How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ionn24@Aug 25 2004, 05:17 PM
Faust.. as with NYC.. yeah.. seriously.. so *((*&( over-rated.. I found so much better places to hang out in Boston or Paris.... ugh... I am yet to find one good NYC club/place I like except the shopping.. but again.. yeah.. Dirk is hard to get in NYC.... except Century 21
[snapback]345243[/snapback]
In Century, second line only

There are awesome places to go out in NYC, it just depends on your tastes/preferences.

Boston <shudders>....

26-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by macchiom@Aug 26 2004, 04:58 AM
I agree Poell makes beautiful clothes but he’s from Austria and not Antwerp, and I believe he graduated in Milan…

On another note I really want to go to Antwerp after reading all the recommendations here.
[snapback]345788[/snapback]
Where are you located?

26-08-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 26 2004, 05:12 PM
Where are you located?
[snapback]345968[/snapback]
Denmark

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by macchiom@Aug 26 2004, 04:36 PM
Denmark
[snapback]346420[/snapback]
Ah, nice, not that far from Antwerp. I Copenhagen.

26-08-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 26 2004, 11:38 PM
Ah, nice, not that far from Antwerp. I Copenhagen.
[snapback]346425[/snapback]
No it’s not that far from Antwerp. But as a student without a car it’s a little complicated to get there…

Copenhagen is great but so is my hometown Århus. It’s the second biggest city in Denmark but we’re only about 300.000 (300,000) inhabitants (many of them students) and everything is practically in walking distance. If you don’t know it, feel free to take a look at http://www.visitaarhus.com/

And to stop sounding like a commercial , I should add that it sometimes tends to be a little too provincial here, and the shopping unfortunately lets a lot to be desired.

Stitch:the Hand

Acid,you're right about the shopping in Antwerpen. I couldn't believe I bought so much for so little. And I was there during sale time too! The only problem however,is that one sometimes can't find alot in their sizes. But even the stuff not on sale isn't as expensive as other cities....of course I was buying alot of Belgian designers too.

26-08-2004

Hogeschool btw,is actually the school board of all the design/art schools in Antwerp,if I'm not mistaken. Flanders Fashion Institute is really the specific name of the school itself which is part of ModeNatie on Nationalestraat.

26-08-2004
Boy
scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Aug 25 2004, 04:37 PM
Well, I went there for Dirk Bikkimbergs whose first line is next to impossible to get in NYC. I can get HL cheap here

I just like everything about Antwerp - it's cozy, yet everything is in place, culture, fashion, beer, chocolate. It has a wonderful strip of modern architecture along the river, and plenty of old architecture. It has a decent night life, nothing like NYC, but I enjoyed Velvet Lounge and Little Buddha. It's a stone throw from Amsterdam, Paris, London. What else does one need? I wanna mooooooooooooove!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, do you know if Dirk B. opened his store in Antwerp yet? I know Veronique Branqhuino was opening one last time I was there. Is Raf ever planning to open a store? His accessories are impossible to find!!!
[snapback]345207[/snapback]
Dirk hasnt opend one yet , and Raf Simons you can find at the best dealer in antwerp "Louie" they sell a lot of belgian designer clothes

b@theboy.be
26-08-2004

yeah,Louis is the first shop to carry all the Belgians. Used to be only Belgian designers there before Gert Bruloot(former owner) turned it over somebody else. Now its not so exclusive anymore with Rick Owens and Balenciaga there. Its still,however,the best for Belgian designers.

Btw,Wim Neels,perhaps the most discreet of the Belgians has a new shop in Antwerp too. He opened his a month or two before Veronique.

27-08-2004

I just wanted to make a point about the school. I think if the other schools like St. Martin's and Parsons were to take some tips from the Belgian way of teaching,I think we'd see more balance in alot of designer's collections. Too often,its one-sided--in NY its too commercial and in London its too creative. If those schools can find a way to teach the art of being creative and still producing good, solid,quality collections,we'd see an upsurge in the talents. Plus,more continuity in fashion.

27-08-2004
loaded and locked

yeah, kinda back to the original topic.... i know how it feels to go to school in a foreign country and have to learn the language..

i am currently living in tokyo spending a year studying japanese so that i am able to go to fashon school next year. the school is "bunka fashion college" or bunka fukusou gakuin. i originally wanted to go to parson's, but thought everyone and their dog goes there, so with a little bit of luck i was able to attend this school and am on my way to having perhaps an extra charm point above the rest.

so what im saying is, going abroad to study fashion has to be the best idea i can think of.. you get to take the fashion culture you grew up with and learn another while you're at it. and being in a different country really gets the creative wheels turning.

oh, and im sure you'll have no problem learning dutch if i can learn japanese

28-08-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Aug 26 2004, 07:57 PM
yeah,Louis is the first shop to carry all the Belgians. Used to be only Belgian designers there before Gert Bruloot(former owner) turned it over somebody else. Now its not so exclusive anymore with Rick Owens and Balenciaga there. Its still,however,the best for Belgian designers.

Btw,Wim Neels,perhaps the most discreet of the Belgians has a new shop in Antwerp too. He opened his a month or two before Veronique.
[snapback]346606[/snapback]
I wasn't impressed with Louis' selection - too few pieces, the space is small. But I got my most prized possession there, a pair of pants from Raf Simons "Archives" - a tiny collection of his classics Raf created especially for Louis the season he went on sabbatical (spring 01).

Oops, sorry to take this off topic.

28-08-2004

It is small in both respects,but somehow I liked that. Its very discreet and it made you feel like you were shopping for treasures rather than some gratuitous "fashion store" feeling where there's so much it confuses. I do think,too,that they've toned down quite alot as far as accessiblity in the last few years. Like with Jurgi,his Spring 02 collection had no stitching but still had quite an abundance of experimental pieces,yet all of the stuff they had was very simple.

12-01-2005
V.I.P.

Antwerp Royal Academy
Project: Denim 4-ever
http://www.antwerp-fashion.be/

12-01-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

oh I absolutely adore that last shot! That dress is gorgeous! Care to post more?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
academy, antwerp, royal