How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-05-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUECHIP View Post
my lust list:

TOM FORD
karl lagerfeld: the beauty of violence
Who doesn't want that Tom Ford book? The l.a. library has is it.

22-05-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dju dju View Post
just got this book - it's brilliantly written. highly recommended.
i've never been a versace fan but reading it remind me of gianni's impact on fashion world and the human aspect of fashion.
there are also some picture and it's full of insider information and little anecdotes.
http://www.amazon.com/House-Versace-...7818818&sr=1-1
It's incredible how many fabrics he came up with! I was shocked.

backstage pass

crystal renns hungry and a.l.t. by andre leon talley made me nearly cry several times.
diana vreeland and dvf are fab.
alek wek is beyond.
influence by the olsens is great.

V.I.P.

superbeautiful,

ETA: Post about dress forms moved to: Supplies/ Sources for Designers: Fabrics, Textiles, Trimings, Notions, Findings, Etc

Last edited by BetteT; 24-05-2011 at 12:08 AM.
26-05-2011
windowshopping

For all the people that live in the Netherlands and are looking for books about fashion designer: you should check out ""The American Book Center" in Amsterdam. It's a great place to find all kinds of books about fashion and of course other stuff. It can be find on Spui! Hope that helps.

30-05-2011
Some Like It Hot

Steven Klein has a new book coming out on the 1st November 2011 in a limited print of 750 copies, I'm unsure if they're going to be signed or not but it definitely looks interesting and i hope it'll be available in a regular print soon as the price for the limited edition is £850 with the book covered in embossed Leather.

Man by Steven Klein (Published by Damiani, 200 Pages Hardback)

Quote:
Steven Klein's darkly sexual and surreal portraits of the likes of Madonna, Lady Gaga and Brad Pitt have defined a new idiom in fashion and celebrity photography. This luxurious production features his vision of the male nude in previously unpublished photographs and drawings. With its bold declarations of sexuality and an irreverent stance on celebrity, the fashion photography and celebrity portraiture of Steven Klein has set a defining look for our times. Klein is a very different breed of photographer to his colleagues in the field, as any one of his images conveys: the primarily cinematic character of his work lends it a rare scale of drama ('he thinks about the entirety of the set,' says his W magazine collaborator Dennis Freedman). More notoriously, Klein laces his staged scenarios with powerful doses of sadomasochism and surrealism, as his famous portraits of Brad Pitt and Madonna and his controversial video for Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" make plain. Today, as New York magazine recently raved, 'Klein is, arguably, the most influential (and busy) fashion photographer in the world...even while his career seems to be all about flouting the rules of fashion photography.' This extraordinary volume concentrates Klein's vision of the male nude and male sexuality in a series of previously unseen photographs and drawings addressing themes of death, desire, violence and transformation. Bound in leather by Italian craftsmen, and limited to an edition of 750 copies, it is the most concise and extravagant statement of the Klein aesthetic yet published.

*Amazon.co.uk

V.I.P.

A couple of good ones: Coco Chanel- The Legend and the Life by Justine Picardie...A really great, very readable, and as factual as possible book. The author broke down the many, many myths of previous bios and Coco's own 'tales', and found much of it was not true at all! Coco was very prominent in High Society as time went by and seems to have intentionally created her own myth of the past to cover up her rather embarrassing early days...A very well done book!
And- The House of Klein by Lisa Marsh, which is from a few years back but focuses on the business side of the Calvin story, which is just as fascinating as the designs- an excellent book for fashion students that looks more at the big picture...I was always amazed when I was around the biz how little of what went on was design oriented; so much of it is determined by marketing and dollars and cents...

09-06-2011
backstage pass

the book on ysl's exposition at the met is not to missed.

backstage pass

Personal favourites that some people might not know about: Fashion: The Century of the Designer 1900-1999 by Charlotte Seeling, Visionaries: Interviews with Fashion Designers by Susannah Frankel, and Japan Fashion Now by Valerie Steele. I'm looking forward to the Hussein Chalayan book that comes out this year.

Also, I was just at Borders today and decided to take a flip through Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Influence and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

11-07-2011
backstage pass

i'm just wondering are there any books about burberry?
i searched on amazon,find 1 book about its history 'The Burberry Name in History'.did anyone read this?is it really about the brand itself(collections,ad campaigns..etc) or is it about how burberry changed with time?
thanks

15-07-2011
windowshopping

Theres loads of great fashion books. My favourites are Derek Blasbery's Classy, The Teen Vogue Handbook, The Basics Fashion Design Series, The Fashion Book and the Fashion & Textiles Essential Careers Guide by Carol Brown. They are all amazing books.

*Edited*

Have a nice day!

x

Last edited by BetteT; 16-07-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Please do not post links to your personal blog in posts, per tFS "no self promotion" rules.
15-07-2011
V.I.P.

Thanks for the recommendations! * Runs to Amazon...as usual...* You have a very nice blog!

01-08-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! * Runs to Amazon...as usual...* You have a very nice blog!
Hahah, thank you very much gotta love Amazon!

Have a great week!

X

19-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

i would definitely recommend the book that goes with the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met in NYC...
as well as Yohji Yamamoto's book called 'My dear bomb'...

these are both new- out this year...
and available on amazon...

Hussein Chalayan's new book is getting a lot of good press already as well...

24-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

dazed and confused fashion editor katie shillingford's list...

The Naked and the Dressed by Richard Avedon and Gianni Versace
Irving Penn Regards Issey Miyake by Irving Penn
Helmut Newton: Sumo by Helmut Newton
Hussein Chalayan by Hussein Chalayan
Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa by Hans Silvester
Jungle Fever by Jean-Paul Goude and Harold Hayes
So Far So Goude by Jean-Paul Goude and Patrick Maurias
Peter Beard by Peter Beard
Perfection in Form by Robert Mapplethorpe
Issey Miyake: Making Things by Kazuko Sato and Herve Chandes
Nick Knight by Nick Knight
Maison Martin Margiela by Martin Margiela
Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy (Metropolitan Museum of Art) by Harold Koda and Andrew Bolton

Last edited by softgrey; 24-08-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations