How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-11-2005
rising star

I live in Chicago and thinking of applying to Columbia, International Academy of Design and technology, and Illinois institude of Art. are there anymore schools in Chicago that are good? and also are they picky about your act's and gpa?thanx

11-11-2005
windowshopping

I was also wondering about the International Academy of Design and Technology... I was looking into that school a while ago.

13-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
to concur:

Royal Academy in Antwerp(or Flanders Fashion Institute to be specific)
Bunka of Japan
Rhode Island School of Design
Royal College of Art in London
Middlesex University

San Francisco art school looks really interesting too. New head teacher from London.

I can't say much for Parsons,FIT and CSM because frankly of all I heard,they're really quite overrated.

Middlesex is awful! Take it from one of many people who suffered 3 years there!
I also went to LCF and have had experiences with CSM (short courses) if I could go back afew years I would have left London and maybe actually learnt something!
They all suck...
Heard good things about Ravensbourne though...

13-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer716

Didn't know middlesex was good for fashion? or the arts although I knew a really talented bloke who did fine arts therer so maybe it is!

Believe me its not! I know I am really bashing but they deserve it!

13-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flauxhemian
i was thinking about doing a btec in fashion, do the fashion schools like csm like it though, meaning is it worth doing and they dont think your thick because you took no other subjects?? or would it be better to do textiles and art in the alevels ( heavy work load with both) and two other subjects to have a broad palette and start fresh into the fashion system.
Darling don't do a BTEC I have been through all this! BIG MISTAKE!
If you really want to go to CSM or any of the arty farty schools then my advice to you is to take A level art for sure and another creative subject maybe photography ( I don't even know what a levels they offer these days), I wouldn't bother with textiles CSM don't care if you can make clothes when you join or know about fabrics they just want a strong portfolio and a creative mind. They love it if you come from an art based background and have done a foundation. LCF's foundation is very good and CSM do their own. You don't have to take my advice but I took the fashion and textiles route and did a BTEC and while there is no point in regretting something i can't change I would have done things differently if I knew what i know now!

13-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie_fairy
its a while away until i need to decide but i was thinkin of applying for fashion management or promotion at LCF... but i aint sure now lol!

Is there any other types of courses in other unis/colleges that focus mainly on these areas as opposed to design ect?!

xoxox
LCF is reknowned for the business side esp their management and promtion courses, I think CSM do promotion aswell but I think it might be combined with design (it was last time i looked)
If you wanna keep your options open go to hotcourses.com it will tell you every course in the country in this field.
Don't be put off LCF's promotion courses because of what is said on this thread as I think it gets slated for its design course lacking "creativity" and edge.

15-11-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by msminicooper
Heard good things about Ravensbourne though...
Hi first post.

I just got back from an open day at Ravensbourne and their fashion department looked absolutely wonderful! Fantastic work, lovely tutors and only half an hour or so from the center of London. I forgot my camera but they had loads of nifty equipment for textiles and the fashion rooms were veeeery large and well lit.

From what I've heard from friends who've attended University of the Arts colleges (CSM, LCF etc), the classes are all, without exception, too overcrowed. They also have some of the lowest student satisfaction rates in the country. Maybe it's just me being picky but I prefer to work with smaller more personal classes. 40+ students to a group is a big turn off for me.

Anyone heard anything good about Bath Spa University's fashion foundation degree?

15-11-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

^
yeah I agree. I think these smaller schools consistantly put out great designers with skills whereas St.Martins, Parsons, etc. put out people who would have made it anyway either through connections or raw talent. I don't know if they harness talent that well, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, still dont' know any great schools for Buying/Merch other than FIT and LCF.

15-11-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
^
yeah I agree. I think these smaller schools consistantly put out great designers with skills whereas St.Martins, Parsons, etc. put out people who would have made it anyway either through connections or raw talent. I don't know if they harness talent that well, if that makes sense.
You are absolutely right...if people want REAL jobs in fashion where they actually earn money they need to go to the lesser known schools that actually teach not arty farty CSM or Middlesex where they just select the stars and help them but forget the rest. Thats the attitude I have found from my own and others experiences.
Most students especially the young ones think that having their own label is the be all and end all but there are so many great design jobs out there.
I know a guy who was the most creative guy ever as a student and def one of the "stars" but he got a job designing for Marks and Spencers and guess what....he LOVES it!

16-11-2005
windowshopping

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you kno i have just returned from visiting FIDM in LA. I actually went for an interview. Over all i was impressed with the school but not with LA. Unless u have a car there is no way getting around. Also FIDM is located downtown LA but turnes out that downtown LA is not such a hotspot. Its really far away from the beach and all the fun. As for the interview i applied with my original high school transcript and thought even tho my grades are poor i would still have a chance because my portfolio was very strong. Turns out they really do care for grades over the portfolio. but thats ok because i decided to stick to a school in NYC. I'm considering FIT or Parsons.

I also have a quastion. I have been going to a community college and was wondering if my gpa is very good do i have a chance to get to Parsons even though my grades in high school were not so good? How would that work?

Thank you very much and i hope i helped

16-11-2005
front row

i know an art teacher whose many students went to Parsons, and she said that they DO look at grades. so, having poor grades would affect your admission she says... BUT my best friend's sister went to Parsons and she wasn't the most academic girl, i know she had poor SAT scores...i'm thinking her grades weren't so hot either...but she got in...
hope i helped. g'luck

19-11-2005
windowshopping

To those who were interested in the International Academy of design and tech.... i dont think you should bother with the school. i filled out some little thing for them to send me info about the school and then the next thing i knew i was getting calls for interviews (which i didnt go to and didnt want to go to) and then i got a call saying i was accepted to the school???? even though i never applied.... hmmm thats a little fishy to me. i dont think they're any good so i would look elsewhere.

20-11-2005
front row

that's hilarious. yea i don't think those sort of schools are that great .. anywhoo... i'd love to hear someone that went to CSM give a thorough review... it seems like everyone's repeating things over and over again...

19-12-2005
scenester

could anyone possibly tell me if going to CSM for it's summer or xmas courses are worth it for someone who doesn't have the time nor money to live in UK for a couple of years?

19-12-2005
trendsetter

i dont know where everyone is getting this "saint martins dont teach you" thing from, they do teach you, and believe me they drill it into you, months ago i couldnt really make mach but now i can make any standard garment with my eyes closed! they harness your talent and then push you to where you want to go! i have to say it is an excellent school. i'm sure sean (acid) will say the same thing

oh and saint martins do have the fashion management/ promotion course and it isnt combined with design. fashion marketing however is combined with design

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
best. schools, education, fashion, related, school