How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-05-2008
front row

I have no idea what major to study, even less of an idea for what career I want. I've been thinking about going for business, but when I look at the courses offered for that degree... I just want to run the other way. But art history sounds interesting, it covers everything I would actually enjoy learning.
But I know if I went in that direction my family wouldn't be happy... I can already hear my mother saying "that's a bull&%*t idea". But why worry about the job part now? I should just study what I'm interested in learning. Right? Or would that be poor planning?

31-05-2008
backstage pass

Don't worry....I got the same lecture from my parents when I decided to major in Art History. But, it is a good general education not just in art but in so much more. Do what you'lll like, I know so many people who are in majors they hate because they have stable career oportunitites.

01-06-2008
windowshopping

I'm so glad someone started this thread.
I'm thinking of applying to do Art History and I had no idea what you could do with it except for the usual curatorial type jobs so thanks!

I think if you're interested in it, you should go for it and as people have already said it's not always what you did your degree in so much as the fact you did one at all that looks good to employees. So if it's what you're really interested in- go for it.

10-06-2008
scenester

Whooo, art history majors! I've been told by my old adviser when I was in school that the old-school thought of "art history major" is a socialite girl, a la Jackie Kennedy, and all the girls from good families that go to Sothebys or Christies to work (the so-called *ultimate* job).

I've done internships in both Art History and Fashion Magazines and they're both pretty okay/ pleased to hear that you're an Art History major- it means you can write, to say the least.

10-06-2008
backstage pass

I majored in Art History, and I loved learning as much as I could about art. I didn't end up using my major, per say, but my degree has been so valuable to what I am doing now (CA designation, which is sooo far removed from art) I will always love art and be interested in it.....but it's not the only subject that I love, and honestly.....I wanted a more reliable career (not that art history isn't reliable.....it's just not as reliable as some others) Just my .02

12-06-2008
fashion elite

Thought I'd join the conversation here- I just graduated from high school and am planning to study art history/arts management (I'm blessed to have chosen a school that has a an extensive department). That could always change within the next few years, but I highly doubt it. My ideal job would be in a gallery or auction house, though I know those jobs are super-competitive. I think for internships, museums are probably the best way to go, but I think I'd be bored if that were my career. I also love fashion (obviously) so something editorial would be wonderful, but I'll have to wait to see what comes out of connections, internships, etc. Also very interested in advertising and PR.

I guess I've just felt a little anxious lately thinking about my future. What if I make connections and DO get a job in fashion, then I probably wouldn't need a masters or PhD. My parents have always told me I should get at least a masters degree by the time I'm 30. If I wanted to work in galleries/auction houses/etc in the art market, then a higher degree is probably necessary to get to the higher levels. Has anyone had to deal with this choice or have any experience like this they could speak for? The doctorate route would be the more academic, intellectual (so to speak) way to go, but I don't know if I'll want so much school. I suppose if one did have a fashion/advertising/art job in a city they could take night classes to attain a higher degree, but especially with fashion, it's not really a 9-5 job so that could be unpredictable and not really pan out.

Sorry I'm talking myself in circles, but since graduation I've been thinking a lot about this lately!

22-06-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
^It is so true about learning the history of everything else around the art. I have amazed my family by knowing information about random saints (we're Jewish) simply because I have studied enough Renaissance art that depicts stories of saints .
hahah so true, everything I know about religion I learned through art history!

I have kind of a backward situation...I have my undergrad degree in art and art history but I am finishing up a short program in fashion and working in the industry right now. Eventually I want to get back to art history for grad school. Does anyone know anything about Costume history programs? and what I could do after? I was thinking that a program like this could open my options to dealing with museum fashion collections, working with vintage clothing, or styling on movie and tv sets...?
I love the fashion industry and definately want to stay in it, but I miss my history classes SO much! has anyone else thought about this type of program? or have any advice?
Thanks!!

23-06-2008
backstage pass

I was thinking about that too. You should definately look into the Costume Institute at the Met.

30-06-2008
This is the Renaissance

I'm an Art History major too!

Right now, I'm working as a part-time stylist. Most of what I do is catalogue work as I can't travel much because of school. I'm trying to figure out if it's something I want to pursue as a career. At the moment, I'm thinking of graduate school.

It's not a direct link, but my studies in Art History have helped my eye and the knowledge of historical costume has been an asset. I've also done some work with the Ballet and the Opera on costuming. My focus, however, is on Japanese art.

Honestly, I think you should study what you love rather than worrying about the career implications. I think most employers value critical thinking and creativity more than a degree in a certain subject.

07-07-2008
V.I.P.

I am soooo happy that I found this thread! I am planning to attend FIT for Art History in January and wanted to know what I could do with the degree. What's so cool at FIT is that they give you classes in the history of menswear, costumes, etc!

07-07-2008
windowshopping

MicheleIman, are you doing the master's program?

07-07-2008
V.I.P.

^No.

07-07-2008
windowshopping

oh ok i didnt think FIT had an art history major so I was just wondering!

07-07-2008
V.I.P.

No they don't. Visual Art Management is as close as you can get.

07-07-2008
windowshopping

I was considering art history as well, and after reading this I think I may have to get into it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, history