How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-02-2004
tfs star

my opinion is that NOBODY should have to pay for such a thing

25-02-2004
rising star

unfortuantely ( accorind to everyone here) i did and now am SCREWED because i didnt do it right

25-02-2004
tfs star

did u pay a 1000 buckS? but are u in the programm yet? how is it this far?

25-02-2004
rising star

i start sunday.....everyone is telling me that it is a waste of money/time but its something i beleive in....and with all of eveyrones comments i'mlike losing hope that i can ever make my dream a reality.....

25-02-2004
tfs star

you paid the money already so you might aswell enjoy it now!!!!! go for it!

25-02-2004
V.I.P.

If you learn something you can use, it's worth it even if you never model. Take this as a lesson to get information first, then part with cash! And tell us all about it so we have an idea of what you & Barbizon are up to!

rising star

part with cash?? what?

25-02-2004
rising star

Absolutely, Id say go for it! atleast you can make some conections with others in the industry. They do teach you how to walk in shows though as well as proper etiquette ( did i spell that right ) Good Luck!

25-02-2004
I love model_mom!

Since you have already paid them money...you might as well go through. Just don't give them anymore money because they will ask for it. It can't hurt you as long as you or your parents don't keep paying them money. In the meantime, if you are still thinking about modeling, why don't you ask someone to take some polaroids of you and send them to the major agencies. If one of the agencies is interested in you - they will contact you and then you can tell Barbizon - SEE YA!

Like I said above, it won't hurt to attend Barbizon's classes and go through what you paid for. Just be careful and make sure that since you are 14 that your parent or parents play a role in your modeling quest.

Good Luck!

Hoppity Hop

To be perfectly blunt, for someone that isn't model material but insists on doing it anyway, this is the way to go. Certainly much better than ridiculous website agencies (that frankly are just places for non-model material girls to get non-doing-it-for-a-living photographers' hopes up to score). Reason: You're taking the initiative and getting out there, at least.

Good luck to you and if you make it to the Budweiser World of Wheels, Pia and JC Penny mall shows, that's even better. Beyond that, report back to us and say, "I told you so."

Still, the best road in terms of reality is to follow AlmostFamous' post. No sense is shootin' for the NBA if you can't dribble.

26-02-2004
V.I.P.

Okay, since I doubt very much you are going ot try to search through my 1,000+ posts for my modeling advice one..here you go..

Alright, yes. Most top models were discovered. Whether walking down the street, eating McD's, so be it. Either discovered by agents themselves or photographers. I would be extra extra careful with any "photographers" that were to approach you. They may say they are a well known photog, and even use the right name. But, how many well known photographers are known for what they look like? Not ANY! Be careful. Also stay away from any "online agencies". Rediculous concept people. Plain rediculous. I'm not going to elaborate, just stay away.(E Model, Wilhelmina Scouting Network **not to be confused with the actual Wilhelmina Agency, Wish Network, and so on).

Modeling conventions. Okay. Good and bad. Good if you can't travel to NYC or La. But, if you can't travel to nyc or la, you better reconsider this whole modeling thing. Yes, there may be modeling "agencies", in almost every major city in this country. But, whether or not there is a working market, thats a completely different story. REAL MODELING-NYC! Secondary, LA. POINT BLANK PERIOD!!! Chicago-A few catalogues, Miami-Bathing suits, umm thats it. Back to the conventions, waste of money, you PAY to be seen by all these agencies at the same time. Thousands of girls will be there. How do you know that your 30 seconds on the "catwalk", all the possible agencies will be looking at you, and not out the window. Um, exactly.

I do not advise you to walk around the streets of NY or LA waiting for someone to discover you, nor do I want you to waste any money on Modeling Conventions. What I would like you to do is......
get yourself in front of a white wall.
in a bathing suit.
little or no make up please.
no posing.

have you photos/polaroids look like this.

http://modemodels.com/become_a_model...guidelines.htm

Want to know if you really have what it takes? Send these photos into the top ten agencies for Women in NYC. These are the most coveted agencies for a girl to become signed to. If one, or more!, are interested, you have a great chance of working. Although, just because you get signed, does not mean you will work!

If possible!!!!!!! Call alllllll these agencies and find out their open call times. Open call-A mini interview with someone for each of these agencies. If they like you, a possible polaroid will be taken, you may have to walk for the rest of the agents on the board. And maybe even be presented with a contract right on the spot!!! Be sure to bring your photos/polaroids with you! Dress simply. Not too distracting. Make sure what you are wearing shows off your insane body! Little or no make up. And its okay to be nervous! And its okay if they say no! If they ask you to come back in a couple of months, GREAT!!! If you do not get a positive response from ANY of these agencies. You may want to reconsider. You do NOT want to go wasting any money on professional photo tests, portfolios, online portfolios, etc. Its just not realistic.

You should know! These agencies have uber tough requirements.

Females- 5'8+ 34-24-34 ages 16-24 ALWAYS exceptions, but realistically, please.

With your photos you should include your:
First Name
Last Name
Address
Telephone Number
Height
Bust/Waist/Hip Measurements
Eye Color
Hair Color
Best of Luck!!!!!!!!

Top Ten Agencies For Women. Models.com

10 Major
381 Park Avenue South, #1501
New York, NY, 10016
United States
tel: 212 685 1200
fax: 212 683 5200
email: majormodelmgmt@aol.com

9 Karin
6 W 14 Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY , 10011
United States
tel: 646 638 3330
fax:
email: karin@karinmodels.com

8 T Management
91 Fifth Avenue,
New York, NY, 10003
United States
tel: 212-924-7779
fax: 212-645-4940

7 Ford
142 Greene Street,
New York, NY, 10012
United States
tel: 212 219-6500
fax: 212 966-1531
web site: http://fordmodels.com

6. Vision
111 West 17th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY, 10001
United States
tel: 212-414-4323
fax: 212-414-4436

5. New York Models! Woo!! (My agency )
596 Broadway, 7th Floor
New York, NY, 10012
United States
tel: (212) 539 1700
fax:
web site: http://www.newyorkmodels.com/

4. (tied) Marilyn
300 Park Ave South, 2nd floor
New York , NY, 10010
United States
tel: 212-260-6500
fax: 212-260-0821
web site: http://www.marilynagency.com

4. (tied) Elite
111 East 22nd Street,
New York, NY, 10010
United States
tel: 212-529-9800
fax:
web site: http://www.elitemodel.com

3.(tied) 1 Model Mgmt
424 West Broadway, 2nd floor
New York, NY , 10012
United States
tel: 212-431-0054
fax: 212-431-1723
email: info@1modelmanagement.com

3.(tied). NeXt
23 Watts Street, 5th floor
New York, NY, 10013
United States
tel: 212 925 3900
fax: 212 925 3905
web site: http://www.nextmodels.com

2. (tied) Dna
520 Broadway, 11th Floor
New York, NY, 10012
United States
tel: 212 226 0080
fax: 212 226 2566
email: info@dnamodels.com
web site: http://www.dnamodels.com/

2. (tied) Women
199 Lafayette Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY, 10012
United States
Check this Agency's BBB Record
tel: 212-334-7480
fax: 212-334-7492
web site: http://www.womenmanagement.com

1. IMG
304 Park Avenue South, 12th Floor
New York, NY, 10010
United States
Check this Agency's BBB Record
tel: 212 253-8884
fax: 212 253-8883

Edited to add...

Modeling Schools, should NOT be called modeling schools. Ettiquite schools yes. But can you be taught how to be a model, I think NOT! The "modeling" they are teaching you is soo outdated. Everything is soo choreographed. Agencies/Clients now want you to come across as natural in photos and in runway as possible. Agencies steer clear from "models" from Modeling school because they have this distorted view of modeling to begin with.

Will "graduating" from a modeling school get you an agency? No. And I definately wouldn't go bragging around that you WENT to a school like Barbizon. Remember, they'll take anyone that will pay. This shows you nothing about your real modeling potential.

xoxo
tay

26-02-2004
backstage pass

i heard they scam people a lot. try top agencies 1st

26-02-2004
rising star

well for me i think this is the best way to go, because I'm NOT 5'8 and weighing 110 pounds and i dont live in NY or la, but that doesnt mean that its a bad desicion. i'm thinking that i'll maybe get local work and once i get farther in THEN send things out to larger agencies....i see no point in sending photos to those places ( though i do thank u for all that information AlmostFamous) when i kno that i won't be asked because i'm not tall enough or expierenced enough yet. i'm still young and have time...right?

26-02-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by eastsidecouturechic@Feb 26th, 2004 - 4:16 pm
well for me i think this is the best way to go, because I'm NOT 5'8 and weighing 110 pounds and i dont live in NY or la, but that doesnt mean that its a bad desicion. i'm thinking that i'll maybe get local work and once i get farther in THEN send things out to larger agencies....i see no point in sending photos to those places ( though i do thank u for all that information AlmostFamous) when i kno that i won't be asked because i'm not tall enough or expierenced enough yet. i'm still young and have time...right?
If you are not 5'8 then what's the point?

I'm not trying to be rude, but not everyone can be a model. And what local work are you expecting, local mall runway shows.....?? Well, I can gaurentee you, that you will NOT get paid and the work you might get will not make up for all the money you just spent on Barbizon.

Its just not realistic. You are the exact kind of person barbizon targets. They put misleading information in your head. And, please please please, just because you go to a modeling school like Barbizon...it doesn't make you a model.

These "schools" should not be allowed to relate themselves to modeling. Its misleading......

Oh! Top modeling agencies won't sign you because of lack of expirience? Its the complete opposite. And modeling school does not equal expirience. If you are young enough, the REAL modeling agency/management company will get you all the expirience you need. They will teach you how to walk..for free. Photographers on tests and jobs will help you with your posing. There's nothing you will get from going to a modeling school that you will not get from your modeling agency... And when you are with an agency, you can be sure they have faith in your working...in doesn't gaurentee you work, but it says something to get signed in the first place. And the agency will teach you all this, without some bull **** fee.

If you don't believe me. Call 1, 2, 10 of the agencies yourself. They will tell you whether or not being enrolled in a modeling school with help you more than just sending in polaroids..... I bet I know what they'd say..

26-02-2004
rising star

the reason i'm trying even tho i'm not 5'8 is because i dont want to DO runway and look like a anorexic piece of celery ( i kno that not all models are way to skinny but u get my point). there's more to modeling then runway.

and i know it doesnt make me a model ( u actually have to be doing it) but i'm JUST starting....and i think i have a chance at print...i just dont want to runway.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
barbizon