How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-07-2006
fashion icon

haha..thanks gius and seth c.
oh no no..the last one was just for fun..dont know how it got there
i suppose it's "rock" XD i was experimenting

15-07-2006
front row

Thanks Muxu for making this thread just what I needed!!
you have such great Menswear, and Seth has great style...

ok..Here goes..be honest, any sort of critque would be kindly appreciated, and gratefully accepted!! I NEED to get into Parsons(!)

KHOI

Last edited by Khoipond89; 15-07-2006 at 12:42 AM.

16-07-2006
backstage pass

your pictures are fine- but are you applying to foundation?(like most regular students) because unless you are applying for direct entry into fashion design they wont want to see fashion illustrations, just drawings from life.

16-07-2006
backstage pass

I am also planning on applying to parsons or fit, and I would like some feedback on my designs up above in that regard.

khoipond - i think you are a good artist. id concentrate on the centerlines more and id insert people into the clothes. id also like to see some coloring..

Last edited by Papercut Crisis; 16-07-2006 at 09:11 AM.

16-07-2006
front row

iyemstoopid, yeah I know they don't "prefer" to se fashion skecthes but maybe if I brought it with my life drawings they'll look at it anyways? Because i seriously didn't know until the last minute and by then I had already established a lot of these drawings...but can you apply directly to Fashion Design? because I wouldn't be there for any other reason..
Thanks!

Seth C., I would definitely try to add color but I really don't have much time, I'm running to get together more life drawings..I like how you have established your own sense of style, although I can't say too much...I don't have much experience in critiquing..

Last edited by Khoipond89; 16-07-2006 at 08:47 PM.

16-07-2006
backstage pass

you can only skip foundation year if you have already taken it, it basically helps you with your art skills including 3d and 2d design, drawing, etc. its required for all students.

the reason why you have to have life drawings is because you are applying to foundation as opposed to fashion design. its sophomore year before you can declare your major.
if you are going in for an interview, it may be fine if you just have your illustrations their for them to take a look at, but for the most part you will be judged off of your drawings from life.

dont stress to much over parsons.. besides isnt the deadline, like march?

16-07-2006
V.I.P.

Really great illustrations Khoipond! especially the two at the top.
I agree with Seth on adding colour. It will help show which fabrics you are going to use for each outfit.
I think the fourth outfit, the model with both arms bent, is the most easy-to-wear. The illustration's also well balanced--you balanced the detailed and non-detailed areas well.
I don't really like the one beside this outfit. I don't like the 'sharp' details on the belt and at the front seam. There's too much emphasis on those areas. But that's just my view of it.
I think you had a good balance in strict structure and loose frills in the first two illustrations.

It seems like you are dressing gowns for evening and formal events? Since they are all long skirts.

I have a feeling you have a good artistic sense. Your illustrations have a good sense of balance in structure, if you know what I mean.
It really is helpful to take a Foundations course to learn the basics, especially for design. You'll learn how colours affect eachother, how to maintain interest in your drawings, just generally how to create a good composition.
While you have some free time, you could also check some books on "Art Fundamentals" at the library. It will tell you the same things. My art teacher in high school was not very good at explaining things and I actually learnt it mostly on my own. When I started college, I was able to put that (and also some new things I learned from the course textbook) into "real" projects.

I just want to know one thing:
Are we critiquing DESIGN or ILLUSTRATION? All of you are putting up pictures of outfits you've made up, so I'm thinking you all want to study Fashion Design. I think Design and Illustration are a bit different...
I would like care less for wearability if it's just illustration...

16-07-2006
fashion icon

^well..i made this thread because of the design of the clothes..not the illustration
since there's a thread on that already

edit: khoipond...i really like your dresses...parsons material XD
since of the wearability

Last edited by MUXU; 16-07-2006 at 10:00 PM.

16-07-2006
V.I.P.

oh duh i should have known that in the beginning. iyemstoopid

and i agree too with you, muxu parsons
will you all go to parsons too?

16-07-2006
V.I.P.

^Ok oops... People have already said they are applying to that school

I can't really see your designs well, Seth C
From what I see, the designs are a bit simple or too easy-to-make. Of course even the famous designers do this, but I'd definitely like to see some more of your design, Seth

Is it even okay for me to critique? lol... I only study fashion design on my own time. I did finish two years of Fine Arts at university. And I used to teach a few students from grades 5-7. So I can give tips on composition...
Maybe you guys would like to join a few games at the Project Runway Game for more practice. http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ame-38855.html

17-07-2006
backstage pass

TFS Artists *Fashion Design* Thread
I feel like we need a thread strictly for fashion designs by people who are on TFS. It will be a thread to post your designs, get tips, and most importantly GIVE tips.

I want to keep this separate from the fashion illustrations thread so we can focus only on original designs.

The only rule I can think of is you have to GIVE a critique before posting your designs.

Someone please start this off

19-07-2006
scenester

funkykitten, is it the Art School you went to? I'm also in Glasgow so curious as to where you went. I'm considering a career change and I'd love to do fashion, although at 33 I'm perhaps a little old to be a student again!

Mizell, as graphic designer I'm LOVING your site - and I'm a great advocate of tiny, unreadable fonts!!! LOL!!!

19-07-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydog
funkykitten, is it the Art School you went to? I'm also in Glasgow so curious as to where you went. I'm considering a career change and I'd love to do fashion, although at 33 I'm perhaps a little old to be a student again!
Hello DizzyDog! I studied fashion design and production with retail, at North Glasgow College. It was an HND, and I highly recommend it! The college is getting a huge makeover and new building in the next few years, and the fashion tutors are fabulous. There was a mature student last year who did the NQ fashion course, she loved it!! 33 isn't too old to be a student!

20-07-2006
scenester

Thanks for the tip funkykitten, I'll check that out!

21-07-2006
V.I.P.

i mostly do illustrations, but tried a few designs...would like to know peoples thoughts on them;... sorry about the quality, very rushed and coloured on the computer :p

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, aspiring, designers, fashion, lookbook, post, posting, work