How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

17-10-2005
backstage pass

who's third...CSM by any chance? lol...

18-10-2005
fashion icon

*ahem*

I think the Antwerp is second to one school you all are overlooking...

Chambre Syndicale De La Couture Parisienne.

18-10-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIM
y, if you have enough experience like time in the industry or a btec in a related subject (doesnt have to be fashion)
i was thinking about doing a btec in fashion, do the fashion schools like csm like it though, meaning is it worth doing and they dont think your thick because you took no other subjects?? or would it be better to do textiles and art in the alevels ( heavy work load with both) and two other subjects to have a broad palette and start fresh into the fashion system.

18-10-2005
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_<3_chanel
antwerp. is blatantly the best !
you only have to compare their 1st yrs work w/other schools final yr work !
That of course,is very true indeed. I think they're the only school who actually treats all courses of design seriously. That's why it's so difficult for alot of people to finish. Going there is no cake-walk compared to other school's who treat the first years as mere "beginning" courses. They're just as substantial as the final year,really.

18-10-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheme
do you need a one year art foundtation course for parsons?
Unless you're transferring in with enough credits that it doesn't require you to take foundations, every incoming freshmen has to take it, I believe.

18-10-2005
windowshopping

i go parsons.

the drop out rate of parsons is almost 50%, and the acceptance rate is 4X%... u get in, does not mean u will able to get your degree... it's seemingly most universities in the states are "easy to get in, and easy to drop out".
well, zac prosen and donna karen are the best examples tht did not made it.

i've heard that FIT is good for fashion business, but i doubt about it. some friends from my department are transfered from other top business schools like stern, wharton; and i transfered from kelley. why would we prefer parsons instead of FIT? because it's popular enough, even people not in the fashion field know about it.

over-rated(i doubt about the usage of this word) school helps alot when u apply for job, imo. when u apply for fashion school, u should also look into their famous alumnis, because most of my school alumnis look for intern every semester. getting a intern. with Marc jacobs, anna sui are seemingly easy in my school.(depends on your luck, of course)

Last edited by panda; 18-10-2005 at 08:53 PM.

19-10-2005
loaded and locked

i can only speak for bunka... its an amazing school for design and creation...and ive never seen such hard workers in my life.. but i mean, we practically live in the school. and their creations are amazing (i'm not in design so i'm always in wonder) it's like they are trying to reinvent the wheel every time..

23-10-2005
scenester

its a while away until i need to decide but i was thinkin of applying for fashion management or promotion at LCF... but i aint sure now lol!

Is there any other types of courses in other unis/colleges that focus mainly on these areas as opposed to design ect?!

xoxox

24-10-2005
windowshopping

And what about Arnhem? The fashion department there is very good. http://www.modearnhem.nl/mode-en.html At least I like it there ;-) They have a very nice study environment. For those who are interessted the next openday is at 19th of november.

29-10-2005
front row

what about schools in paris?

29-10-2005
front row

or France, really.

01-11-2005
windowshopping

Istituto Marangoni

01-11-2005
rising star

I agree with all the posters who mentioned that school is mostly what you choose to get out of it.

Parson, FIT, Central StMartins and Chambre Syndicale all have a prestigious alumni, but for all the famous alumni there are probably 1000 alumni who work a dull, anonymous job for a pathetically low wage, and many who never find work (or, at least, work they will accept) in the Fashion Industry.

In Canada, Colleges and Universities are required, by law, to post their graduate success rates (how many % are working in the industry post-program). Check and see if any interesting schools do that.

01-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie_fairy
its a while away until i need to decide but i was thinkin of applying for fashion management or promotion at LCF... but i aint sure now lol!

Is there any other types of courses in other unis/colleges that focus mainly on these areas as opposed to design ect?!

xoxox

well... I can speak from experience now, yay! Fashion promotion at LCF is so great at the moment although its alot of work. You do mostly writing; reviews, radio scripts, essays but also really interesting stuff like undergroung music scenes and the history of seduction! The lecturers all know what they re talking about as they are in the industry and the people on the course are fab! Honestly, I was expecting shrieking fashionistas and I got a bunch of lovelies instead. Its really cool to be in London too; so very much happening!

02-11-2005
trendsetter

^ in answer to the question about btecs i did a btec and got into st martins with acid (who btw hated mariangomi or howvever you spell it - i think i'm the youngest one here) but i can say grom experience that i cant imagine going anywhere else

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
best. schools, education, fashion, related, school