How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2014
Some Like It Hot

Lanvin: I Love You by Alber Elbaz

Quote:
Hardcover: 260 pages
Publisher: Rizzoli International Publications (30 Sep 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0847844218
ISBN-13: 978-0847844210

An important monograph on the complete work thus far of Alber Elbaz for Lanvin—one of fashion’s most transformative designers working today, who employs mise-en-scènes as a principal way of staging his work. Under the helm of present design director Alber Elbaz, Lanvin is now one of the powerhouses of Paris fashion, and his respectful nod to the origins and founding aesthetic of Lanvin is tempered by an unrivaled, transformative energy that has created a new, youthful audience for the house. One of the pillars of Elbaz’s work, apart from staging dynamic runway presentations, is a unique way of presenting his designs in the windows of their flagship stores, most notably in the boutique on the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré. These mise-en-scènes, which change every month, are well regarded as elaborate spectacles unique even in fashion. Seducing passersby into his very distinctive brand of street theater and occasionally employing prominent artists of the day, Elbaz’s windows are above all about the clothes, and his designs are given pride of place in a variety of elegant and often playful episodes. The book showcases the fashion and spirit of Lanvin with nearly two hundred compositions, from those shown at their boutiques to one-offs at the Crillon, and as far afield as Art Basel in Miami, as well as unpublished renderings of concepts hand-drawn by Elbaz
*Amazon.co.uk

27-04-2014
Some Like It Hot

Vogue and the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute: Parties, Exhibitions, People

Quote:
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (1 Oct 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1419714244
ISBN-13: 978-1419714245

The Metropolitan Museum's annual Costume Institute exhibition is the most prestigious event of its kind--a remarkable, must-see spectacle. With subjects that both reflect the zeitgeist and contribute to its creation, each exhibition--from 2005's "Chanel," to 2011's "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty"--creates a provocative and engaging narrative drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors. The show's opening-night gala, produced in collaboration with Vogue magazine, is regularly referred to as the Party of the Year and draws a glamorous A-list crowd. Untitled Met/Vogue begins its exploration of the event in 1971 and spans four decades, bringing us to the present. The book will offer a level of elevated, insider access only Vogue is capable of providing. Through photographs from the exhibitions themselves, as well as the fashion shoots they inspired in the pages of the magazine, catalogues, invitations and party photos from the opening-night galas, every chapter will offer a visually arresting, in-depth survey of that year's theme. Drawing from extensive Vogue archives, the fashion shoots featured will be anchored by photographs from icons such as Annie Leibovitz, Mario Testino and Craig McDean, while also showcasing the editorial vision of legendary Vogue editors like Grace Coddington and Tonne Goodman and the immense knowledge and wit of writers such as Hamish Bowles and Jonathan Van Meter.
*Amazon.co.uk

Some Like It Hot

A list of books set to be published this year -

Yves Saint Laurent by Roxanne Lowit & Pierre Bergé (27th October 2014)
Vogue: The Gown by Conde Nast Publications (14th October 2014)
Haute Couture Ateliers: The Artisans of Fashion (29th September 2014)
Elsa Schiaparelli's Private Album by Marisa Berenson (9th June 2014)

Some Like It Hot

*Waterstones.co.uk
Quote:
A unique insight into one of the most creative and romantic fashion designers working today, exploring the process and imagination that drive his lavish work. When the Roman designer Giambattista Valli launched his own line in Paris in 2005, few would have anticipated the influence he would ultimately wield on contemporary design. Lauded as the heir to the giants of twentieth-century Italian fashion, Valli and his designs herald a return to romance and an elegant femininity, melding a sense of fantasy with lean, modern lines. Impeccably tailored, meticulously detailed, and luxuriously crafted, his collections are crucial passages in contemporary fashion history, attended by everyone from royalty to A-list Hollywood celebrities.The book offers a window into the work of an artist at the height of his creative powers a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the world of one of the most unique fashion designers working today, with images of his design process and backstage views of runway shows that allow readers to accompany the designer on his creative journey. The volume includes booklets with details of Valli s lushly complex fabrics and clothing.

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Louis Vuitton Fashion Photography

Publication Date: 14 Oct 2014

A landmark fashion photography monograph chronicling the most famous and sought-after brand in the world. Since the 1920s, the images of Louis Vuitton—both advertising and editorial—have drawn the world into its ethereal, luxurious identity and have changed the way we see fashion, travel, art, and culture. These captivating touchstones of fashion photography have served as a glamorous, romantic porthole to one of the world’s most prestigious luxury brands. Louis Vuitton Fashion Photography is an unprecedented visual history of the company, seen through its presence in photographs. This exceptional album features over two hundred images by the most important modern and contemporary photographers, including David Bailey, Henry Clarke, Patrick Demarchelier, Karl Lagerfeld, Annie Leibovitz, Helmut Newton, David Sims, Bert Stern, Juergen Teller, Mario Testino, and Bruce Weber. This book features images from iconic Vuitton advertising campaigns from the ’20s through to the present, with magazine editorials from publications including Vogue, L’Officiel, Numéro, V, Harper’s Bazaar, Interview, W, Egoïste, Love, and Pop. This elegantly designed mix creates a unique and exciting expression of the brand and its interpretation by top stylists and fashion editors. Chronicling the style, history, and exquisite fashion through lavish, evocative photography, this volume is an absolute essential for lovers of fashion, art, and photography.
*Amazon.co.uk

scenester

any book done by the Met is great!! I have, and recommend, Balenciaga by Pierre Arizzoli-Clémentel (ISBN: 978-0500970287). Also, there is a really huge book called Fashion: 150 Years of Couturiers, Designers, Labels. It's a great overview of different eras, designers, styles, and icons. I wish it was more encyclopedic, but anymore and the book would require a two people to lift, lol.

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
I Just Arrived in Paris

Publication Date: 27 Oct 2014

ISBN: 978-3869308234

On 5 March 2014, Juergen Teller photographed the eagerly anticipated first collection by Nicolas Ghesquière as the new artistic director of Louis Vuitton. In his inimitable style, Teller visualizes the designers ambitious manifesto for the luxury house: Louis Vuitton is a land of contrasts. A time-honored and noble legacy is kept alive by a yearning for discovery and exploration. Coursing boldly and imaginatively through the decades, Louis Vuitton refreshes the world of fashion with an untiring ebb and flow of retrospective and fresh perspective This initial collection tells a tale of expertise made possible by innovative techniques. It focuses on the highlights and remains open to interpretation. Living proof that todays timeless was at one time seen as innovative. In this collection, the timeless is now. This book is a collaboration between two of the most influential vanguards working in contemporary fashion. Tellers candid, unadorned aesthetic perfectly complements the restrained luxury of Ghesquières fashion, marking the beginning of a new chapter in the rich history of Louis Vuitton.

*amazon.co.uk

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Yves Saint Laurent by Roxanne Lowit

Publication Date: 27 Oct 2014

Hardcover: 208 pages

ISBN-13: 978-0500517604

Yves Saint Laurent is a name synonymous with style, elegance and high fashion. When he came on the scene at Dior and then started his own line, he quickly changed the way people regarded haute couture and the world of fashion itself. He revolutionized womens eveningwear when he introduced le smoking, a womans tuxedo. He had a huge impact not only on fashion, but also on many peoples lives, including that of photographer Roxanne Lowit. Yves Saint Laurent is Lowits personal photographic history of Saint Laurent, the man and the fashion, from 1978, the year she first met him, to the last show he gave in 2002. With contributions from YSLs muses and admirers, including Catherine Deneuve, Lucie de la Falaise, Betty Catroux, Jacqueline de Ribes, André Leon Talley and Valerie Steele, this book represents the backstage experience at YSLs shows as Lowit experienced them. Whether surrounded by beautiful models or peeking at the catwalk from the wings, every moment was a magnificent photo opportunity. Lowit shares with the world magical moments of YSL intimate, social, absorbed in fashion and creates a unique portrait of this towering figure of postwar couture. This book will be coveted by Yves Saint Laurents many fans worldwide and by anyone interested in the very best of high fashion.

*Amazon.co.uk

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Ann Demeulemeester
Written by Ann Demeulemeester, Introduction by Patti Smith

Pub Date: October 28, 2014

The first and highly personal perspective into the work and processes of Ann Demeulemeester, one of the most influential and inspiring fashion designers of our time. Graduating from Antwerp’s Royal Academy of Fine Arts in 1981, Ann Demeulemeester (and her contemporaries in the Antwerp Six) transformed global fashion with an aggressive restatement of traditional fashion design and a polemical approach to luxury trends. Influenced by punk, she founded her label in 1985 and imbues her designs with a strong narrative and rebellious spirit. For Demeulemeester, fashion is a form of communication. Her complex language of contrasts covers a whole gamut of emotions. The tension is highly poetic, and her clothes reveal many layers of soul. Known for her elegant tailoring and dark yet glamorous aesthetic, she created a serene and darkly romantic world with an intriguing mix of edgy rebellion and sophistication. This book is a tribute to Demeulemeester’s historical career, with over 1,000 photographs approximating some of the mystery and detailing associated with her brand.

*Rizzoliusa.com

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Olivier Zahm: A Photographic Diary of Fashion, Art, and Sex

Paperback: 600 pages
Publisher: Rizzoli International Publications (1 Oct 2014)

The man behind Purple magazine is the chronicler of his generation, exposing the lifestyles of the creative elite through his intimate, autobiographical photographs.

*Amazon.co.uk

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Yohji Yamamoto
Written by Yohji Yamamoto, Contribution by Wim Wenders, Steve McQueen, Charlotte Rampling and Takeshi Kitano

Pub Date: October 14, 2014

The definitive monograph on the complete work of Yohji Yamamoto—one of fashion’s most transformative designers working today and widely acknowledged as a master of postwar fashion design. Since the early ’80s, Yohji Yamamoto’s groundbreaking silhouettes and innovative design aesthetic have propelled him to the highest rank of the international avant-garde. Distinguished by his antifashion approach, Yamamoto changed the face of contemporary fashion, radically transforming it with asymmetrical and highly conceptual designs partly inspired by the techniques of traditional Japanese kimonos. His vision came as a refreshing contrast to the power suits and brightly clad fashions of the time, forcing a reconsideration of the future direction of fashion. Yamamoto launched his first collection in 1977 in Tokyo and followed this success with the debut of his experimental and critically celebrated Yohji Yamamoto label in Paris in 1981. This luxuriously bound book explores all the major themes in his thirty years of counter-fashion design. Illustrated with photographs by Craig McDean, Inez & Vinoodh, Max Vadukul and Nick Knight, each chapter elaborates on a particular theme—his sartorial philosophy, influential extensions into scenography, runway shows, monographic exhibitions, and costume design—and is anchored by an essay or interview that lends crucial insight to the story of Yohji Yamamoto, one of the most enigmatic and iconoclastic fashion designers of our time.

*Rizzoliusa.com

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Glen Luchford: Pictorialism
Written by Glen Luchford, Contribution by Bella Freud

Pub Date: September 23, 2014

A visually arresting chronicle of the career of one of the top fashion photographers of a generation. Glen Luchford is a true fashion photographer’s photographer. His influential and imaginative style— iconic, elaborately lit, highly cinematic, with extreme narratives—reinvigorated fashion photography in the 1990s and 2000s. This book is a photographic artist’s diary documenting the span of Luchford’s thirty-three-year career. Presented in the form of one continuous overlapping photographic montage, the book consists of intermixed tear sheets, prints, Polaroids, objects, and ephemera. It includes the young Luchford’s first photographs of his U.K. post-punk, new romantic friends in the eighties; the best of his gritty nineties editorials, such as his iconic shoot of Kate Moss for The Face; his polished fashion work and celebrity portraits for publications such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, and W; as well as memorable advertising campaigns for Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, Chloé, and Calvin Klein.

*Rizzoliusa.com

fashion insider

Hey, does anybody know anything re: an interior design book w/ an intro written by John Galliano? I recall seeing it years ago, but can't find it for the life of me.

Anybody?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations