How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2008
scenester

Awesome. Good luck with your studies It's hard to resist the city anyways!

03-04-2008
trendsetter

I am going to HKU.. That a art school in Utrecht ( holland ).. so i am excited!

24-04-2008
V.I.P.

Anyone here actually working now as an interior designer ??

07-05-2008
trendsetter

i am working as a interior designer on my own time right now..

29-06-2008
front row

anyone going into their first year of Architecture this year?
after reading through this thread I'm kinda afraid what I'm getting myself into...

29-06-2008
less is more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
anyone going into their first year of Architecture this year?
after reading through this thread I'm kinda afraid what I'm getting myself into...
I wouldn't worry. They generally go pretty easy (well in comparison) on you in first year, particularly in the first semester. You build up to the heavy work loads as you progress, it's not just dumped on you first day of the first week of first year. Good luck!! If worst comes to worst, and you hate it, just change courses!!

26-10-2008
front row

I'd thought I would revive this thread. I am thinking about applying to graduate school in t he field of interior design-- anyone have any experience with this? I have looked at Pratt and RISD, however, I have heard mixed things about Pratt, and RISD seems to focus more specifically on "interior architecture" which I don't fancy as much. I would love opinions from everyone, as this is a world I have not existed in yet... thanks.

26-12-2008
less is more

I finished my first degree in architecture everyone!!! Three years of torture have come to an end!! Now I have to find a job....

26-12-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
I finished my first degree in architecture everyone!!! Three years of torture have come to an end!! Now I have to find a job....

Congrats!! I'm sure you'll find a job
Let us know how the job searching is.

I still have some years to go :p

12-08-2009
windowshopping

I'm applying as an architecture grad student in the fall and I was wondering what I should put in my portfolio. I'm a math student in a US university so I have a very limited selection of art and drawings, but I do dabble in photography and graphic design. How many pieces should I put in it? Five? Ten? Should I explain each piece or let them speak for themselves. HELP please. A mentor offered the idea of putting a math proof in the portfolio, as they are quite detailed and can require a good bit of creativity to arrive at a desired solution. It can show my thinking process and how I have spent the last four years. I have a charcoal still-life that I was thinking of putting in there as well as some photoshop creations, an album cover for my band's demo, and some polaroids. Would these be silly to include? I love the polaroids but I do have to wonder if they'd be seen as lazy.

I'll be applying to the first professional degree program for people with a bachelor's degree in an area other than architecture. Are these graduate courses as rigorous as the others? Some of the posts in this thread have me frightened a little. But I've visited some schools, read the literature, and this really seems like something I could love and do for the rest of my life. I either get terrified or really excited when I think about my future in school and professional career, there's no inbetween, which I suppose is a good thing but also quite scary at the same time...

30-08-2009
front row

Quote:
Only three years for a degree!? I'm a third year student pursuing my Bachelor's of Architecture which takes five years. The school I attend, IIT, has a very well esteemed architecture program that was headed by the famous Mies van der Rohe during the 40s and 50s.

23-11-2011
trendsetter

Your definition of interior design
Hey,

I would like to get to know some of your definitions of interior design, since here is so many people from different places. I'm really interested in knowing how developed interior design in other countries really is, if people are aware of it.

I'm going to apply for interior design in fall, but in my country we don't really even have a university program and people don't really know what's it about, it's not considered as something "perspective" here, so hopefully I will be going abroad.

.my prison is your brain.

Stasha, though this thread has not been updated in some time you may find it helpful to go back and read through. There is quite a bit of discussion on different programs, including links to different schools of study curriculum.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than mine on the subject, will also see the thread bump, and give you some feedback

23-11-2011
V.I.P.

Interior "design" includes the architectural aspects of the job too, in addition to decorating the space. Interior design often involves a complete space remodel. So, this can include building or removing walls, door and windows, planning electrical services, plumbing, heating, air conditioning ... everything from the walls in. You might be involved in a kitchen or bath remodel, an addtion on a house, finishing a basement. So it's a highly technical job. You combine some of the technical skills that an architect has, need to know how everything works and must know all of the local building codes, because you will work closely with various contractors (electrcial, plumbers, and so on) as you plan your design ... and then will decorate the space after it's either built or remodeled.

Whereas interior "decorating" refers to decorating that space, as it is ... wall and window coverings, assessories, furniture, art.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.
07-12-2011
backstage pass

Hey Stasha,
I'm currently on my 3rd year of Architecture education.
Architecture incorporates what interior designers do. After all architects plan the whole structure/building, including the layouts of the individual spaces. Interior designers imo 'design' within these limits set by the architects, which could mean coming up with a new layout. The architect determined how much and the quality of light that is going into the space in general and you can then manipulate the light further. And as BetteT said you'll also need to know regulations that architects do, albeit on a smaller scale. Interior designers would probably have more knowledge of surface finishing materials; what kind of fabric for carpet/curtains, bathroom tiles, etc... I'd also say that as an Interior designer you wouldn't have to worry too much about how your design works in terms of structure because more than likely the structure is already given.

I think the key to interior design is 'Detail', and they are a bit more personal to the clients.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
architecture, design, interior, schools