How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-08-2004
tfs star

Not the drivel Plum writes........

I would also like to recommend the Gucci history, extremely fascinating.

It even contains a charming snap of where Tom Ford and his boyfriend walked their pet chiuahah.

24-08-2004
scenester

Thanks so much girls!!!

XOXO-K

barcode

Does anyone have any opinions on the Alaia book?

25-08-2004
backstage pass

"Fashion Algebra" by Anna Piaggi

"Lagerfeld's Sketchbook"- Karl Lagerfeld with Anna Piaggi

"Treacy"- Phillip Treacy about Isabella Blow's hats

Charles Baudelaire
10-09-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

as for Fashion Now, on Rick Owens pages, there are a few photos of Michelle Lamy wearing his stuff. we could see why he makes so narrow jackets when it comes to womens.

btw faust, you are able to check this current issue there? it's good.

http://www.brutusonline.com/casa/?lang=en

art museum by Ando Tadao, his latest work

Let the stars decide
10-09-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by runner@Sep 10 2004, 09:43 AM
as for Fashion Now, on Rick Owens pages, there are a few photos of Michelle Lamy wearing his stuff. we could see why he makes so narrow jackets when it comes to womens.
btw faust, you are able to check this current issue there? it's good.

http://www.brutusonline.com/casa/?lang=en

art museum by Ando Tadao, his latest work

[snapback]362032[/snapback]

Hmm, I'm sure I could see it the New York branch of Kinokuniya (did I spell that right?). It's just really out of my way. But I will keep it in mind. Thank you.

10-09-2004
El Viaje Definitivo

you are welcome

and yes, that's perfect.

Let the stars decide
10-09-2004
front row

I just picked up the Fashionist Files: Adventures in Four-Inch Heels and Faux Pas. The story-writing is composed of snippets of the author's real-life adventures combined with how-to sections regarding shopping, finding your style, etc. It's nothing we don't already know, but it's a pretty fun read.

Fashionista Files on Amazon.com

V.I.P.

http://www.sundayherald.com/44655

For all of you who are interested in fashion photography. What a story!

13-01-2005
Stitch:the Hand

Fashion Cream:Book
Quote:
FASHION CREAM : BOOK

A large format publication that will present the work of 100 international fashion designers who have emerged on an international platform in the last five years and whose work best represents forward-looking achievement in the field of fashion.

Walter van Beirendonck, one of the Fashion Cream curators, selected Bruno Pieters. The contributors are drawn from critics, stylists, designers, magazine editors and photographers who are all involved in innovative developments in contemporary fashion.† This book will be published with Phaidon Press by Spring 2005.

Photography: by Alex Salinas

http://www.phaidon.com
Can't wait to see this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fashioncream.jpg (28.9 KB, 257 views)

13-01-2005
V.I.P.

Wow sounds great

13-01-2005
etre soi-meme

seems like a greek photographer to me.. thanks for bringing this in scott

13-01-2005
V.I.P.

awesome. i love bruno.

V.I.P.

The fashion pack

Reviewer
Janice Breen Burns
May 7, 2005

Page Tools

Marion Hume has drawn on her experience in the Australian fashion industry.

The Fashion Pack,
By Marion Hume,
Penguin, $32.95

Fashion is one of those industries - like music, or movies - with a lot more admirers than it probably deserves. Marion Hume's book is testament to why. Its plot swings through the fantastic upper branches of fashion in Paris, Milan and New York where moguls, super models, movie stars and sycophants converge twice a year to schmooze, shop and pose at the shows and where fashion writers and editors not only lap it up and write it down but are an integral part and propellant of the whole amazing business.

In Hume's world everyone's innate value - social, sexual, professional and even self-worth - hinge on who they can impress by how they look. Egos are monstrous or frequently bruised. Truth is useful or junked for a better outcome. Clothing is a language of right labels and wrong labels.

It's a world full of gratifyingly unlikeable people and unsurprising stereotypes: the predatory fashion photographer who exploits the brattish and vulnerable underaged supermodel, the salt-of-the-earth Aussie girl from the Western suburbs, the wry outback Aborigine, the ice-cool flawlessly fashionable bitch from hell, and the succession of fussy fashion-obsessed homosexual queens.

AdvertisementAdvertisement
Hume's own, very real infamy as a 20-year veteran industry "insider", and as the renowned British-born fashion journalist sent out to the colonies in 1997 to edit our - at the time flagging - version of Vogue, is mirrored in the plight of her main - and, she insists - fictitious character.

Red Harrison is sent to Sydney ("Style desert - how ghastly!" her friends helpfully inform her) to edit fictional fashion glossy Joy. It's her initial perception of Australia as a hick, alien nation, two days' jetlag from the real world, that drives the book's first chapters and stimulates some of its most cringe-making cliches. Red checks for red-back spiders, for example, even in the slickest, five-star environments. She's heard of Lindy Chamberlain, and authorises a fashion shoot at Uluru with a teen model enacting the narrative: "A dingo stole my diamonds!" And the vast Antipodean vernacular is enthusiastically plumbed: "I'm full as a fat girl's bra," Red's Australian boss announces after a boozy lunch. "(He's so) ugly, he couldn't get a root in a slap house with a fistful of fifties," counters her heart-of-gold "Westie" secretary, Angie. As you do. The you-beaut Aussie meta-slangs roll on through the book.

Hume's prose is pacy but her characters are thin - as you might expect - and not especially engaging. Even Red, painted by Hume as a non-conforming "fat" woman in the land of the slim (that's size 12-14 to you) is irritatingly enamoured by the right shoes and frocks and prone to self-effacing commentary on her own unfashionable curves, puzzlingly described in one passage as ". . . on the chubby side of touchability". Enough already.

After about a third of the book's 663 pages, however, the plot thickens and quickens and The Fashion Pack becomes an absorbing, escapist read. It keeps on bouncing between a sparkling, sunlit Sydney and the bigger pantheons of fashion, and it's possible, finally, to forget that you may not give a toss about the characters as people, but their lives are at least compelling as a car crash is compelling.

In reality, Hume was sacked from Vogue in 1998. Circulation had spiralled relentlessly during the 18 months of her appointment.

06-05-2005
V.I.P.

I bought this today. Some stunning images of both historical costume and contemporary museum-worthy fashion. I didn't know Chalayan has made a wooden corset .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...559780-8550252

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations