How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-02-2008
V.I.P.

don't freak out
i think it's really like this in many programs...
i didn't study architecture, but i remember times of being cold, shaky, hungry and hallucinating due to sleepless nights too i went through just as much of a work load

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeray
Oh their were many times I wanted to die during my course Especially those nights when I hadnt slept for days, I was cold, shaky, hungry and hallucinating
you should try it out and see, you'll learn a lot about yourself
it takes a lot of self-discipline
if you're not cut out for it, you can always try something else

01-02-2008
trendsetter

I am right now at a design school, this year i finish it, and i will be a interior designer but i will go to another school to be interior architect. But this is netherland...

01-02-2008
V.I.P.

Ooops I hope I didnt freak people out School was so easy compared to uni...And gius is right many courses will give you a lot of work Just try it, you can always change course, your still young, I know heaps of people who changed their course after a year. No one is 100 percent sure what they want to do when they finish.

Zoely Im doing the same thing as you but I finished my interior design course last year, this year interior architecture. I think it will be more stressful

Last edited by lemeray; 01-02-2008 at 05:44 AM.
02-02-2008
rising star

Ohh lovely to see some new replies!

Yeah I figured that it'd be intensely hard, especially with the criticism. I actually don't mind criticism that much, I often seek it in my daily work since people around here are too afraid to give any. I tend to give lots of constructive criticism then get people angry at me..haha oh well.

But thank you lemeray, gius, and anyone else that posted. You're all giving me lots of excellent information! I think that I will take a shot at interior design/architecture, since it's been a dream of mine to design. The biggest problem for me will be the procrastination, I think...haha I always tend to do projects a day or two before they're due, but so far I've done great on those projects. Haha.

02-02-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeray View Post
Zoely Im doing the same thing as you but I finished my interior design course last year, this year interior architecture. I think it will be more stressful
where are you doing that?? I think also that it will be more stressfull!

04-02-2008
windowshopping

I go to Cornell University, and we have Design and Environmental Analysis--DEA for short. There are three options for the major: Interior Design (Option I), Facility Planning and Management (Option II), and Human Factors and Ergonomics (Option III). It's a great program, and you have the prestige factor with the Ivy League status.

Check it out here:

http://www.human.cornell.edu/DEA/

04-02-2008
windowshopping

Also, Cornell's architecture program is probably one of the strongest majors at the university (along with Hotel Administration and Mechanical and Aerospace engineering).

http://www.aap.cornell.edu/arch/

04-02-2008
backstage pass

im sorry i am also in australia so i cant reccomend any schools but here is my 2c

when you get down to it although they are both jobs that require you to create things, and allow you to use creativity to design on a daily basis fashion design and architecture are very different jobs in very different industries.

Id say work experience is the way to go, suss out what industry you enjoy more. I like the sound of the architect in New York! It sounds like an amazing opportunity...Architecture can offer more stable jobs, and you can also pursue your interest in fashion on the side, if one day you make the right connections you can start making/ selling your own clothes or maybe collaborate with someone - have fun!

and remember if tom ford did it....

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthesohn View Post
Also, Cornell's architecture program is probably one of the strongest majors at the university (along with Hotel Administration and Mechanical and Aerospace engineering).

http://www.aap.cornell.edu/arch/
Thank you for the link and your help! I've looked into Cornell and especially Columbia U, but I don't think that my parents and I would be able to afford it. I think I might go to a more prestigious school for my Master's or PhD if I decide to go that far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionistasista View Post
im sorry i am also in australia so i cant reccomend any schools but here is my 2c

when you get down to it although they are both jobs that require you to create things, and allow you to use creativity to design on a daily basis fashion design and architecture are very different jobs in very different industries.

Id say work experience is the way to go, suss out what industry you enjoy more. I like the sound of the architect in New York! It sounds like an amazing opportunity...Architecture can offer more stable jobs, and you can also pursue your interest in fashion on the side, if one day you make the right connections you can start making/ selling your own clothes or maybe collaborate with someone - have fun!

and remember if tom ford did it....
Yeah, and that's what I like about those careers! I've always been the odd one out in my family, the only artsy kid while everyone else is either in education or engineering. It's nice that there's a career out there that has the stability but also allows you to be creative instead of doing the same old thing every day like most people do.

I'm definitely looking forward to going to Chicago or NYC! I don't know which of the two I'll end up staying in, I'm guessing where ever they offer me a better job (with more money, duh ). I'm hoping to go more into fashion once I get my architecture/interior design degree (still haven't decided between the two, aah!).

have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it. salvador dali
05-02-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterise View Post
Yeah, I'm not so sure about this anymore...
I'm just going into my 3rd year of Interior Arch and Design at a Sydney college and like everyone has said, it's been really tough. About half the people in our course have dropped out...
BUT...
...because it's such hard work, it really makes you think about whether or not you really want to do it... you decide pretty quickly what your willing to sacrifice to do what you really love doing - if you don't want to make the sacrifice because you don't really love it, then get into something else asap, because you probably won't make it in that specific area.
Good luck with whatever you end up doing

05-02-2008

http://archidesk.blogspot.com/
The above blog is by an architecture student and if you read through the archives you can see the process of some of their assignments from uni

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvystone View Post
http://archidesk.blogspot.com/
The above blog is by an architecture student and if you read through the archives you can see the process of some of their assignments from uni
Thanks for posting that! I'm definitely going to check that out. It'll be a big help.

have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it. salvador dali
08-02-2008
less is more

I'm going into third year Architecture in Australia too bliss_. It's the same at my uni; so many people have dropped out and the staff actually warned us at the start of first year that half of us would be gone by the end. Same with the sacrifices; during semester my social life is always the thing that ends up suffering, along with my sleeping.
On a side note, I've got a few battle scars from fights with my stanley knife which is used for model making. I still have a 1cm long scar on one of my fingers from where I got myself by accident when trying to cut balsa wood during a first year class. Though, funny thing is, I was more worried abut getting blood on the model than my finger because it was a model made over an entire semester.
Though, one of my friends got off worse. She got herself on the hand with a cutting knife during the same project and needed 4 stitches. But again, because of the importance of the project, she finished the model and then too herself off to hospital!

08-02-2008
V.I.P.

I so know what you mean! It's kind of funny but not that you sacrafice your health so much just to make sure you finish your project in time especially when you've worked so hard.

08-02-2008
less is more

Yeah, and your healthy habits are all forgotten when you have a design crit or and a major assignment. I end up having way too much caffeine to keep me going (I never drink coffee or coke in "real" life) and eating junk food because its the quickest and easiest to get (and again, I'm a health food freak and vegetarian).
You pour your life and soul into these major projects, and its really disheartening when the design critic gives you tonnes of criticisms (even if they're constructive ones). Don't get me started on mean design critics though; I've seen quite a few meanies make fellows students cry or alternatively, rip parts off their architectural models because they don't like it (and these are models you spend hours and hours on). Very demoralising.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
architecture, design, interior, schools