Books About Fashion & Designers - Recommendations ? - Page 29 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-06-2016
V.I.P.

Ive read this book has intresting point of view? Any opinions?

Gods and Kings: The Rise and Fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano

amazon.com

Alexander McQueen: Blood Beneath the Skin

amazon.com

scenester

I've read both of them as I'm a massive Lee McQueen devotee.
"Blood Beneath the Skin" is a very basic story that tells you how Lee McQueen grew up and how he came to be who he was based on very thorough research.
It follows his life almost chronologically, but I felt like some parts of his life had been left out.
I really liked how the author wrote the last part of the book though, where I couldn't help sobbing.

"Gods and Kings" is probably more crude. Alex Fury in fact criticised Dana Thomas for revealing too much about their private lives, but as a reader I have to say that I really enjoyed such raw anecdotes of two of the greatest designers of all time and they really helped me deepen the knowledge I had learnt in "Blood".

I read "Gods and Kings" after "Blood Beneath the Skin" If you are going to read both of them, I'd recommend you do the same as you might find "Blood" a bit disappointing otherwise.

Last edited by ominao; 07-07-2016 at 03:06 AM.
08-07-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominao View Post
I've read both of them as I'm a massive Lee McQueen devotee.
"Blood Beneath the Skin" is a very basic story that tells you how Lee McQueen grew up and how he came to be who he was based on very thorough research.
It follows his life almost chronologically, but I felt like some parts of his life had been left out.
I really liked how the author wrote the last part of the book though, where I couldn't help sobbing.

"Gods and Kings" is probably more crude. Alex Fury in fact criticised Dana Thomas for revealing too much about their private lives, but as a reader I have to say that I really enjoyed such raw anecdotes of two of the greatest designers of all time and they really helped me deepen the knowledge I had learnt in "Blood".

I read "Gods and Kings" after "Blood Beneath the Skin" If you are going to read both of them, I'd recommend you do the same as you might find "Blood" a bit disappointing otherwise.
Thank you

V.I.P.

I couldn't find an extra thread for it, but have any of you read any new and interesting publications on fashion theory recently? I'm pretty up to date as I 'do' fashion theory more or less professionally, but haven't really caught up last year. (Doesn't necessarily have to be in English.)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations