How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2009
windowshopping

I'd really like to know the economics behind it and how fashion houses work as an institution. Why they do things.

I have always thought about this. Look at Chanel, they make clothes the center piece of their fashion house, but how often do they really sell their clothes? It must pale in comparison to the ammount of watches/perfume/makeup that they sale.

It seems that they structure themselves to show off their clothes to attract attention so they can sell their other products. The same way automobile companies make really flashy cars but really only sell their lesser models to the general people.

08-06-2009
windowshopping

Chanel is such a classic name.... It stand in a category of its own...

09-06-2009
scenester

The most comprehensive online bibliography to fashion theory that I know can be found at http://modetheorie.de/ - it's a German site but with lots of English titles.

Many fashion related publications can be found at http://www.bergpublishers.com/ - view their catalogue here: http://www.bergpublishers.com/LinkCl...d=36&mid=30326

10-06-2009
windowshopping

Are there any books about styling that you guys recommend? I'd love to read about other stylists, becoming a stylist, and learn more about what looks good on a person and how to dress different body types.

backstage pass

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been looking for information on the actual construction of clothing...like the process designers or manufacturers go through to actually cut and sew the pieces. I don't know if this belongs in here, if not, please steer me in the right direction!

11-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma89 View Post
I'd really like to know the economics behind it and how fashion houses work as an institution. Why they do things.

I have always thought about this. Look at Chanel, they make clothes the center piece of their fashion house, but how often do they really sell their clothes? It must pale in comparison to the ammount of watches/perfume/makeup that they sale.

It seems that they structure themselves to show off their clothes to attract attention so they can sell their other products. The same way automobile companies make really flashy cars but really only sell their lesser models to the general people.
enigma, there are conversations about that all over the forums here, but I don't know if there is one book on it. How about this book? Luxury Fashion Branding

There are also members you might want to contact for more ideas.. Check related threads, maybe typing business or couture in the search fields, to see which memberes are posting in those threads
Some examples:
lacroix fashion house declares insolvency
olivier theyskens
and other threads specific to one designer have a lot of talk about their business ventures

some possible members..
Harumi, milada, designerleather, mutterlein, educo, spike413, tricotineacetat..

Last edited by gius; 14-06-2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: fixed members' name list
11-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav_ View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I've been looking for information on the actual construction of clothing...like the process designers or manufacturers go through to actually cut and sew the pieces. I don't know if this belongs in here, if not, please steer me in the right direction!
Sav_ do you mean sewing and patternmaking? Or construction on a grander scale, like how a collection gets produced, maybe 100 copies of each design

-

sidewalks I have seen a lot of sewing books that talk about ideas in how to dress a figure... Ideas for colour, silhouette, texture/print pattern depending on a person's figure/face shape/ height/ etc.
Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing (I have the one from 1975)
New Vogue Sewing book

and online (these links just have a small overview, general ideas..)
http://www.vintagesewing.info/1920s/...fcm-intro.html
http://www.vintagesewing.info/1930s/...paris-toc.html

for hats
http://www.vintagesewing.info/1930s/...p-24-sele.html

And you can study more , by reading about art and design
"fundamentals"
line, shape, texture, balance, contrast, etc...

to put it simply 'styling' is all based on "proportions"
and using your eye to find what feels 'right' ^^

Last edited by gius; 11-06-2009 at 11:40 PM.
12-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalks View Post
Are there any books about styling that you guys recommend? I'd love to read about other stylists, becoming a stylist, and learn more about what looks good on a person and how to dress different body types.
the most fresh and famous book regarding stylists is this one :
Stylists : The Interpreters of Fashion
http://www.amazon.com/Stylist-Interp...795090&sr=8-11

and, though it's not really stylist related, i would recommend :
The Cheap Date Guide to Style - compiled by Cheap Date Magazine's founders
http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Date-Gui...4795221&sr=1-1

- this is not the cover book i got, but i guess this is the same book.
"this book contains, everything a girl could wish to know about style/ Seamless, irreverent and very funny, it's a must-have for all seasons"

12-06-2009
backstage pass

Gius, I guess I mean sewing and patternmaking!

12-06-2009
V.I.P.

I see

You'll find that in this other thread then
Books for Fashion Designers: Sewing, Draping, Developing your Own Line. Etc.

12-06-2009
backstage pass

Ohhh I had no idea, thanks

13-06-2009
barcode

I'm going to echo BerlinRocks' recommendation from the last page. I finished reading "The Beautiful Fall" by Alicia Drake a week ago and it's definitely a must read. It offers so much insight into YSL and Lagerfeld, their rivalry, their work and their personalities, as well as the fashion industry in general from the late 50s to the mid-80s.

14-06-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma89 View Post

I feel like I keep on spruiking this book, but I think Teri Agin's The End of Fashion is perfect for this too.

14-06-2009
backstage pass

LOVE this thread! I have a list of 5 books I want to read now! I'm going to get House of Gucci today...everyone seems to give it great reviews. I've read The Beautiful Fall (Drake), The End of Fashion (Agins), and Deluxe (Thomas) which were all really good in my opinion.

Also, Fashion Babylon (Edwards-Jones) and Some Like it Haute (Dam) were fun light fiction reads...probably perfect for reading at the beach!!

28-06-2009
trendsetter

I'm with cicciolina, i suggest the end of fashion by teri agins. it's very interesting regarding the business and marketing side of fashion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations