How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-08-2011
windowshopping

Thanks for sharing these, I shall be adding these to my ever expanding list of books to read.

27-08-2011
windowshopping

Can anyone recommend any good reading materials for someone looking to get into fashion buying?

29-08-2011
V.I.P.

Just finished and really enjoyed - The Chronology of Fashion : from Empire Dress to Ethical Design by N.J Stevenson.

The Chronology of Fashion traces the history of fashion from the late 18th century up to the present. Following a strict chronology, it pinpoints the times when a distinctive style of suit or dress, hat or handbag, cut or style of hair or fabric, or indeed an entire look attained its peak of popularity and influence. Highly illustrated with full figure images, silhouettes and swatches of materials, the book also looks at key designers, how fashion has played a crucial role in art and film, and the trends that identified and defined various periods. This book should be a must for anyone interested in fashion and its development.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chronology-F.../dp/1408126370

09-09-2011
V.I.P.

I picked up The Ellements of Style at the local book fair. It's got some lovely images and though it's celebrity-focused, the style tips really are great.

backstage pass

Hands down Taschen's Fashion: A History from the 18th to the 20th Century. I looooove it.

backstage pass

could anybody recommend me a good book about hermés ?
has anybody read 'le carré de hermés' / 'the hermés scarf'? link HERE
i'm planning to buy this but i'm not sure if it's good.
thank you for the answers.

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

i don't read a lot of fashion related books, but i did enjoy 'Bergdorf Blondes'

25-09-2011
backstage pass

After reading about it here, I just purchased Deluxe: How luxury lost its lustre. I almost bought it on Amazon a week or so ago but thought against it, as I knew I would get sucked in and not study! But I just found it in my local bookstore that is closing down, and bought it for $10!

I am sucked in thus far (though, I am limiting myself to a few pages here and there). I have found it really informative thus far, not just some frivolous read. The blurb on the back sort of makes it sound a bit of a book of "yeah, we know", wish washy stuff but inside it is jam packed with info.

Will update when I am finished!

26-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Patrick Demarchelier's Dior Tome

Fashion photographer Patrick Demarchelier is putting the focus on Christian Dior in a new book titled “Dior Couture.” Published by Rizzoli, the 248-page tome — out Nov. 15 — has 120 color and black-and-white images that span from the birth of the house in 1947 until today. Among the women donning the gowns are actress Charlize Theron and model Gisele Bündchen. Artist Jeff Koons penned the foreword, and editor Ingrid Sischy wrote an essay. The title will retail for 100 euros, or $139 at current exchange.
wwd.com

Last edited by tarsha; 26-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.
26-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
DAZED & CONFUSED BOOK: MAKING IT UP AS WE GO ALONG

For our 20th anniversary we gathered our friends, family and coverstars in this book of legendary photo shoots and creative collaborations

It’s our 20th birthday and what better way to celebrate than by releasing a brand new, shiny book? Published by Rizzoli and edited by founders, journalist and writer Jefferson Hack and photographer Rankin, 'Making It Up As We Go Along' takes a visual look back on the colourful and multifarious content featured in the magazine over the last 20 years.

Including quotes, recollections and interviews with the photographers, stylists, designers, artists and musicians who have contributed over the years, the book provides a rich mix of different voices that have shaped the magazine’s agenda and form. Legendary photo shoots and creative collaborations are re-visited, alongside original art projects and cutting-edge fashion editorial, including iconic material by Alexander McQueen, Damien Hirst and Vivienne Westwood.

Dazed favourites and cover stars Björk, Harmony Korine, Chloe Sevigny and Thom Yorke are also featured, with an introductory conversation between Jefferson Hack and Rankin serving as an insight into the very beginnings of Dazed & Confused.

'Making It Up As We Go Along' is out October 20, 2011, published by Rizzoli.

For more info and to buy the book, click HERE
lifeandtimes
dazeddigital

26-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Assouline's Luxe Chanel Project

Assouline and Chanel are offering a very special limited edition — a hand-made slipcase in the fashion house’s iconic tweed for the publisher’s three-book set on Chanel fashion, jewelry and perfumes. Only 30 tweed slipcovers will be available, and the exclusivity comes at a price. Each is priced at $2,500 — including the books by François Baudot and Françoise Aveline — and sold at Assouline as well as Neiman Marcus.
wwd.com

27-10-2011
backstage pass

Just finished reading Like no other store... by Marvin Traub (Bloomingdales)
and Crossing Fifth Avenue by Ira Neimark (Bergdoff Goodman)
Both of these men took stores that were already well known and turned them into cultural institutions and landmarks. A must read for fashion merchandising students.

Last edited by aldn; 27-10-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: grammar
27-10-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post
Assouline's Luxe Chanel Project
Fabulous execution

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldn
Just finished reading Like no other store... by Marvin Traub (Bloomingdales)
and Crossing Fifth Avenue by Ira Neimark (Bergdoff Goodman)
Both of these men took stores that were already well known and turned them into cultural institutions and landmarks. A must read for fashion merchandising students.
My shame, never heard about these books. So thank you for your recommendation!

V.I.P.

^ Re: Assouline's Chanel Books- obviously the boxed set is out of sight, but I have managed to find each volume on EBay over time, and they are some of my favorites; beautiful pictures, many drawings by Karl as well- highly recommended if you can find them at an affordable price...

27-10-2011
███████████████

Dior Couture by Patrick Demarchelier

Publisher: Rizzoli (December 6, 2011) 256 pages

vogue.uk.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations