How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2008
windowshopping

Does anyone know how someone like Colette Garnsey started off before she elevated herself into an executive role? This is the type of job I would be interested in pursuing sometime down the road, but while the article is very informative as to what Colette does TODAY, it doesn't talk about how Colette actually got to where she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicciolina View Post
This piece might be interesting.
It's a 'Day in the Life' of Colette Garnsey who's the head buyer for apparel, cosmetics and accessories at David Jones (Australian department store - sort of like Saks/Bloomingdales).

http://www.notebookmagazine.com/comm...tail-executive.

21-07-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_synp View Post
Hi everyone,

I am really interested in becoming a buyer myself later on. Could someone tell me where shall I look for fashion buyer intern/work placement in London UK?

Many Thanks.
Send your CV out to every single brand you can think of. I think starting with commercial buying may be more 'reachable' as those sort of brands are always looking for interns... and also make sure your CV is appropriate for who you're sending it to.

I've been freelancing as a designer since graduating last year but for a couple of months now have been missing doing it full-time so I've been applying for both DESIGN jobs and internships (as they usually end up being full-time jobs) ... I did a mass CV send out a few weeks ago to brands that I liked, and a few days ago I got a phonecall to do an internship as a BUYER at a major multiple brand. I was a bit shocked as I've always been the super-creative type and my cover letter specifically asked for a design position. Anyway, I made sure my shock wasn't so obvious on the phone and accepted it straight away, they didn't even want me to go in for an interview as they said they were happy with the experience stated on my CV... I accepted it because I have always been curious about the Buying side of Fashion and I had nothing to lose..in fact, I am curious about all fields of Fashion. I mean, people who know me have said I would find Buying incredibly boring and that I will hate it.

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous, especially as they haven't even met me yet! I'm so excited too though and have read this entire thread (which was really great) and also brushing up on my Excel skills, it would be hilarious for me and people who know me if I ended up loving it and wanting to pursue it! I start tomorrow!

Also, I just thought I'd quickly add, I did a degree in Fashion Design and had a few lessons with a Topshop-buyer-turned-University-Lecturer and she told me that graduates who do a Fashion Design degree are more desirable to become a Fashion Buyer than graduates who do a Fashion Buying & Merchandising degree. I never forget that because I thought it was really quite strange!.. but she said Fashion Design graduates have better knowledge about Fashion than the Fashion Buying students.

Last edited by decadentdiamond; 21-07-2008 at 01:44 PM.
21-07-2008
rising star

Oh my god, I had no idea I typed so much... well done if you manage to read it all!

20-08-2008
scenester

Becoming a Buyer?
I did a search but didn't find anything on this topic.

My main career goals are to either work in fashion pr or buying, preferably buying. I feel like I have a decent amount of experience....not a ton, about 2 years, but I never seem to have any luck when I submitt my resume for positions. Does anyone have any good ways to find buying positions? I am based out of LA but wouldnt have a problem moving to NY. Lately the positions I've found have been assistant/associate buyer for larger corporations like Saks, Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales. All of them didn't require a ton of experience....usually about 2-3 years or so (which I have), but no such luck on my end. I'm running out of options it seems and I don't know where else to look.

21-08-2008
front row

Have you tried looking on some of the other fashion job sites like stylecareers.com and fashioncareers.com? And also some dept stores have buyer training programs.

21-08-2008
fashion icon

Hi heyitsme, welcome to tFS

Here is the main thread on buying:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...yers-4943.html

Have a look at the whole thread, there's lots of advice in there

I'll merge this thread to that one soon too.

22-08-2008
scenester

Has anyone here done the Neiman Marcus executive development program? Or at least been granted an interview?

I took the online test a year ago and passed, but was never called for an interview. I am trying to find out why and pinpoint the weaknesses in my resume so I can apply again here soon.

I feel that my resume is actually pretty good, so I'm not 100% sure what they are looking for. I graduated college in 2006 from a top university with a BA in business administration and psychology. I have work experience in both finance (for those analytical skills) and also at a top pr firm in west hollywood for 2 years. While at the pr firm I got the chance to work with a lot of top designers and even with some of their buying deparments. I also got the chance to work as an assistant stylist for different celebrities for photo shoots and live red carpet events. Sooo, I'm a bit confused haha.

Any help/insight would be great!

25-08-2008
front row

I'm going to have completed my business studies degree in about 2/3 years, and then I want to get into either fashion buying or merchandising (leaning towards buying at the moment) and i know of a few companies who would accept me with just the business degree (I even applied to them a few months back and they wanted to interview me even though I don't have a degree yet, but because I have fashion retail and loads of admin experience and I am passionate about what I want to do, and determined to get there!) BUT my question is: would getting a postgrad MA/similar in fashion buying and merchandising make me more "employable" and "knowledgeable" and just more desirable to fashion head offices? I want to do a postgrad but I've looked into it, it would mean a year off work (I can't do this) unless I could get a part time one, and 3,000 in fees! Is it worth it? Do I need a postgrad in a fashion subject to get a job as a buyer/merchandiser? or is the business degree sufficient?

06-09-2008
rising star

Aimeeeee - my own personal feeling is that the postgrad would not be worth it in your case. And I've just done one! Are you still studying for your undergrad? If you are, could you try and arrange work experience for your holidays? I've done George at Asda, who were great, and a friend has done Topshop - so that's at least two you could do for a week or so, which will look good on your C.V. Other than that, keep up with any fashion retail experience you can get - it's nice to be able to prove you have a love of fashion. Your business degree is exactly the sort of degree most retailers are looking for, for head office positions, if you can supplement that with work experience you'll be golden!

I've spent 3,000 on a postgrad and whilst I enjoyed it and learnt a lot, I now feel I could've used that 3,000 to take time off work and support myself whilst I did work experience, and that would have been more valuable.

rising star

just out of curiousity, do you guys think a grad with a degree in fashion management will be preferred over a degree in business management in general? i've recently worked at a local office of a well-known international fashion label during my school holiday, and most of my colleagues seem to hold qualifications in non-fashion related fields. i'm a fashion management major and is interested in becoming a buyer after i grad.

windowshopping

Help! Which School Should I go to for Fashion Purchasing
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm deciding a career change and i'm looking to get into Fashion Buying. I have researched some colleges in Ontario (specifically Toronto) who have Fashion Management courses and was wondering if anyone can tell me which is a better college to go to: George Brown, Humber or Seneca? I'm trying to apply for next year September as a mature student but just wanted some feedback as to any graduates or people who are in that program currently and how they like, dislike, etc.

08-10-2008
fashion icon

This job ad for Intermix from freefashioninternships.com (a great resource for mainly fashion related internships as well as some jobs) is really useful for understanding what is required for an Assistant Buyer:

Key accountabilities:
- Provide operational and administrative support to the buyer
- Support the buyer with development of the merchandise strategy and assist with product selection
- Ensure timely delivery of merchandise through consistent communication with the vendors, distribution center, and buying team
- Manage timely entry and maintenance of purchase orders and assists buyer with writing orders
- Complete business recaps with buyer direction
- Participate in markdown and allocation strategies
- Understand the competition and customer by market
- Prepare information for line reviews
- Suggest ideas for new vendors each season
- Communicate to stores using the appropriate communication channels
- Contribute to positive morale in the department and organization

Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in business or fashion related discipline
- 1-2 years of Assistant Buying experience in a multi-vendor or luxury brand environment
- Strong analytical ability and retail math acumen
- Keen fashion sense and trend forecasting ability
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong PC, organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and maintain attention to detail
email your resume to careers@intermixonline.com

09-10-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee_Dot_Gyal View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm deciding a career change and i'm looking to get into Fashion Buying. I have researched some colleges in Ontario (specifically Toronto) who have Fashion Management courses and was wondering if anyone can tell me which is a better college to go to: George Brown, Humber or Seneca? I'm trying to apply for next year September as a mature student but just wanted some feedback as to any graduates or people who are in that program currently and how they like, dislike, etc.
I'm sure each program has its own unique strengths, and perhaps specialize in something specific the other does not. From those 3, from what I have heard, George Brown is a very reputable school where you learn a lot and also get a lot of hands on experience.
Ryerson also offers Retail Management which would be a good alternative because you could obtain a degree, and still get into buying and have something solid to fall back on.

09-10-2008
windowshopping

Thanks Pout 306

I'm right now working for an insurance company and am looking for a total career change. I know seneca has specifically a fashion business program for buying in general. I don't know if i saw one for George Brown either, but i'm trying to find a program that isnt too long in length, say about 2 years... do you know by any chance if that program is related to fashion design or the business aspect of it? I would go to Ryerson for it, but just the amount of years i would do it in plus i would consider of doing it part time, it would take me eons to get that done! Do you know any recent graduates from any of those programs??? I would love to get some feedback from them!

16-10-2008
windowshopping

From my experiences with meeting buyers (I am a sales rep) there are only so many buyers; most of the time they start as merchandise intern (mainly opening packages and hanging garments on hangers) then a buyer assistant for a long while. There are only so many senior buyers and merchandise directors; and I've found most of them end up working lawyer hours.
Also another thing I noticed is that many of the senior buyers come from the CEO/founder's family; which is kind of odd but understandable.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyer