Basics About Production and Factory Manufacturing - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-07-2005
etre soi-meme

good move Twin
thanks for the update

02-09-2005
rising star

factory manufacturing
For those of you that have your own companies and have your clothing manufactured in a factory can you lend some advice?

I am not too sure where to start. On one hand I don't know how to find factories to do what I want and once I do find them I don't know how to ensure they are not taking advantage of me due to my lack of knowledge in the business. Also I am trying to find information on things to do with your patterns to lessen manufacturing costs. At this point all I really know is the obvious: the less fabric the cheaper, the less pieces to sew together the cheaper, the less notions the cheaper. But what I don't know is what type of manufacturing processes are more expensive than others (for example different finishing methods), what sizes of fabric are cheapest to plan your patterns for, what seam allowances are standard for factories, if the methods that are used at home for pockets, zippers, suit pockets, etc, are the same as what are used in the factory or if the pattern needs to be adjusted for factory work, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations of books or have any personal advice to lend me? I am working hard right now to enhance my pattern making skills using the flat pattern method and will soon be working on the business and manufacturing aspect of this. I am serious about pursuing this and plan to have a proper company within 5 years. Any help you can be to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

02-09-2005
loaded and locked

i'm really sorry that i don't have any advice to give, but i think its great you're planning on starting your own business and wish you good luck (don't forget about the quality aspect as well!!)

03-09-2005
backstage pass

Some factories will try to take advantage so if possible get someone in your area from a fashion council or business start-up centre etc. to help from the beginning. They may also have a list of factories and know which one is suitable.

You may need to choose several factories to produce one collection. One will have machinery specializing in stretch knits for example so you will take your jersey items to them. Another may do coats, or shirts, or jeanswear or specialize in difficult fabrics like silk. Not every factory can do everything, and some may be very basic e.g. lockstitch, overlocker and buttonholing machines so they won't be able to cope with anything too complicated (even though they may still want to take on the business!)

It's also wise to choose several factories as this gives you a better chance of having your collection finished on time. Relying on one manufacturer is dangerous.

Your patterns need to be cut from card. All the usual markings need to be on them, and hiplines etc. should be notched, bottoms of darts & pocket positions drilled hung then punched & hung on a hook with any special instructions or working drawing attached. A sample garment can also be included. Try to make things as foolproof as possible for them as mistakes mean more time and are costly! They like things to run smoothly around the factory and patterns that need a bit of tweaking (the way we might do if making something at home, easing in a collar that's a little too big, for instance) won't do in a factory environment.

For a factory, it all comes down to time. If you want a hem that's overlocked and stitched up this will obviously be cheaper than finished with bias-binding then blind hemmed...overlocked seams as opposed to French seams, 5 pockets instead of 2. It's ultimately up to you. You are the customer, and if you are intending on having it manufactured locally, many factories will be very helpful....it's not a great time for them at the moment and they are learning to appreciate business!

Being able to cut your own patterns and make your own samples will mean you know what you're talking about when telling the manufacturers what you want, decreasing your chances of being taken advantage of

Sorry if this is all a jumble. I will try to reply later with some more stuff!

03-09-2005
rising star

stilista this was all great information, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I live in Winnipeg, MB and we have the 3rd largest textiles industry in Canada, it's one of our biggest employment sectors, so we have a good apparel organization here and I am trying to get in touch with them to see if they have any kind of mentoring program.

I just got a bit confused with what you said about the pattern, what things need to be marked, what need to be notched, and what need to be punched so when you've got some time some further explanation there would be great.

Thanks again for all this info!

28-10-2005
windowshopping

Responsibilities as a Production at Design House?
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could ask your expert opinion/knowledge of the fashion industry. Im a relative newbie - all I know is what goes on in buying. I noticed that there are a lot of jobs in production out there. What are the typical responsibiltiies of someone working production? Is there room for growth?

Thanks for all your input!

17-03-2006
scenester

Their job is to source where the garments will be made, negotiate prices, and make sure everything runs on schedule. They run the business side of the fashion industry. Usually, the people who own fashion companies have a production background, so it probably offers more growth than even a design career.

07-06-2006
windowshopping

How do i mass produce samples?
I HAVE DISIGNING FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS NOW, BUT NOT FOR MY SELF ALLWAYS FOR OTHER PEOPLE , I AM FINALLY GOING TO HEVE MY OWN FASHION SHOW IN LATE JULY TO PROVE I HAVE TALENT BUT I AM LACKING A BIT OF INFO I HAVE TRIED TO DO MY HOME WORK BUT THIS INDUSTRY IS HARD SO I AM LOOKING FOR HELP WHAT SHOUL I DO AFTER THE FASHION SHOW IF PEOPLE ARE INTRESTED IN MY DESIGNS? CAN ANY ONE HELP HOW DO I MASS PRODUCE. HHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!

Last edited by Bertha; 07-06-2006 at 09:34 PM.
07-06-2006
windowshopping

?nook]pojm
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

07-06-2006
V.I.P.

welcome to tfs, bertha!

i moved your thread to the appropriate forum (and renamed it), you might get more of a response that way..i'll make sure to let our industry savvy mods knows about your cry for help, some of them might have info for you..

as for my guess..i think you have to find where to produce your garments first..
- offshore or domestically?
- is your knitwear going to be produced in a different place than your woven garments?
- who is going to grade your patterns?
- and finally...do you have a showroom space to display your samples for potential buyers?

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
08-06-2006
etre soi-meme

merged with existing thread..

bertha, there is no way one can 'mass produce' samples, you wont need more than three 'copies' from each prototype sample..

all questions pastry posted make sense if you need specific replies

08-06-2006
windowshopping

I am trying to learn as much as i can about the business i made my own paters to the best of my knolwedge and i made the items i am going to present in the fashion show and thats all my problem is i am the only working person in thehouse now so what ever is left after paying the bills i use that money towards this line i am trying to start i know that is not much but i have to try so i don't know if i can afford a show room, i did not know i need more than one sample i acept any advice that is given.......

08-06-2006
windowshopping

Thank you for all your help half of these thin are new to me i am basically looking for a place in ny to mass produce because i am in connecticut but i need some cheep i hve not alot of monet to work with

09-06-2006
rising star

do you mean you want mass produce your design? i know some manufacture they take order starting from 100-200 with decent price and quality, if this is what you are looking for, pm me!

23-04-2011
windowshopping

I am looking for some help. I am a little confused as to the whole manufacturing portion of fashion. I am looking to start my line, and need some samples made. I don't know how to tell the 'fake" manufacturers from legite ones? Also, about how much does it cost to make a sample, provided that my designs are rather simple and using basic materials?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
basics, factory, manufacturing, production