How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-05-2005
Stitch:the Hand

Bernhard Willhelm 99-2004-really an exhibtion catalogue to coincide with the one that was held at Apartment in Berlin last year. Great book if you're a big fan of BW and keen on seeing some of his early works...brilliant design and look-book images by Freudenthal Verhagen
Martin Margiela Street Special Edition Volumes 1&2-again a sort of timeline of all his amazing works since he began in '88.

30-05-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
The Fashion Conspiracy: A Remarkable Journey Through the Empires of Fashion
by Nicholas Coleridge
amazing read indeed tott
fashion at the edge> got it -under kit's suggestion- a long time ago but havent read it yet, seems very interesting visual-wise

*getting the chanel ny exhibition catalogue in a few days

30-05-2005

This thread actually reminded me of one I've been wanting. I just bought the new "Spectres: When Fashion Turns Back" catalogue book from the Malign Muses exhibtion in Antwerp and London.

Amazon's got it listed for $34,if anybody's interested. And it's over with now at V&A,so it will be a great visual guide if anybody didn't make it to the exhibition.

30-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
This thread actually reminded me of one I've been wanting. I just bought the new "Spectres: When Fashion Turns Back" catalogue book from the Malign Muses exhibtion in Antwerp and London.

Amazon's got it listed for $34,if anybody's interested. And it's over with now at V&A,so it will be a great visual guide if anybody didn't make it to the exhibition.

I was looking at it too, but I thought it wasn't worth the money. Almost all the image from the book are available online for free. The pix were choicy, though.

30-05-2005
windowshopping

A quick related question: for the fashion writers out there - wut books would u recommend as a primer to the industry? In terms of history, style, etc?

U see, I'd been doing the whole fashion writing thing for quite some time, but coming from a country that has no fashion culture of its own, I have no proper background in a sense. I do learn fast, but I do wanna take my craft to the next level.

Anybody? Thanks,

30-05-2005
V.I.P.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ad.php?t=27049

Here is a link that might help you.

30-05-2005
doing it

I have that one about the collection at the Kyoto Costume Institute too...just a really beautiful book. Various periods and influences. I recommend it to everyone.It is a gorgeous collection of garments.

01-06-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
I was looking at it too, but I thought it wasn't worth the money. Almost all the image from the book are available online for free. The pix were choicy, though.
I just want to see if they showed any of Jurgi's stuff :p

18-06-2005
backstage pass

The Kyoto Costume Institute book is great and F.Y.I. Taschen will be reprinting it (in two volumes with a slipcase) as part of their 25th birthday celebration so it'll only be $25.
I second Bernhard Willhelm '99-'04. Everytime I look at it I find something else I love.
I also recommend New Fashion Japan, even though it's a bit dated now. I wouldn't say it's amazing, but there are some good visuals and it's only $8.25 from amazon!
The Marimekko book has nice images of their designs.
La Maison Martin Margiela: (99/4/1615) is only okay unless you are really interested in his studies with mold.

22-06-2005
windowshopping

I am suprised no one mentioned bill blass's auto biography, BLASS, I found it really interesting, compelling, and motivating. I mean here is a rags to riches story for the fashion world...who doesn't love that?

23-06-2005
trendsetter

Fashion at the Edge - Caroline Evans
Galliano - collin McDowell
Vivienne Westwood - Clare Wilcox (the V&A book)
i actually like Fashion Now theres not a lot of information in there and some of the designers i personally wouldnt have put in there but i think for the images its a good buy, i'm sure you could get it cheaper than $30 its like £4.99 in the books sales over here

14-07-2005
windowshopping

i have the kyoto institute book too
i got it at the viktor & rolf exhibition at the mori art museum in tokyo last fall, and i love it. such beautiful pictures and lots of information.

20-07-2005
backstage pass

i really enjoy fashion and surrealism by richard martin.

21-08-2005
windowshopping

Can you sell me that book faust? I can't seam to find it online
Id also like more tips please

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations