How to Join
05-10-2013
  406
tfs star
 
*k.a.t.e*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,884
I think I posted in this thread (albeit a long long time ago). I graduated University this year with a degree in International Business and I'm now 7 weeks into my first buying job as a men's footwear buyer!

__________________
Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. (Steve Jobs)
  Reply With Quote
 
05-10-2013
  407
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Palm Springs
Gender: femme
Posts: 21,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by *k.a.t.e* View Post
I think I posted in this thread (albeit a long long time ago). I graduated University this year with a degree in International Business and I'm now 7 weeks into my first buying job as a men's footwear buyer!
It's really nice to see a tFSer begin their chosen career!

Just to give other aspiring buyers am idea of what to expect, can you tell us what sort it duties do you have? And what do you like about the job and what is your least favorite part?

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
03-11-2014
  408
V.I.P.
 
Sweet rus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York
Gender: femme
Posts: 19,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceras View Post
Also, I believe one of the colleges that I'm looking at has a prerequisite of 2 years of math- it was either FIT or LIM.
Just wanted to stop by to say how happy I am I have found this thread one day and discovered LIM College where I am currently working on obtaining my Master degree to become a fashion buyer
Can not wait to find an internship next year after struggling for so many years working in the areas I was not interested in and finally do what I am passionate about


Last edited by Sweet rus; 03-11-2014 at 11:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
06-11-2014
  409
at the irish pub
 
larien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Istanbul
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,465
I work as an assistant buyer at a company who works in promotional goods field but i want to switch to fashion/retail sector. How do you think i can direct my carrer to that point?

  Reply With Quote
13-11-2014
  410
windowshopping
 
The Style Weaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Gender: femme
Posts: 11
I am currently a Buyer and one thing I can say is you don't necessarily need to go to fashion school to gain entry into the business. I went to school for business management and got a job in New York out of college working as an assistant buyer. I am currently buying in Miami and although getting a fashion education can be great I have learned more being on the job than any class could ever teach me. If you already have your bachelors I'd strongly recommend to just start applying ands your network or build a network of people to get you in the door for interviews.

  Reply With Quote
14-11-2014
  411
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Palm Springs
Gender: femme
Posts: 21,509
Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Style Weaver!

Thanks for sharing .... it's always great when someone in the actual job can offer their opinions ans share their experiences.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
14-11-2014
  412
backstage pass
 
AtticusFinch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Gender: femme
Posts: 627
SUBSCRIBING!
I want to become a buyer too. I study Finance so I am hoping that helps.

  Reply With Quote
10-07-2015
  413
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 6
I had change of plans and I want to move forward with being a buyer. I graduated with a history degree and I was wondering if I just work as a sales associate, would I be able to move up to a assistant buyer. I did a lot of research and I notice that there are assistant buyers who's majors that were not business or fashion. I just need advice because this job is what I really want to do.

  Reply With Quote
11-07-2015
  414
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Palm Springs
Gender: femme
Posts: 21,509
I think that you might be able to become an assistant buyer for a small shop or a small chain of stores, by working in sales first ... if they think you have the business mind to do this kind of work and an opening comes up. And that ... might allow you to move up in that store if they lost their buyer. But in small stores the owner is usually the buyer ... so I'm not sure that you would actually ever "move up". But ... it also might give you some "chops" to eventually work under a buyer for a large store ... if that is your goal.

There's no guarantees ... you never know where any job will take you. Usually, it's a surprise. It really depends on having the right skills and being in the right place a the right time.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
12-07-2015
  415
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I think that you might be able to become an assistant buyer for a small shop or a small chain of stores, by working in sales first ... if they think you have the business mind to do this kind of work and an opening comes up. And that ... might allow you to move up in that store if they lost their buyer. But in small stores the owner is usually the buyer ... so I'm not sure that you would actually ever "move up". But ... it also might give you some "chops" to eventually work under a buyer for a large store ... if that is your goal.

There's no guarantees ... you never know where any job will take you. Usually, it's a surprise. It really depends on having the right skills and being in the right place a the right time.
Thank you so much you gave really helpful advices I think that I will apply to small boutiques where I live and hopefully move up and build my experiences.

  Reply With Quote
13-09-2015
  416
fashion elite
 
models_vlada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chile
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,665
I tried getting an assistant buying or assistant merchandiser position in New York and I failed miserably, the level of competitions for this entry-level positions is incredibly high and I would say you definitely need some networking or contacts to get your feet on an interview, especially for big high end retailers. Assistant buying is not even an entry level position since most retailers ask you for a few years of experience. And I would say most people who get those entry level spots come from the best universities in the States.

I got recommended by a recruiter that the best way to land in one of those jobs is to start doing Consulting first and then do the change to Fashion. Do guys think it is really like this ? Or not really ? Is it really respected at the point you can land in an Assistant Buying position ? It just feels that I was in New York, practically everyone wanted to land a job in the Fashion industry.

__________________
Julia Bergshoeff - Natasha Poly - Sasha Luss - Anna Ewers - Vlada Roslyakova - Josephine Le Tutour
  Reply With Quote
15-09-2015
  417
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: St Helier, Jersey, CI
Gender: homme
Posts: 1
anybody can describe how is look interview, what kind of question? etc.

  Reply With Quote
16-09-2015
  418
V.I.P.
 
Sweet rus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York
Gender: femme
Posts: 19,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by models_vlada View Post
I tried getting an assistant buying or assistant merchandiser position in New York and I failed miserably, the level of competitions for this entry-level positions is incredibly high and I would say you definitely need some networking or contacts to get your feet on an interview, especially for big high end retailers. Assistant buying is not even an entry level position since most retailers ask you for a few years of experience. And I would say most people who get those entry level spots come from the best universities in the States.

I got recommended by a recruiter that the best way to land in one of those jobs is to start doing Consulting first and then do the change to Fashion. Do guys think it is really like this ? Or not really ? Is it really respected at the point you can land in an Assistant Buying position ? It just feels that I was in New York, practically everyone wanted to land a job in the Fashion industry.
I know, the competition is enormous, and you get to have an experience even for an assistant position. I have been looking for a job for 3 weeks or so, applied for tons of positions and do not get that many interviews so far, even though I do have a Master's degree in the right area from a NY college now, a background in economics, a few years of experience, recent internship in a famous fashion company and another cool project for another very respected company. One gets to push harder I guess: more networking, more linkedin, more cold emails, recruiting agencies, career fairs, you never know what might help.

What do you mean by consulting? Financial consulting, fashion consulting?

  Reply With Quote
16-09-2015
  419
fashion elite
 
models_vlada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chile
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet rus View Post
I know, the competition is enormous, and you get to have an experience even for an assistant position. I have been looking for a job for 3 weeks or so, applied for tons of positions and do not get that many interviews so far, even though I do have a Master's degree in the right area from a NY college now, a background in economics, a few years of experience, recent internship in a famous fashion company and another cool project for another very respected company. One gets to push harder I guess: more networking, more linkedin, more cold emails, recruiting agencies, career fairs, you never know what might help.

What do you mean by consulting? Financial consulting, fashion consulting?
Thank god, someone's in the same position I was a few months ago in New York, plus I needed a visa which I guess put the companies off to my resumes, by the way I meant financial consulting. Good luck with your jobs search

__________________
Julia Bergshoeff - Natasha Poly - Sasha Luss - Anna Ewers - Vlada Roslyakova - Josephine Le Tutour
  Reply With Quote
22-10-2015
  420
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 6
Is it really necessary to go to fashion school to be a buyer? My friend works as a assistant buyer at Jcrew and she told me most of the buyers there and Madewell have a BA in all sorts of majors such as religion studies, sociology or media studies.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyer
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2016 All rights reserved.