How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
vg...when you're at school, you don't have to design clothes for people to wear...you can design just for the sake of design...that's the beauty of it...

creative freedom...

after school you have to always worry about the business side of things...and if it will sell...

that's what's so great about being in school...and if you're lucky...you get to be around other people as creative as you are...looks like there's quite a lot of talent there...

maybe that's the difference...european designers go to school and really study fashion...and design...americans aren't so serioius about the design...they are more focused on the business side of it...and will it sell...

i wish more people on this side of the ocean paid attention to design...
beautiful things make life so much more pleasant... the arts are so valuable to society... i feel like we don't pay enough attention to the arts in the US...

art feeds the soul...
2nd (well, 3rd, after Alex).

13-01-2005
stories everywhere

wow... the one collection with the Kabuki masks is ab fab!

Stitch:the Hand

Ultimately,each year's assignment(if you want to call it that)is supposed to help with the student's identity for when they do graduate and get out in the real world. Its quite benficial.

Actually,I've heard that shop,Labels Inc.,which carries alot of overstock of Belgian designer's collections,does sell the work of student's. Personally,I think I'd wear some of what's been shown here.

And in looking at these collections again,I must say,there's definitive influence from their instructor...Walter Van Beirendock.

13-01-2005
backstage pass

It was an amazing show, very professional and beautiful. If you ever have the chance to go there (tickets can be bought for it), do it!
Can you actually believe that most people thought this year was less exciting than previous ones?!? I also loved the work of Alexandra Mein, a 4th year graduate.
Some (gossiping) people even suggested that Viktor&Rolf get some of their ideas from these shows, because they attend them and in 2003 one of the student used 'deer horns' (don't know the English word for it) and they used it in their season after that... and now they used the helmets as well... makes you think huh? The collection with the 'Kabuki masks' was outstanding too.

More by Alexandra Mein

On a side note: the shoes at these shows are very beautiful too, you often see they are a bit neglected at Graduation shows. I was stunned by some of the high heels they used, probably by other designers since the show is sponsored by many Antwerp stores too.

Last edited by Alura; 13-01-2005 at 02:06 PM.
13-01-2005
V.I.P.

Wonderful, all-around.

13-01-2005

Alura,I loved Alexandra Mein's collection! She got alot of flack because she used so much animal skin and incorporated taxidermied birds. All antique however. I thought it was quite beautiful myself,and alot of what I heard,despite the controversy,say she was probably the best one. It was like "Blade Runner" meets "Mad Max",that collection.

I think when they were saying that it wasn't so good as previous,they were mainly talking about the final year students. Apart from Alexandra,it really wasn't. The earlier year collections,as I said before,were the best of the "SHOW".

As for V&R,I'm not surprised. They're idiots.

13-01-2005

btw,I'm surprised they were even in attendance. In '03,they apparently said some awful things to the Belgian press which really pissed off alot of people there. Most particularly Walter Van B. and Linda Loppa.

13-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
btw,I'm surprised they were even in attendance. In '03,they apparently said some awful things to the Belgian press which really pissed off alot of people there. Most particularly Walter Van B. and Linda Loppa.
I wouldn't want to piss off Walter. Giant of a man

13-01-2005

A gentle giant,really. He can scare the bejeebies out of you upon first seeing him,but he's actually quite nice from what I hear. I don't know,though,I was not all there at the time I saw him

13-01-2005
woolgathering

Um, I can't believe some of this is student work...I'm impressed!

13-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
I wouldn't want to piss off Walter. Giant of a man
He's an absolute darling , very friendly and very nice. His store is great as well.

It's true the final year students weren't the best except for Alexandra Mein, there was some fluorescent stuff that I thought was horrible. I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet.

13-01-2005

Man,Walter was staring me down like an hawk when I visited his shop.
I felt like a giddy school-girl seeing their favorite pop star...really horrible the way I acted Always next time,I suppose..

Anyway,the reason I didn't post anything was I guess because at the time the collections were presented it was just final year that was being shown,and I didn't feel compelled to post anything. It really was their less inspiring year.

13-01-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

Softie, totally agree with your point regarding US schools refocusing on design. However, I think maybe a lot of belgians could incorporate a bit more business in as it seems that they are always struggling to stay afloat financially? maybe that is because they are focused more on design though, and thus their clothing appeals to a much smaller market? Interesting conundrum.

Anyway, I much appreciate this thread. Scott, there are a lot of pieces here that I would wear too I really really adore those trenches with the 'folding' or oversized pleats. Gorgeous

13-01-2005

I know. Those trenches are amazing. I also think the menswear is really cool looking too. First time,I've ever really been enchanted by men's collection. The early Bernhard W. looking stuff in that second plate,I think it is...love it!

17-03-2005
Don
scenester

i also would like to agree that this college's work is phenomynal. i too have visited the site and thought that the final year was nothing spesh...but the other years!?! It all looks so professional as well. One of the second year men's wear students won a competition in Italy called 'It's Four'.....quite nice stuff

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
academy, antwerp, royal