How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-09-2010
scenester

Best affordable camera for streetstyle photos?
My (ex)-fiance and I separated earlier this week. This means that I no longer have access to his Canon Rebel XSI. I need to purchase a new camera but I have no idea where to begin. Yvan Rodic (Face Hunter) uses a canon PowerShot G11 so I was evaluating purchasing that. I want to stay under $600... I'd love to hear more from photographers about what I should be looking for in a camera etc. I'm still learning all this stuff!

10-09-2010
windowshopping

If you don't feel the need to get Nikon or Canon, consider the Pentax K-x. I'm personally a fan of the stormtrooper white version...

11-09-2010
scenester

I just have no idea what specs I should be evaluating. I know this is why people hate bloggers, because we're unexperienced etc etc but there is a learning curve in all things. I am very knowledgeable and passionate about fashion, but I am still learning about cameras and photography.

I was hoping to hear from some professional photographers about what I should be looking for in a camera. Like do I need a wide angle or certain f-stop setting. Before I spend half a k on my limited grad student budget I want to be sure that I'm purchasing the perfect camera for what I am doing. I don't really trust the SAs at camera stores since their job is to close a sale. Unlike with apparel, there is no "test drive" or "mirror" to try out the camera!

I will be using this camera only for streetstyle photos.

Last edited by ChiStreetStyle; 11-09-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
affordable, camera, photos, streetstyle