How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-06-2006
windowshopping

Books on knowing the industry. Please help!
I started a brand with no previous knowledge of designing and surprisingly it's been doing pretty well but, I really don't have a clue on what I'm doing or how to run a company. I NEED HELP FAST!!!!!

Can anyone recommend book's on:
1. Everything you would learn in a designing program (or close enough!) I'm doing clothes on a street fashion level but, I would like to expand on some cut & sew and I'm really interested in learning more. I know how to sew and make a few amateur patterns but, that's about it.
2. How to run and manage your own clothing company. An outline of who does what. If my company expands pass my living room then, I would have to hire more people.

I'm willing to learn and wish I had learnt it when I was in school. Unfortunately where I live, they don't offer any college level programs in English so, I would have to learn it through books.
Thank you so much in advance and bare with my "Sewing for dummies!"

02-06-2006
scenester

i'm not necessarily sure this is would help you, but i think this book is fantastic!
Fashion Brands: Branding Style From Armani To Zara

02-06-2006
scenester

The Fashion Designer Survival Guide : An Insider's Look at Starting and Running Your Own Fashion Business

02-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey0806
The Fashion Designer Survival Guide : An Insider's Look at Starting and Running Your Own Fashion Business
i second that!

backstage pass

^ me too, although I haven't yet read it, I've heard nothing but good things and it has helped many people start their own business

03-06-2006
windowshopping

I'M sooooooo EXCITED!!!!
So, did all of you go to school for designing? If so do you feel that it really helped your career?

03-06-2006
scenester

In true honesty, design school is simply design school. Majoring in fashion design teaches you nothing or at least not enough to run your own business.

If you want to run your own business you'd be better off majoring or studying business before majoring in fashion design. Fashion design just teaches you how to be a designer working for someone else and gives you the skills to sketching/designing, patternmaking, draping, garment construction. That's all you really learn in design school.

03-06-2006
windowshopping

Ok,
So what do you guys think is the most helpful book on how to sew.
I found two that I was interested in...
"Sewing secrets from the fashion industry"
"High fashion sewing secrets from the worlds best designers"
Anybody read any of these?

03-09-2006
windowshopping

Books for Fashion DESIGN, Sewing, Draping -- technical side of Fashion
Hey everyone,
I'm new here. I did a search for similar topics but I didn't really find any that hit the nail on its head.
I'm finishing secondary school this year and I want to have a career in fashion design. I wouldn't really say that I'm a beginner at garment construction, because I've taken some basic sewing classes and have taught myself other things apart from that (from the handy dandy internet, of course! . I'm in the process of preparing a portfolio for the eventual university of my choice, so i just wanted to know what text books I should buy now that would help me improve skills now as well as be handy later. Should I buy a book on draping as well as fashion illustration? What other books would help me with a portfolio? Any recommendations that you can't live without?

06-09-2006
front row

I don't know about illustration books, but Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Armstrong is really good if you're interested in making your garments from scratch, and also The Art of Manipulating Fabric by Colette Wolff, it has soo many wonderful creative techniques.

06-09-2006
front row

I have a book called "Portfolio Presentation for fashion designers" by Linda Tain that I'm using right now to help me get my portfolio together. Also you may try getting a book on flat pattern. An old one would be fine since it hasn't really changed. The one I lerned from is by Norma R. Hollen and it's an old copy from the 80's. As far as fashion illlustration, I love "fashion illustration next".

windowshopping

Thanks alot everyone. Went prodding around amazon and many of the books mentioned have received great reviews. Oh, and I know I sound like a total newbie, but what exactly is flat pattern making? If I drafted a simple a- line skirt on a sheet of paper, is that flat pattern making? And flat as opposed to what other kind exactly?

Last edited by hello_veronica; 07-09-2006 at 01:56 PM.
07-09-2006
V.I.P.

Yes, that is^
The other is the draping method, where you use a dress form (mannequin) and put the fabric over it and create the garment that way.

Good luck!

27-01-2009
rising star

Seems some of these books have been mentioned here before but I'll post them again since I think they are worthy of being bought.
Fashion For Profit (Perfect Paperback)

by Frances J Harder

Couture Sewing Techniques [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback)

by Claire B. Shaeffer (Author)

High Fashion Sewing Secrets from the World's Best Designers: A Step-By-Step Guide to Sewing Stylish Seams, Buttonholes, Pockets, Collars, Hems, And More (Rodale Sewing Book) (Paperback)

by Claire B. Shaeffer (Author), Glee Barre (Illustrator)

The Fashion Designer Survival Guide, Revised and Expanded Edition: Start and Run Your Own Fashion Business (Paperback)

by Mary Gehlhar (Author), Diane Von Furstenberg (Author)

Details Men's Style Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Making Your Clothes Work for You by Daniel Peres
Patternmaking for Fashion Design
by Helen Joseph Armstrong

The Art of Manipulating Fabric
by Colette Wolff

Portfolio Presentation for fashion designers
by Linda Tain

windowshopping

i'd like to suggest the book Fashion: From Concept to Consumer by Gini Stephens Frings

here's a link

the book is really informative. i actually have an old copy (1999 edition) but i still find it rather accurate.

contents: Fashion Development, Consumer Demand and Fashion Marketing, Fashion Change and Consumer Acceptance, Fashion Research and Analysis, Raw Materials of Fashion (Fabrics, Trimmings, Notions), International Fashion Centers, Product and Design Development, Apparel Production, Accessories manufacturing, Wholesale Markets, Sales Promotion and Distribution, Fashion Retailing and Merchandising, Career Guidelines and some Fashion Terminology.

basically everything about the fashion business.

another book i would like to recommend is Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph-Armstrong
even if you know nothing about patternmaking, you'll learn it from this book. i also have an old edition of the book (1987) but it is really useful.

Here's a link

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
books, designers, developing, draping, fashion, line, patterns, sewing