How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-07-2008
fashion elite

I'm really torn. I know that I'm most likely going to major in art history, but then I open up a fashion magazine and really think that I'd like to be in the publishing/editorial world. I suppose fashion doesn't really require a specific degree, so it would all be dependent upon various internships I got, and connections/networking.

I guess I just don't know if musuems would be too hum-drum for me. Does anyone have experience working in museums vs. galleries/auction houses and any advice/tips for interning or the industry? (vs. the fashion industry)

22-07-2008
V.I.P.

I worked as a docent at the Getty in L.A. and it became very boring after a while because we did the same thing over and over... but there was opportunities to change your speciality from time to time. Art museums almost always have various volunteer programs which might look impressive on a resume ... and which will get you some insight and training about the art and the functioning of the museum too.

22-07-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I worked as a docent at the Getty in L.A. and it became very boring after a while because we did the same thing over and over... but there was opportunities to change your speciality from time to time. Art museums almost always have various volunteer programs which might look impressive on a resume ... and which will get you some insight and training about the art and the functioning of the museum too.
I'm currently working as a docent for two museums for contemporary art in the Netherlands. I'm pretty sure it will look impressive on a resume, especially if it's volunteer work. It was no problem for me to get an internship as an assistent-curator at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, which is the biggest museum for contempory art in the Netherlands. The curator was very impressed by all my activities next to school. My internship ended last May, but the experience I gained at the museum, and the contact with the curator have landed me several freelance jobs, even though I'm still in school. So I guess it's not that different from the fashion industry, where it's all about networking and experience.

23-07-2008
fashion elite

Thanks for the tips! All of your internships/volunteer experience sounds great! I guess my issue would be that I need paid internships in order to live in NY (where I would most like to intern). I've researched and found quite a few.

Any clue how much one would make on average- say, as a curator? I know that art dealing is much more random to predict. That would be my dream though, working with a gallery as a dealer. Just don't know if I have the nerves/guts to be in that business! I'm also thinking about becoming a teacher, which I feel like would be much more practical money-wise.

23-07-2008
backstage pass

i work in my school's art museum and it is fairly small but good sized. if your school or anywhere in your community has an art museum i would check it out and see if they take volunteers. i volunteered during winter term and then in the spring term the started to pay me which was definitely a bonus besides resume experience. also a lot of museums have opportunities during special events like openings, etc. where they need extra help that you could work at as a museum rep or coordinator.

24-07-2008
windowshopping

Schools in New York
Hi everyone! I'm moving to New York soon (currently living in Los Angeles) and I would like some suggestions on where to take Art History classes. I'm really interested on that, but I'm kinda lost. I'm from Brazil and sometimes college degree here can be a little confusion to understand. I have a bachelor degree in Business and I was a fashion assistant and producer back in São Paulo (Brazil). I also did some styling myself. I really think that Art History can enrich my work and all the testimonials here were very helpful! Merci!

26-07-2008
rising star

Wow, I got an email a few days ago regarding an internship request I emailed about two months ago to this project space for contemporary art. They asked me if I was interested to work with them as an assistent curator for a few months. I originally applied for an pr/communication internship, just to fill in my extra time while working on my thesis, so this sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuggaStiletto View Post

Any clue how much one would make on average- say, as a curator?
I remember a job opening at the Stedelijk Museum, here in the Netherlands, which paid around 3000-3500 euro a month.

Last edited by xjessiex; 26-07-2008 at 06:21 AM.
26-07-2008
V.I.P.

^jessie ... you're a truly lucky girl ....
i need to get my fingers out of my a** (literal translation of a french expression ....)

01-08-2008
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkalil View Post
Hi everyone! I'm moving to New York soon (currently living in Los Angeles) and I would like some suggestions on where to take Art History classes. I'm really interested on that, but I'm kinda lost. I'm from Brazil and sometimes college degree here can be a little confusion to understand. I have a bachelor degree in Business and I was a fashion assistant and producer back in São Paulo (Brazil). I also did some styling myself. I really think that Art History can enrich my work and all the testimonials here were very helpful! Merci!
Maybe the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies? Check it out: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/ There are some undergrad./grad. degrees that you can get there, but, as far as I can tell, also courses you can take that aren't for a degree. Hope this helps If you wanted to do graduate work in art history I would look at the NYU graduate school or Columbia. But if you just wanted to take a class here or there the NYU Continuing Studies sound like it would be perfect!

01-08-2008
?

Does anyone have experience with the art history courses at Goldsmiths in London? I'm looking into them for next year. I want to remain in the fashion magazine industry but I am also interested in curating and museums, so I feel like studying art history could keep both doors open..

fashion elite

I feel like I've been posting way too much on this thread, but anyways, here goes...

I feel so torn. I haven't even begun my freshman year (2.5 weeks until I move in!), but I feel like I need to be more directed when I go to speak with my advisor. I took an art history course this past year at school and really liked it. Liked it, not love. The research sorta got to me, and sometimes I had trouble with the material. Then again, it was an independent study and my teacher basically just threw Oxford and Jansen at me the first day to use as I wrote papers, without any background/context.

Lately I've been thinking more and more about teaching. Elementary &/or special ed. I feel like this would contribute a lot more to society, and may be a more practical/stable career option. I know I'm going to take Survey of Art History this semester, so I can test out the waters, but my question is this: for those of you who are/were AH majors, would you recommend it? Or do you think, from your experience, that it would be wiser to go into a more practical field like education?

I just feel like if I decide to do education that I'd be limiting myself so much. I'd be a teacher for the rest of my life- which I'm not sure I want to be either. I think I'd like it, but I also think I need something more ambitious/career-oriented. If I did art history who knows what could happen? Through internships, networking...I could work in a museum, gallery, auction house, magazine, publishing, PR, etc. A good general degree...but if I wouldn't be making a lot of money...then how could I afford to live in NY, etc. where these industries are? I guess I also feel like choosing between education and art history is choosing between different future lifestyles as well...stressful.

04-08-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Maybe the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies? Check it out: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/ There are some undergrad./grad. degrees that you can get there, but, as far as I can tell, also courses you can take that aren't for a degree. Hope this helps If you wanted to do graduate work in art history I would look at the NYU graduate school or Columbia. But if you just wanted to take a class here or there the NYU Continuing Studies sound like it would be perfect!

Merci beaucoup ShuggaStiletto for the NYU tip. I saw some amazing courses there and I can't wait to start one of them! Really helpful.

05-08-2008
God Save McQueen

i forgot about this thread :(
Quote:
I'm really torn. I know that I'm most likely going to major in art history, but then I open up a fashion magazine and really think that I'd like to be in the publishing/editorial world. I suppose fashion doesn't really require a specific degree, so it would all be dependent upon various internships I got, and connections/networking.

I guess I just don't know if musuems would be too hum-drum for me. Does anyone have experience working in museums vs. galleries/auction houses and any advice/tips for interning or the industry? (vs. the fashion industry)
I have been volunteering/interning at a non-profit gallery and a commercial gallery this summer and I LOOOVVVEEE working at the non-profit. Everyone has a great attitude and the work we do really matters. A lot of the stuff I do at the commercial gallery is menial and boring, but at the non-profit the director really works with the volunteers and we play an active role. The more and more I think about it, the more I want to work in that sector somehow. There are also tons of gradschool programs for public arts administrations (one of the girls at LACE, where I work, is going to USC for it) and that also seems very interesting.

IDK, I used to want to curate and work in a museum, but now I am drawn this direction. Idk if my comment is any help

as for education. One of my best friends who was an art history major is going to grad school for education. She has always wanted to be a teacher, and because we don't have a pre-education major at my school, she did art history and now is going to grad school for education anyway . If you really like art and education, maybe you can double major or even look into museum education/art education post-graduate programs.

Either way, if you are just a freshman, you shouldn't really worry so much about this. I didn't declare my major until my sophomore year. I am about to enter my senior year and I still don't really know what I want to do yet.

05-08-2008
front row

I am so glad for this thread! I'm an Art History major myself and I only have a semester left before I get my degree...and let me tell you, it has not been any easier for me to decide what to do with my degree than it was when I first started my university career. Nevertheless, I am quite happy with having Art History as my major. It teaches you to look at details while also reminding you to examine the broader picture. Sometimes, i find myself discouraged trying to figure out what I'll do afterwards, but in the end I'm happy with my choice and thats what matters, right?

05-08-2008
rising star

Quote:
I just feel like if I decide to do education that I'd be limiting myself so much. I'd be a teacher for the rest of my life- which I'm not sure I want to be either. I think I'd like it, but I also think I need something more ambitious/career-oriented. If I did art history who knows what could happen? Through internships, networking...I could work in a museum, gallery, auction house, magazine, publishing, PR, etc. A good general degree...but if I wouldn't be making a lot of money...then how could I afford to live in NY, etc. where these industries are? I guess I also feel like choosing between education and art history is choosing between different future lifestyles as well...stressful.
Your first sentence was my reason not to become a teacher, even though I'm educated as one. So after that I became an art history student. Because my art school also offered an education degree and I got intensive art history courses there, I only had to go to University for 2 years, instead of 4. I'll be graduating at the end of this year. I'm really happy I decided to do both.

And about making money... I don't think you'll make a lot of money as a teacher either. I know you're trying to be realistic, but sometimes you need to follow your dreams, and see how far you can make it. It would be a shame if you had regrets later on in life.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, history