How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-09-2005
backstage pass

look through these two books, but read their writing very carefully- i learned a LOT from them. plus the photography blows my mind. i wish magazines still had the quality of the images in these two books:

People In Vogue: A Century of Portraits
Unseen Vogue

seriously. i'm a total bookworm and i learned just as much from these two books as i did from the Phaidon (mountains of pages) on fashion.

19-09-2005
backstage pass

Bergdorf BlondesI was drooling for a pair of Manolos and a ride on a pj for days after I finished that book!

19-09-2005
backstage pass

that book made me laugh uncontrollably. it was an excellent tongue-in-cheek description of the world plum sykes lives and breathes for. the book was even better because sykes wrote it. because she's one of those absolutely fabulously shallow and wealthy fashionistas who we ADORE TO MAKE FUN OF!
oh, i love thou, bergdorf blondes.

V.I.P.

Don't have any I should buy more fashion related books.

19-09-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosette
Karl Lagerfield: A Portrait of Dorian Gray

(From www.amazon.com)
"In his youth, Dorian Gray had his portrait painted and, because the painting wonderfully preserved a carefree moment, Gray begged for a trade-off: the painting would age and he himself would remain young and handsome forever. That's exactly what happened until one day, in a rage, he stabbed the canvas and died. What remained was a flawless portrait of youth.

Karl Lagerfeld has staged the core of Oscar Wilde's famous novel in his own way. He shows a luxurious Bohemian world as in the freeze-frames of a film. Young people celebrate, paying homage to beautiful bodies and devoting themselves to the moment. Right up until the metamorphosis begins. Then the young man changes into an old man and the pretty woman into her own death mask. This book tells the story as a film, reflecting a world of fashion and glamour, and suggesting the aesthetics of Caravaggio or the pre-Raphaelites. With this publication, Karl Lagerfeld, one of the great protagonists of the fashion scene, makes his contribution--not entirely irony-free--to the subject of the transitory nature of beauty. Clothbound, 9.75 x 10.25 in. / 88 pgs / Illustrated throughout."
Bathing in the blood of virgins to restore his eternal youth was just too common for Karla...

Naturellement pulpeuse

Fashion Today - Colin McDowell

V.I.P.

The Phaidon book - Sample

This book is a visual dream.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
19-09-2005
V.I.P.

Hedi Slimane's London: Birth Of A Cult. Does that count? My city (London), my boys (The Libertines, The Paddingtons) and a great artist (Slimane) =perfect.

20-09-2005
windowshopping

Do anyone have tips for books that are more oriented towards male fashion throughout history? or any book thats geared towards male fashion will work i guess.

Can someone sell me their Belgian Fashion design btw? (For under 50$)
If asking is against the rules feel free to delete this

front row

Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro

"When your life goes up in smoke, then you know it's time for a promotion" --Nigel in The Devil Wears Prada.
20-09-2005
go red sox

I know I've already posted this but I'm gonna explain them for those who don't know.

The Bombshell Manual of Style - excellent book about what bombshells (marilyn, rita, sophia, etc) would wear - Everyone should read this
Front Row: Anna Wintour - great gossipy book about anna - did you know she didn't go to college?
A.L.T. (Andre Leon Talley's memoir) - i love how he describes his childhood - how he would walk to the store every sunday after church to buy fashion mags
D.V. (Diana Vreeland's memoir) - no explanation needed
The Fashionista Files - just some funny reading about do's and don'ts
Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl - french fashion, cuisine, film, etc
The Power of Glamour - for inspiration
The Power of Style - ditto
Wear More Cashmere - when you need a pick-me-up
Life is a Movie Starring You - love this girl - so cool
The Looks Book - different looks (goth, glam, prep, etc)

And one more:
The Bohemian Manifesto - by the author of the bombshell manual of style - except for the bohemian

20-09-2005
V.I.P.

not sure if this is fashion related but i enjoyed THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA [which is shooting right now in NYC]
it was a good beach read and it made strong connotations to Anna Wintour and how she runs US Vogue...

09-12-2005
fashion icon

What are your favourite fashion books?
I'm planning to read 'The Devil wears Prada'. Any other books I can read to learn more about the fashion industry?

09-12-2005
backstage pass

lol eh devil isnt very telling on most of the real scene... um i dont know what other books

i actually want to admit that i want to read cool life and hot times of anna wintour and i wondered if anyone had some feedback about it? not only fashion related but if its a half decent read? believable?
x thanks

try looking up authors of fictions that have perhaps worked in the industry in respected magazines and the such - it wont be a biography or anything but they might give some close to first hand info through story lines. these people never seem to stray from the 'there was once a young girl who used to work in a magazine' who was either a: delusioned by the industry, or b: looking for a rich soulmate, so these stories may be what you are looking for if u enjoy the look of devil. i enjoyed it by the way not trying to patronise just thought it may have been a bit overly exagerated about the industry to indulge a more fictional storyline

Last edited by fashionistasista; 09-12-2005 at 06:41 AM.
09-12-2005
V.I.P.

^^Most fashion fiction books I've read have been really fluffy and not at all engaging. They seem to present stereotypes of the fashion world rather than the realities.

I prefer fashion biographies or fashion history books.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, fashion, recommendations