How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-06-2014
backstage pass

Apparel Fashion Engineering Studies
Hey everyone, I need some help. So now I am forming my education program and I need to decide where I am going to study. So KTU(Kaunas Technology University) university is offering Apparel Fashion Engineering Studies. So basicly, when you end studys you now what fabrics tu choose, how they made, how to cut clothes, how to create models with visual programmes, know apparel creating technologies.

My question is - will it be easy for me to find job in industry after graduating these studies? Will I be able to work in fashion houses? What is the best profession with such knowledge (without designer)?

TIA

04-06-2014
V.I.P.

I really have not heard of this ... but it's probably a wave of the future. It sounds promising to me ....

I would guess that these skills would not be needed in the "fashion houses' where so much is done by the designer. But I do see a need by those large companies who roll out tons of clothes to their retail outlets. Thinking of companies like American Apparel, the Gap, Zara, H&M.

I would think that they already use someone with these skills .... but don't call it "fashion engineering". This person might work directly with the designers, and create from the designers' ideas, to see if it would make sense financially. They would work on costs of various designs ... figuring out how to make the most garments from the least amount of fabric and labor. When you are a high volume producer, every bit of costs that you can save makes a huge difference.

It's very interesting .... I'd like to hear from anyone who knows something about this topic.

04-06-2014
V.I.P.

Digging a bit via Google: I see that there are some jobs out there that are related, but a bit different from what I said above.

For example I saw a "Senior Pattern Maker" job who reports to the Apparel Engineer Mgr. And another job for an "Apparel Quality Engineer" who needs to have an Apparel Engineering degree. And another one for "Material Developer ... Trims" which will accept this degree. So ... it looks like the jobs are out there ... and in various departments in apparel production.

05-06-2014
backstage pass

I talked with one of the students of these studies, so he said that the aim of these studies is how to technologically qualitatively create apparels.

Thank you for information BetteT, it's very helpful!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
apparel, engineering, fashion, studies