How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-05-2005
front row

great thread! Any recommendations of books for textile designs - or getting your designs onto fabric/textiles (for fashion)?

01-06-2005
doing it

fairchild has a book about U4ia software (textile print design software capable of printing direct to the fabric) but thats a 70,000 dollar lectra program

Theres another book about designing prints in photoshop, its by kathleen colussy. I have it but havent gone through it carefully yet. But I dont know how you actually get that printed unless your working with a company. If youre in georgia then you should contact ...I think University of Georgia has a textile science program. Just call their program's office and ask.

Last edited by marrimoda; 01-06-2005 at 08:29 AM.
01-06-2005
front row

I will check out UGA's program - thanks marrimoda!

01-06-2005
doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by purreow*
I will check out UGA's program - thanks marrimoda!
Sure..by the way I just peeked inside the book I have, because your question is one that I've had tucked in the back of my head for a while, but I just havent had the time to explore this.

I'm looking in the book and there are color photos of print design concept illustrations, with photos of the image printed on finished garments. Theres also photos of textile printer hardware, software, and printer from DuPont.Actually there are photos of textile printers from many manufacturers. the printer prices are several thousand dollars. i would think there would be a place you could take your designs to have them printed...besides the typical screenprinting of tee shirts.

Theres also mention of some textile association websites, which I have not looked at yet,
www.fabricad.com
www.techexchange.com
www.AATCC.com
www.fibersource.com/afma/afma.htm

The book I'm looking at is called Rendering Fashion, Fabric, & Prints with Adobe Photoshop. by kathleen colussy and steve greenberg. It has a lot of info, and comes with a cd.
Maybe you can get some useful info from those sites.

Let us know what you find out.

01-06-2005
doing it

^well those websites from the book are apparently outdated. There are many more in the book.

02-06-2005
front row

Thanks much!!! This is a big help!

09-06-2005
rising star

I have just gone back through this thread and picked up more stuff I forgot so thanks once again everyone!

12-09-2005
windowshopping

has anyone purchased/read startingaclothingline.com book??
Hey all

I just wanted to know if anyone has purchased or read the books from http://www.startingaclothingline.com. If so is it any good, i mean is it worth buying, or is it pretty much useless? The site has some of the worst customer service ever, i sent them an email asking if they could lower the shipping price as i live overseas, and it is like $55 shipping for 2 books, and they just replied with "sorry we cant", thats it a 3 word reply, no from/best-regards nothing . I am a student so at the moment US$55 for shipping is kind of harsh .

I also found another book while i was searching online at http://www.fashionforprofit.com has anyone read this one, and would they recommend it?

I know you's guys are probably thinking that i should just buy the books and see for myself, but i have purchased so many "starting your own brand" fashion design books in the past, and alot of them were completly useless. Also if anyone can recommend me any good useful books/information for starting your own brand, I would be very grateful as i want to start making samples by the end of this month hopefully. Any help with making samples/manufacturing etc. will also be greatly appreciated. I have been studying/reading and trying to get as much knowledge in the industry as i can for over a year now, and i decided it is about time to actually start making the samples, and see what happens from there.

12-09-2005
etre soi-meme

hmm havent read those, but they sure sound interesting
thanks for the topic allvogue and welcome to tFS

14-09-2005
rising star

Have you tried amazon.com? they have lots of selection for fashion/retail business You will also get to read reviews from customers who bought the books you're interested in.

14-09-2005
windowshopping

Hi, yea i have tried amazon. I just wanted to purchase this book, and see how good it is

16-09-2005
windowshopping

I would say fashion for profit is not worth the money, I bought it expecting clear cut directions in terms of manufacturing, pattern making, etc. If you are just starting off and need very basic info such as how to write an invoice or info on how to deal with a sales rep then it is fine.

It covers your basics, I just expected it to be more direct. It is a good reference book, but I would say that is it.

It also has typing erros and has not been edited.

16-09-2005
windowshopping

okay, thanks for the tip

17-09-2005
rising star

I haven't seen the books and that is the first time I've seen that website but my personal opinion is that if you have to hype an industry book up that much it probably isn't worth it. Afterall you don't see ANY hype for the really good patternmaking and draping books. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

I'm not sure what books you're looking at buying but I'm sure you can find all the information, and probably more detailed, just by reading these forums and doing your own research. As far as presenting to buyers I doubt much has changed, just go to the library and find some older fashion industry book and also look at the thread in here, there was some good advice. For industry contacts the ones they are giving you you can easily get yourself from your local apparel organization. It's not like they are telling you how to contact big name designers personally, it's is just contacts for manufacturers and whatnot. For the step by step guide to starting a clothing like you can totally figure that out yourself. I mean first you need to draw your designs, then you need to price them but if you are not experienced in that yet you make the samples first so that you can price them, once the samples are made you find a manufacturer, then you find buyers, then you get them manufactured.

I mean that's really breaking it down simply but I doubt those books are meant for anyone who already has some knowledge and if you have been researching for a year you probably already know almost everything in them. They're meant for people who don't know anything about the industry and have some half assed idea they're going to go out and start a clothing line and so they spend this money on an all-in-one get-rich-quick gimick package and then probably never do anything with it.

Of course that is just my personal opinion...take it or leave it. But if you are concerned about the cost I'd say you are better off buying a book that was published by Fairchild Books as they make most of the textbooks used in schools.

17-09-2005
rising star

www.fairchildbooks.com is the address, you can download their catalogue and then if you see a book you like and you can't find it anywhere your local university may be able to or you can try calling one of the big schools and asking if they can order it in for you and mail it (assuming there are none in your city that is)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, developing, draping, fashion, line, patterns, sewing