How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2010
scenester

House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival
just got this book - it's brilliantly written. highly recommended.
i've never been a versace fan but reading it remind me of gianni's impact on fashion world and the human aspect of fashion.
there are also some picture and it's full of insider information and little anecdotes.
http://www.amazon.com/House-Versace-...7818818&sr=1-1

05-03-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
^The Beautiful Fall by Alicia Drake is probably the best known Karl biography. There's another in German, I think, but it has not yet been translated.

That said, I'd recommend simply reading the entire archive of the Karl thread, as there's more information on him there than any book could possibly contain.
I agree- Beautiful Fall is a marvelous book- but almost too detailed in some ways....we have New Yorker, Vanity Fair and New York Magazine articles on the Karl thread which are great!

15-03-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
^The Beautiful Fall by Alicia Drake is probably the best known Karl biography. There's another in German, I think, but it has not yet been translated.

That said, I'd recommend simply reading the entire archive of the Karl thread, as there's more information on him there than any book could possibly contain.
Thanks. Starting to read the book now

What would be the name of the book in German be? It'll be nice if I can start tracking that one down since I'll need a German language source for this assignment/project that I'm doing

15-03-2010
front row

I guess it might have been already discussed, but I LOVED the book about Anna Wintour "The Fron Row".
It's very well written, has interesting facts and it is also very funny. i recommend it to everyone, even those who are not interested in fashion.

17-06-2010
windowshopping

Great post. It will take me months to check these books out. Dollhaus lead me here. Suggest if I might ask you to return the favor by making a post to one of her threads. Hopefully, this isn't breaking a rule since I'm a newbie. Her bio impressed me.

19-06-2010
front row

Haute Couture Sewing Techniques... absolutely phenomenal

05-07-2010
backstage pass

Good fashion book store in Rome and Montreal ?
Hi, a friend of mine is traveling to Rome and Montreal so I have him take home for me some books but because of strict time, a guy is most likely not going to wander around for fashion books

So could you pls help me with the location and/or book suggestion ? I'm thinking about a book on the house of Chanel with high-quality photographs and articles .

But do suggest

Is it possible to have an exquisite book with no more than $100 ?

20-08-2010
backstage pass

Books about Fashion
i've searched but i couldn't find a thread like this(but if there is,i'm sorry,and please delete)

so,i'm interested about fashion books.I want to read about fashion.
I only know about a few books like:

Oliviero Toscani's La Pub est une charogne qui nous sourit
and the Tom Ford book(though it only contains pictures..)
thanks in advance!

Last edited by Lanbim Cord; 20-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.
20-08-2010
fashion icon

You could always take a look at 20th Century Fashion or In Vogue: The Illustrated History of the Worlds Most Famous Fashion Magazine (I personally love this one, its interesting to read about the mags beginings, look at past covers and editorials, and see how its changed over the years).

20-08-2010
Some Like It Hot

Fashion books i recommend would be :
  • The Tom Ford Book
  • The Prada Book - although its mainly another Picture/coffee table book (700+ pages) it still contains alot of their history and information i didn't know, and it also comes beautifully presented too.
  • The Golden Age of Couture - more focused on the hay day's of Chanel, Dior and Balenciaga.
  • Manolo Blahnik Drawings - It's exactly that, about... 300 pages of Drawings by Manolo Blahnik from the beginning to around 2007 i think, the foreword was done by Anna Wintour.

one book i would however wouldn't recommend would be 'Alexander McQueen - Genius of a Generation' it's a waste of Money, i bought it with high expectations and it was an incredible let down, all the images in the book are from Getty, and its awfully put together, as much as it kills me to say that about something in connection with Lee, it doesn't represent his genius or his craft one bit.

V.I.P.

Fashion Now 1-2.

20-08-2010
fashion icon

Fruits or Fresh Fruits, compilations of the Japanese magazine, great if you enjoy Japanese street style.

21-08-2010
backstage pass

thank you guys! i'm really curious about the Prada book now!

22-08-2010
Some Like It Hot

Another Book i forgot to mention, Balenciaga Paris, it's the most detailed of Fashion Books i own, i love that at the start of the book they have the original floor plan of the Salon and it goes almost Year by Year throughout the history, and up to around spring 2006.

The Prada Book is magnificent, it's definitely worth investing in.

V.I.P.

Milbank's coffee table book 'Couture' is a great book- and there are some used copies floating around at a very reasonable price...I can never get enough on that subject anyway!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations