How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-04-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
Any idea ppl?
Honestly, it's very difficult. Opening a retail shop (of whatever kind) is considered the second riskiest business venture around (behind bar/restaurant). For that reason most investors are verrrry leery of investing and banks are unlikely to extend a loan. If you have a stellar bus. plan, personal/family backing and all of your contacts set up, it's possible that a bank will offer you an SBA-backed loan (sm. bus. admin. -- gov't agency). If you do not have sufficient collateral (house, etc.) chances are slim that you can a loan period.

Even if you can pull off all of the above, I highly recommend you start your store somewhere less expensive than Mich. Ave. That rent is so high that there is no room for error & that could kill a start-up. Look in up-and-coming areas with lower rent and once your business model has proven successful, then you can move it or open a second location in the Mich. Ave/Oak st. area.

The uber-successful boutiques in NY (Intermix, Kirna Zabete, etc.) I really think have been backed by a ton of family $ or inheritance, etc. Also they have tremendous contacts in the fashion world; PR, etc. to get their shops & product in the mags, etc. Very few people have that.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but you need to go into it with your eyes open. Good luck!

02-04-2006
V.I.P.

OK thx a lot! That was very helpful

09-04-2006
rising star

This is an excellent thread. I have been interested in becoming a buyer for several years, but info is surprisingly hard to find.

see me at myspace http://www.myspace.com/23845095

09-04-2006
V.I.P.

Im going to go to school to be one

09-04-2006
etre soi-meme

way to go JJ

09-04-2006
V.I.P.

Thx lol i hope i can work with barneys, but in the meantime how long does it take to become a full blown buyer? I know many buyers dont really know the industry until they get into it or they went to a fashion college.....hmmm i plan on getting a MBA though

09-04-2006
etre soi-meme

no fixed time for being a fulltime buyer, ats up to the individual and how well he/she manages assisting , but a minimum of 2-3 years should be needed

10-04-2006
V.I.P.

wow thats a long time...ugh i hope i get right into barneys or something. BTW this may sound a little silly, but does buyers from barneys or whatever get front row? Lena have u ever got front row? What determines front row? I wanna have front row for the best view

10-04-2006
etre soi-meme

yes, buyers can get front row but it will be only THE head buyers not the assistants or the 'by depeartment' buyers.. imagine how many buyers flock Paris for the collections, there are not enough front row seats to please them all..
i seriously hope you are not getting into this just for the front row JJ

btw, most senior buyers even snob the shows, they much prefer to work in privacy at the showrooms

as for me, yes, i've been front row but that was always at those 'lesser known' shows which actually interest me more.

10-04-2006
rising star

what do buyers do exactly and can they work fro designers too not jsut fro companies like saks,neiman,etcc..?

10-04-2006
etre soi-meme

they dont work for designers, they work for stores and boutiques

10-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
yes, buyers can get front row but it will be only THE head buyers not the assistants or the 'by depeartment' buyers.. imagine how many buyers flock Paris for the collections, there are not enough front row seats to please them all..
i seriously hope you are not getting into this just for the front row JJ

btw, most senior buyers even snob the shows, they much prefer to work in privacy at the showrooms

as for me, yes, i've been front row but that was always at those 'lesser known' shows which actually interest me more.
Oh nooeee! Im not being a buyer for front row i was just asking LMAO that would be kinda silly to go to college and like fashion just for "front row." I REALLY REALLY love fashion to death ahah and i feel i will be really happy doing just that. Do the assistants even get to go to the shows btw? I think i may be an assistant, but i will be soo good they might promote me rigght away LMAO im too ambitious! I prefer all desigers new and old. The newer ones tend to be more interesting because they may be the ones to take over a previous existing line. I would love to go to the Balenciaga show or the Tao show. But overall it seems like a cool job. Regarding the buyers working for the designers, i thought that there were buyers for designers...take chanel for instance. There were 2000+ ppl at the SS collection show and all of those ppl are buyers/press? that was a lot of ppl...but i thought mainly that buyers for the company chose what goes into the stores...like i doubt a store would sell a fur coat in Hawaii constantly because its so hot. U know what i mean? Is it a buyer who decides which pieces goes where from a collection, because here in chicago not all the high end boutiques get the whole collectoin. Actually were like the last ppl lol NYC and LA get priority...plz respond back Lena

11-04-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

People at a show can range from press (covers everything from journalists and editors to photogs) to clients, showroom staff to buyers to people who have invites and are in standing room only. Really it's just a large mix of people from different areas in the fashion industry (or not even). It is up to the buyer of a store to decide what items they feel suit their clients. A store in hawaii may buy a fur coat because they have a high end clientele that travels a lot or a customer may request it. The tastes of customers vary from store to store to city to city. It depends who you are catering for as to what parts of a collection you feel are worth bringing in. I'm sure Lena can provide more info on this, but this just some food for thought

11-04-2006
V.I.P.

i c...but i was really wondering who it really was who decided what clientel is who when its within a company such as Louis Vuitton. There are many boutiques, but who chooses what items go where in the company? Is it someone with buying ability or does the manager of the store choose what will sell or not?

11-04-2006
etre soi-meme

it's the owners of the stores together with buyers who choose what items they need, the manufacturing company has nothing to do with what the clients will order, their work ends with presenting the collection and hoping it will sell well to the buyers

(is that replying your question JJ?)

about the shows, just what meg said, 2000 people is small number in a mega show like ysl or Dior ..imagine those people travel from all over the globe, so many boutiques and journalists are even left outside.. Paris is sizzzzling during the shows
no wonder some people prefer the showrooms to the shows, too much trouble for a 15 minute 'event'

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyer