How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-11-2005
windowshopping

I am interested in getting a buyers position/ merchandising/ corporate purchasing. Can you please tell me what type of work experience is needed. Are there any job boards out there that I can use to search for jobs within the fashion industry. I just moved to Atlanta, GA from Canada so I don't have any connection in the US. I have a Masters in Business Adminitration never worked in the fashion industry I have been working in banking so this is a career change. Finally do u think I need to take a fashion program my dream is to be a corporate purchaser/ buyer but withing the fahion industry

07-12-2005
trendsetter

Here is some info that should help you gals out. I would like to get into buying, but right now Im in the medical field...so its like starting all over again. I dont have any retail experience as of yet.

Neimans and Saks have "executive development programs" that groom people to become buyers. If you get into the program, its 12 weeks long, and then you start out as an assistant buyer, and work your way up.

Click on the 2nd link "what our associates have to say" and it has several people who started out in the program and made it up the ladder to Buyer and even higher. They tell their stories of how they succeeded in the program, its pretty informative. Good luck.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/si...eers/edp.jhtml

07-12-2005
etre soi-meme

thanks for bringing this in DP.

11-12-2005
windowshopping

does anyone have any info about how to get into one of these programs in new york? I've applied to macy's and bloomingdales, but no luck. I'm wondering if living out of state has something to with it.

Meg
inspired contemplation

^
yes I would assume that one would have to be legally able to work in the states without their help for them to choose you

12-12-2005
flaunt the imperfection

just an fyi...
i happened to be talking to someone who is in the saks training program a day ago and according to him the training program is 9 months...

12-12-2005
Storm & Sommer

Does Selfridges, Harvey Nic or Harrods have anything similar I wonder ?

12-12-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

9 months would make more sense....12 weeks seems awfully short.

They prob. do Hanne....I know Marks and Spencers and Matalan and a lot of the really big market holders of mid-range price offer training programs which are meant to be fantastic....

12-12-2005
flaunt the imperfection

the neiman marcus link above does say 12 weeks...
i just think it's different at every company...
there is no standard...

12-12-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

yes yes softgrey I know....I was just saying I think for really good training that 9 months is a better time period than three.

12-12-2005
catch me if you can

My sister was a buyer for Nordstrom, it took her about 4 years to get promoted to that position. She went to a lot of fashion shows, and NY/LA market to do her buying for the department she bought for. It is not all glamour and going to fashion shows from what I have seen. It does vary when it comes to who gets the job;some companies can send people through training in weeks/months and others only promote from within b/c the people know the company in and out. It just depends on the corporate structure.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
yes yes softgrey I know....I was just saying I think for really good training that 9 months is a better time period than three.

Thats a moot point. It depends on the structure of the program. Its not like you go straight from the program into a buyer position. Like iLoveCouture just stated, it took her sister 4 years. Its a continuous process. For Neimans, you relocate to Dallas.....then you relocate again for the position of "assistant buyer". And from the sounds of it, you don't have much choice as to where you get placed. Its not a short process.

Not to mention, the job application process at Neimans and Saks is completely different as well.

20-12-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

it's going to take years regardless...I just think to get proper training on the basics....three months is hardly any time.

20-12-2005
V.I.P.

as a general rule, a buyer needs at least 2-3 seasons to get a good insight in how her buying is being perceived by the customers... what is selling , what is not, etc etc....
as meg said, in 3 months the collection one buyer has bought hasnt hit the store yet so its highly unlikely to get such short training...

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
24-12-2005
windowshopping

Buyer?
how exactly does one become a buyer, for a chain like barney's or nordstrams or something? do you just fall into it or what, and does anyone have experience or insight about his career?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyer