How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-04-2006
windowshopping

Thanks for welcoming Lena.

17-04-2006
V.I.P.

Yea i guess i have all those! Hey i got accepted into University of Illinois Business Program! YAAAAAAY!

17-04-2006
etre soi-meme

hey, congrats jj, way to go

18-04-2006
windowshopping

Congratulation!, JJohnson.

18-04-2006
V.I.P.

thx i went to visit yesterday and its really nice. I was talking to the orientation lady who got the same degree im getting, she said that she has friends who worked in the company like Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, and they moved up to be buyers or high. I need to get a job there now weeeeeee

18-04-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

I've never heard of this buying program at York....either way, that always aggravates me about cdn universities.....it's a lot more black and white with them....

18-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
I've never heard of this buying program at York....either way, that always aggravates me about cdn universities.....it's a lot more black and white with them....
What do u mean? what is cdn univeristies? By black and white u mean old style?

19-04-2006
V.I.P.

I wonder if my college has retailing in it....i sure hope so

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

if someone had a MBA in business from a top school would they still be a associate buyer or would they become a full buyer almost right away?

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

What is the chain of command within a company for buyers associate buyers...etc?

25-04-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
if someone had a MBA in business from a top school would they still be a associate buyer or would they become a full buyer almost right away?
you never start up as a 'full buyer' JJ, too much money depends on buyers, everyone starts by assisting the assistant of the associate buyer, no matter which school you come out from

being a buyer is very serious business, so much money at risk

25-04-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

no by black and white I mean they don't see very much middle ground, ie. grey. A lot of times with cdn uni's it's soley based on marks which I don't find to be fair. Seriously jj this is a business where you need to start at the bottom and work upwards. Obviously having a degree helps where you may enter the chain of command but you'll need to work your *** off for years, possibly at a company you don't like, possibly buying items you don't like, and it will take a while before you make any sort of big money. Jobs at the top are few and far between, esp. in regards to high end fashion.

25-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
you never start up as a 'full buyer' JJ, too much money depends on buyers, everyone starts by assisting the assistant of the associate buyer, no matter which school you come out from

being a buyer is very serious business, so much money at risk
oh goodie, so if i get a degree at harvard im still a assistance to an asistance to an assistant? blah! well...at least i wanted to start as an associate buyer...

25-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
no by black and white I mean they don't see very much middle ground, ie. grey. A lot of times with cdn uni's it's soley based on marks which I don't find to be fair. Seriously jj this is a business where you need to start at the bottom and work upwards. Obviously having a degree helps where you may enter the chain of command but you'll need to work your *** off for years, possibly at a company you don't like, possibly buying items you don't like, and it will take a while before you make any sort of big money. Jobs at the top are few and far between, esp. in regards to high end fashion.
Oh thx....

25-04-2006
backstage pass

I just took the neiman's tests (4-step) and I completed.
They said they will contact me in 2 weeks:p

The math test was not hard but time constraint is a big deal. For those who want to do this seriously, take the test in a place with no distrations

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyer