How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-01-2008
rising star

You have the typical art programs, as well as arts management (with concentrations in fashion, sports, media, visual or performance art), music business, audio arts, writing programs, dance, game design, public relations...there's a lot here, arts wise.

Definitely check out some schools on the east coast as well.

Last edited by KindlyCuddly; 19-01-2008 at 05:27 AM.

19-01-2008
V.I.P.

If you study either one, be prepared to work VERY HARD, you must be highly organised or else you'll end up having sleepless nights or weeks. You'll notice your social life will decrease dramatically Its not hard work as in difficult to understand but its just a LOT of work. Definetly dont leave it to the day before its due! I remember my first year, what a shock! Fashion design seems kind of "easy" compared to this and also buildings/interiors have a much longer life than clothes which you wear for a season or two. You also have to think about plans, construction, space, materials, function, aesthics, clients, time constraints, pump ideas out very fast, and there is a lot of WHY did you do this? when presenting. It is also a hard industry to work in, you really have to have IT and its great if you have contacts because its not easy asking for work experience at big architectural firms....

But it feels very rewarding when you've completed a design that you love and its well received...good luck!

Dezeen.com is a great site for inspiration by the way and mocoloco.com, sometimes...

Last edited by lemeray; 19-01-2008 at 06:18 AM.
19-01-2008
V.I.P.

Also you spend a LOT of money on materials for the course, like foam boards which are very expensive, cutting board, pens, rulers, glue, t squares, paper, computer programs like photoshop, then like special materials which are hard to get for a project...I probably spent $2000 or more in one year for materials...

19-01-2008
front row

^ Wow...
Lemeray, if you don't mind me asking, what school do/did you attend?

19-01-2008
rising star

Oh, I definitely will check out a lot of schools in Chicago and the east coast. My parents are pushing for Chicago since it's closer, but we'll see what school ends up being the best, both education and money-wise.

Haha, so I've heard that the business is a lot of work, but I think I can handle it. At least I will try! =D
Thank you for all the info, though, Lemeray! It's good to have a heads up as to what will happen instead of having me get to that point and go "Ahh! What's going on??"

20-01-2008
rising star

Oh! While you're looking in Chicago, you might want to take a look at the interior architecture program at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. The school has more "prestige" than Columbia, but their programs are more "art and theory" based while Columbia is more pre-professional if that makes any sense.

20-01-2008
rising star

Ohh thanks! I definitely will have to add that one to my list too. How are those colleges with tuition? Is it very high? Do they give scholarships?

20-01-2008
V.I.P.

thanks for your response^

i didn't notice interior + exterior architecture could be separated

i would say architecture is also design, like fashion
what sets them apart i suppose is fashion is more about one person's own vision
and to have it appeal to the masses
whereas for architects, it's close to a one-to-one basis, having to work with a client and together they form a plan... in that sense you only need to please a few people

20-01-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyefitsheaven View Post
Ohh thanks! I definitely will have to add that one to my list too. How are those colleges with tuition? Is it very high? Do they give scholarships?
Hmm, well they're private schools so they're a bit high...Columbia is actually pretty cheap for an art school, 16k a year, but are notoriously bad with financial aid. SAIC however is around 30k+, much more expensive but they probably have much better financial aid.

21-01-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
thanks for your response^

i didn't notice interior + exterior architecture could be separated

i would say architecture is also design, like fashion
what sets them apart i suppose is fashion is more about one person's own vision
and to have it appeal to the masses
whereas for architects, it's close to a one-to-one basis, having to work with a client and together they form a plan... in that sense you only need to please a few people
I like that description of architecture! I totally get that in fashion, you have to appeal to the masses while being unique at the same time, which can get tough, whereas architecture and interior design, you work mainly with one client. I am starting to lean towards interior design more. I think that if I get too antsy after doing that for a couple of years, I might go back to school and get a fashion degree, but we'll see. Only time can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindlyCuddly View Post
Hmm, well they're private schools so they're a bit high...Columbia is actually pretty cheap for an art school, 16k a year, but are notoriously bad with financial aid. SAIC however is around 30k+, much more expensive but they probably have much better financial aid.
Columbia isn't so bad, 16K a year. I've been looking at ridiculously expensive colleges and my parents just give me this disapproving look, haha. SAIC might be a bit too much for our budget, so I think I'll take a look at mainly Columbia. I'm looking at something that's anywhere from 4K-10K a semester. Oh if only college was cheap. Lol.

31-01-2008
rising star

i study architecture too..
although in Australia, so i can't help you with schools.
but i can say, that the spending lots of money on materials and it being VERY time consuming, yet highly fulfilling are all very true statements.

the only warning i would offer, which really applies for pretty much every applied design field, is to be ready to accept a lot of criticism....i mean every time you present ideas or work, everyone is there to tell you how to change it and what they like/ don't like. I t is absolutely what you need to move forward in your work, but when you are spending sooo much time on something, you get very attached to it, and the "constructive criticism" gets a little much for just bout everyone at some point.
it really makes you think about your design decisions and helps you to become better spoken about them as well..which is good.

31-01-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeray View Post
If you study either one, be prepared to work VERY HARD, you must be highly organised or else you'll end up having sleepless nights or weeks. You'll notice your social life will decrease dramatically Its not hard work as in difficult to understand but its just a LOT of work. Definetly dont leave it to the day before its due! I remember my first year, what a shock! Fashion design seems kind of "easy" compared to this and also buildings/interiors have a much longer life than clothes which you wear for a season or two. You also have to think about plans, construction, space, materials, function, aesthics, clients, time constraints, pump ideas out very fast, and there is a lot of WHY did you do this? when presenting. It is also a hard industry to work in, you really have to have IT and its great if you have contacts because its not easy asking for work experience at big architectural firms....

But it feels very rewarding when you've completed a design that you love and its well received...good luck!

Dezeen.com is a great site for inspiration by the way and mocoloco.com, sometimes...
oh my god, your post freaked me out.... i know it demands a lot of work...but when you explan it, it's like it was impossible to succeed ...
next year won't be easy, i hesitate btw psychology and interior design...
i'm gonna die..

31-01-2008
V.I.P.

Oh their were many times I wanted to die during my course Especially those nights when I hadnt slept for days, I was cold, shaky, hungry and hallucinating Its funny now but not at the time. I blame mostly TFS for distracting me

The best advice I can give you for the future is be organised, very important, its the key to surviving, dont think ''I'll do it tommorrow'' and think a lot when designing, have a lot of ideas and if you think one is particularly great, think how you could push it more...because they always say...you can push it more...but not like completely crazy

And its true about the criticism, especially when you havent slept for nights and you put your heart into it. Its worse when you can feel tears coming, just try not to cry when they are saying something bad. Some teachers can be really mean and some can be really nice but also it can give you a greater perspective at the same time.

And of course expect the bitchness from the students esp behind your back....it can be competetive and sometimes teachers have favourites

Last edited by lemeray; 31-01-2008 at 12:15 PM.
31-01-2008
front row

thanks to explain...

but it's so scary...do i really know in what i'm putting myself?

31-01-2008
front row

Yeah, I'm not so sure about this anymore...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
architecture, design, interior, schools