How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-05-2005
V.I.P.

Some other pictures from the book, courtesy of Amazon.com

06-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i've moved this into d&c...i know we've been trying to accumulate a collection of recommended books on fashion...so let's try this again...

please post any books which you would recommend on the subject of fashion, designers and their work...
i will make a thread for photography books in the photography section as well...

thanks everyone...

gorgeous images faust.....thx for sharing..

07-05-2005
fashion insider

Any of the Issey Miyake books - they are available at places such as Barnes and Noble and Amazon, I'll post a few later.

One personal recommendation - "National Geographic - Fashion"

Quote:
Fashion
While current fashion is fusing diverse cultural styles, National Geographic author Cathy Newman provides a fascinating global perspective on the historical and cultural significance of clothing and adornment. This timely—and timeless—subject is explored in evocative essays and lavish illustrations that offer a fresh perspective for today's style-obsessed culture.

Featuring lively, anecdotal interviews from contemporary designers, fashion editors, historians, and cultural anthropologists, Fashion offers a dynamic approach to this sumptuous topic from industry insiders. Newman, focusing on the body adorned, infuses her narrative with a sense of appreciation for the decadence and innovation that surrounds the notion of style. Intelligent, tantalizing, and extravagant, Fashion is a unique compilation of spectacular images, clothes, designs, and writing. 200 full-color and black-and-white photographs. 240 pages. Softcover. 10 3/4'' x 12''. © 2001

front row

I borrowed a book from the library called "British Fashion Design". Quite a good read but a little bit dated, written in 1999. Author is Angela McRobbie.

07-05-2005
blue

Favorite Fashion-Related Book?
whats your favorite fashion (or fashion related) book?

post away, ppl! :p

Of too many minds

Can I say Vogue?

Ok..seriously, it is a "Century of Bags" by Claire Wilcox.
It was the bag that really triggered my interest in bags.
I borrowed it from the library and I still like to flip through it every now and then, it always gives me a different perspective whenever I read it.

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
08-05-2005
V.I.P.

Belgian Fashion Design

10-05-2005
slightly dizzy

The Fashion Conspiracy: A Remarkable Journey Through the Empires of Fashion
by Nicholas Coleridge

10-05-2005
fashion icon

I personally like Fashion Now a great deal. I high reccomend it as a primer on a who's who of fashion design. In the back there is a guide to museums, schools, and stores all fashion related in the top fashion captiols (Antwerp, London, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Milan, New York, L.A., and Moscow)

10-05-2005
kit
tfs star

' Fashion at the edge ' by Caroline Evans .

I've posted a review here on the site but I cannot find it .

10-05-2005
tailored

Fashion Today by Colin McDowell
Galliano by Colin McDowell
Manolo Blahnik by Colin McDowell

scenester

Tom Ford's Book
Hi Guys

Did anyone here buy Tom Ford's book?

It was a photographic retrospective on his time at Gucci, as well as some autobiographical photos/information from himself.

I remember reading that at a book signing in London there was a line around the block.

The price is steep, which is the main reason I have held off on purchasing it until I can find someone who can tell me if it is a wortwhile purchase or not.

All opinions are welcome and encouraged!

Ciao
Jason

25-05-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

i was intending to go to the book signing at selfridges but it was absolutely packed - and a little too much attitude concentrated in one shop(!) i did buy a copy later and its what you'd expect- pretty pictures of pretty people- typical coffee table book. there is some interest in seeing how his style matured...

( and remember there are two editions- the regular version is only £45 at amazon)

aside, this is what amazon says about it
Tom Ford has become one of fashion's great icons. In the past decade, he transformed Gucci into one of the sexiest fashion brands in the world. His designs have increased sales at Gucci tenfold and have helped build that brand into the luxury goods conglomerate that it is today. Ford brought a hard-edged style synonymous with 21st-century glamour to his clothes, and Hollywood sat up and took note. This book is a complete catalogue of Ford's design work for both Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent from 1994 to 2004. It chronicles not only Ford's clothing and accessories designs for both houses, but also explores Ford's grand vision for the complete design of a brand, including architecture, store design and advertising. Tom Ford features more than 200 photographs by Richard Avedon, Mario Testino, Steven Meisel, Helmut Newton, Herb Ritts, Terry Richardson, Craig McDean, Todd Eberle, and numerous other photographers including many previously unpublished images. Published to coincide with his departure from Gucci, this book has been created with Ford's full co-operation and every page reflects his exceptional taste. It is Ford's testament to a career of singular moments reinventing the boundaries of style and sensuality in clothing.

30-05-2005
V.I.P.

On the Runway...a 20th century look at American fashion
r height='250';var width='300';var swf_path='http://cdn.fastclick.net/adserver.com/10002/nbi/mid5922/gaspump_gasyear_300x250_1.swf';var img_path='http://cdn.fastclick.net/adserver.com/10002/nbi/mid5922/gaspump_gasyear_300x250.gif';var click_url='http://z1.adserver.com/w/cp.x;rid=1139;tid=8;ev=2;ac=60;mid=5922;altclick=h ttp://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/MPFSGHPPENSQJGGISRLWVODYOTDFITKJSTLMPPCKGIIVGEJBBH JTUXKQUMUEMJLDRLIMJAJKEOJK/';var bcolor='#ffffff'; o
Ever wondered how and why U.S. fashions have gone from hoop skirts to hot pants, from zoot suits to sweat suits? A new book, Twentieth-Century American Fashion (Berg Publishers), co-edited by University of Rhode Island Professor Linda Welters with Ohio State University Associate Professor Patricia Cunningham, traces the socio-political, cultural and economic changes that have shaped American fashion changes over the last century.

The book examines the various cultural influences on dress such as class, jazz and hip hop, war, the space race, movies, television and sports. It also shows how gender, psychology, advertising, public policy, shifting family values, and U.S. expertise in mass production helped to create the American style that has since been exported worldwide.

Welters said an added source of pride on this important work is the contribution made by Hannel and her current and former graduate degree students. "This book truly reflects the level of research and dedication to the heritage and history of fashion and the collaborative nature of our work," said Welters.

For example, the first chapter in the book entitled: "Fashion in the Gilded Age: A Profile of Newport's King Family," was written by Rebecca J. Kelly of Newport, who received her M.S. in Textiles from URI in 2002 and now works in research and conservation at the Preservation Society of Newport County. An exhibition opened on April 8th at the Rosecliff mansion in Newport, R.I. featuring the Gilded Age clothing discussed in Kelly's article.

Hannel wrote about "The Influence of American Jazz on Fashion during the 1920s," and a chapter that looks at the future in the past, "Space Age Fashion," was written by Suzanne Baldaia, who graduated with her B.S. (1988) and M.S. (1993) degrees from URI and is now an associate professor at Johnson and Wales University in Providence, R.I.

Alumnus Amy Lund (URI 1994) of South Dartmouth, Mass., who is a handweaver, wrote about "The Onondaga Silk Company's 'American Artist Print Series of 1947," with Welters, and Deborah Saville, who is now completing her M.S. degree at URI and is the caretaker of the Watson House in Kingston, R.I., wrote the chapter on "Dress and Culture in Greenwich Village in the 1910s."

Other chapters delve into such topics as fashion on film in the 1930s, dressing for success in the 1970s, Beat Generation fashions, and the wardrobe influence of Hip-Hop.

Last edited by model_mom; 30-05-2005 at 03:07 PM.
30-05-2005
front row

Vice.

The book. It's like 30 years of the magazine's Dos and Dont's...not so much intelligent, but oooh so hilarious and lots of picutres.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations