fees? It says on the document the fees are valid for the next 3 years as well.

08-07-2010
Tobias Funke

Does it really cost 769,641.30 USD to go to the school? I am confused.. does it really cost over 300,000 each year for international students?

NeverNude
09-07-2010
V.I.P.

^Where did you read about this?!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
academy, antwerp, royal