How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-01-2009
windowshopping

yeahiiiiiii!!!!!!! made it hahha

Last edited by ropi; 03-01-2009 at 03:05 AM.

03-01-2009
rising star

Hey,
i'm a model but am thinking of starting to design more stuff, haven't got any drawings but have made a pattern and will put up some pics when i've made it....thinking of making a floor length (I am 6ft so it's impossible to buy high street dresses)...pale pink/gold/cream dress out of crepe backed satin....backless with a train....not sure about the front yet...what does anyone think?? Advice please

03-01-2009
Not Thinking About Time

I finished this bag today. My own design I heated and bent plexi glass and glued it together I sanded and polished it it is compleatly seamless around the sides (well one at the bottom but you can bearly tell) I did all the hardwear. I got all the components from a harewear store not your everyday fabric store. My dad did help me figure out the technical stuff like what kindof latch to use and what kinds of bolts to buy. I think it turned out really nice. It is the most industrial thing I have made. Any thoughts?

Portfolio Last FM

04-01-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xing View Post
^^ I'm not sure what goes towards a certain piece of garment, if sewing it a different way or ironing it more will help or even if the piece is constructable. the general comment that i was making was that fashionified's stuff looks great on paper but rather disappointing when they're actually made. I was suggesting that it would probably be better if he made notes or colour in his designs so that he/we get a better idea of how the piece would look like if he created in.

I have no idea how to explain the crisp sharpness because that's the best I can come up with to describe her designs when I'm looking at the drawings she made and it's one of the main features of her designs which I like so much. it's clean, it's fitted, there's great details where it should be and not too many other stuff to clutter the design but when it translates to real life, the clean/fitted nature of it isn't there anymore and the introduction of colour/texture that was previously unavailable from her drawings also shows up in her finished work. some of these added details that (for me) spoilt the whole look.

to be more specific, i refer to #766 .

the first drawing vs the first finished product:
the vest. in the drawing, the vest was clean, simple, well fitted. from her fashion illustration, i can roughly make out that it is supposed to be knitted but compared to the finished product. WHERE DID THE CABLES COME FROM??? WHERE DID THE OPEN WORK COME FROM??? there was no indication of it on her drawings. the vest also looks too big and sloppy on the model. on the same design, the shirt is now striped.

the second drawing vs the second finished product.
the outerwear was the part i liked most in the drawing. it was sharp and well fitted. there were interesting details around the sleeves and shoulders. the collar was also very impressive. compared to the finished product. the finished product lost the sleeve details. fit wise, the shoulder area became more bulky and lost it's sharpness. the collars are now floppy.

erm... do you roughly know what I mean now?
i see what u mean, xing

it's like this design...http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ini2aresie.jpg
when you compare it to the pieces in real life, you see she used velvet for the jacket, but in the drawing it looks like it is something stiff. maybe she could have used denim to create the same effect. you can see the denim pants look the same as in the drawing

another example...
the trousers are very drapey in real life but in the picture it isn't
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ayout1copy.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Nana/robin.jpg

but who knows what kind of factors could have played into this
maybe lack of resources/time.. it is for a gradshow.. i can imagine all that stress and pressure

04-01-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
Hey,
i'm a model but am thinking of starting to design more stuff, haven't got any drawings but have made a pattern and will put up some pics when i've made it....thinking of making a floor length (I am 6ft so it's impossible to buy high street dresses)...pale pink/gold/cream dress out of crepe backed satin....backless with a train....not sure about the front yet...what does anyone think?? Advice please
i recently learnt to make trains. i think they are a nice design element :p are you going to do something with the train or have it look exactly like the rest of the dress? i made a pattern like this in class, it has gathers/pleats all around the top of the train and then 'attached' to the rest of the dress. sounds very Oscars like

& a much welcome to theFashionspot !

Last edited by gius; 04-01-2009 at 02:56 AM.

04-01-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
i recently learnt to make trains. i think they are a nice design element :p are you going to do something with the train or have it look exactly like the rest of the dress? i made a pattern like this in class, it has gathers/pleats all around the top of the train and then 'attached' to the rest of the dress. sounds very Oscars like

& a much welcome to theFashionspot !
Thanks I'll show you all how it turns out.

Not sure yet whether to include it in the main body but I like the sound of what you described, think it would look beautiful if I could manage it...we'll see!

Thank you

07-01-2009
windowshopping

Super pretty. Congrats!

08-01-2009
windowshopping

Sophia the bag is GORGEOUS!!!
The design is so beautiful and the color is amazing. I would kill for a bag like that.
Just sketched an overlapping T dress that I'm thinking of making.. would love to hear what you guys and gals have to say
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00040.JPG (65.8 KB, 6 views)

09-01-2009
windowshopping

Photoshoot from my last collection
I havent been on TFS for such a long time, thought I'd share some pictures from my last collection. I used them in an exhibit/show for the pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n506589519_1105162_3211.jpg (53.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg n506589519_515222_987.jpg (41.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg n506589519_515223_789.jpg (53.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg n506589519_515206_2980.jpg (52.7 KB, 11 views)

09-01-2009
fashion insider

wooow likwidstar those are so nice and artistic you did an amazing job!!!!

11-01-2009
windowshopping

Thank you Aaron

13-01-2009
Looking Up

Here's mine. The drawing itself is not very accurate.

scanned by me

14-01-2009
scenester

Here are some designs of my first collection inspired in Milan's modern architecture.
I hope you can give me any help.. how can I improve them?

14-01-2009
windowshopping

i dont think you can!!
haha they´re great!!

ps: are u spanish??from where ? =)

14-01-2009
windowshopping

did u use photoshop, corel, illustrator...?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, aspiring, designers, fashion, lookbook, post, posting, work