How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-12-2008
backstage pass

Do buyers get free stuff like magazine editors???

11-12-2008
backstage pass

what would you wear for an interview for a buyer position? Stick with a suit or be a little more fashion forward?

11-12-2008
backstage pass

I would wear a suit. That's so exciting! Where are u interviewing? that's my dream job!!! If u don't mind me asking, what type of fashion experience/ background do u have?

15-01-2009
windowshopping

Hi everyone, it's my first post, I'm really excited about digging into the vast resources this site has to offer. Like many of you, I'm interested in becoming a buyer (dept store or boutique) or merchandiser (Gap or similar.) I have an accounting degree (and my CPA), plus 5 years work experience- analytical, international, project management for pretty high dollar projects. I'm considering the Parsons AAS in Fashion Marketing to get industry connections, internships, etc. But after reading this post, I'm surprised about how much people talk up the math/accounting. I may just start applying for some things right now to test the waters. Could anybody give some input on this- would an accountant benefit from an additional degree, or should I just keep applying until I get my foot in the door and work up from there?

23-01-2009
scenester

I would one day love to become a buyer. I'm going back to school (for my masters at the academy of art university - fashion merchandising) and after graduation hope to land a spot as a buyer for a major department store.

Problem is...I currently work for Nordstrom and all of their buyers became such just by moving up the chain within Nordstrom. They do a lot of promoting within and I feel this is how most department stores attain their buyers. I wouldn't mind doing that except you first have to become a department manager and I absolutely don't want to do that....plus it's extremely cut throat to get to that position. I understand why they do it that way, but I feel being a manager within retail and being a buyer are totally seperate fields. Well, I shouldn't say totally seperate...they all relate in some way...but a manager is just a whole different ball park it seems.

Anyone know if this is how most major department stores work?

26-01-2009
windowshopping

For what it's worth from somebody who is not yet in the industry, I've seen external postings for buyer positions and exec training programs for other stores, although at this time some aren't hiring. (Federated, Saks, etc.) So I think other stores are more open than Nordstrom. Is it a real formal obligation to work as a department manager, or is it just the most common path? Given that you already have experience with Nordstrom and an extra degree on your side, perhaps you could build up a relationship with HR, set up informational interviews with current assistant buyers, etc. to get your name and face out there.

front row

This information is extremely helpful-- I'd like to be a merchandiser or a buyer and this whole thread has opened my mind completely. Thank you all so much!

fashion icon

this thread is just what i was looking for...

windowshopping

I have an interview next week for an assistant buyer position!!! for a major aus retailer so excited and nervous!

18-05-2009
backstage pass

^Good luck!!!

fashion icon

Good luck priss! Which company is this with?

20-05-2009
tfs star

Good luck Priss. Let us know how it goes!

windowshopping

its for one of the big retailers.. dont wanna say who

28-05-2009
windowshopping

does anyone know much about david jones merchanise planner/trainee buyer program they have on their website.. it says invitiations only which means mainly Dj employee's but i just wondered if anyone has done it or knows a bit about it.. i think it is 12-18months than you come out as an assistant buyer or planner..

03-06-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_princess View Post
Do buyers get free stuff like magazine editors???

It depends. I believe some do and some don't. My aunt's friend used to be a buyer for the shoe dept in a department store (I'm not sure if she still is) and to her convenience the display size that the store used was the same size she wore so she got to keep shoes if the display pair didn't sell, I'm not sure if she had to wait until the end of the season or how many she got per season or anything but I was so jealous!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyer